Recommendations for a sewing machine?

March 25, 2009, 3:13 p.m.

Hoping to get some advice/personal experience about sewing machines.
I'm looking to replace the old sewing machine I had that worked fine for about 15 years of not so frequent use. I think it was a Brother, but not 100% sure. I was a basic, solid machine (metal body).

My requirements:
Sturdy, long lasting quality. ie last 20 yrs +
Able to deal with a variety of fabrics, especially thougher types like denim and mtb short material, or fur for costumes.
Basic stitches, no need for any fancy quilting
Budget: up to 250$
* Basically, I need a long lasting machine that will be able to get some hems done as well as basic things like mtb shorts, jerseys, skirts, wolf costumes etc…

So far, I haven't had the chance to shop around much so I've only got 2 machines on my radar:
Brother XL-3510. (Walmart just dropped the price to 120$ from 169.98 )

http://www.brother-usa.com/HomeSewing/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=XL3510

Janome Sewist 521
Can get it at SaveOn for 169$ plus a few points. usually retails for about 250-300$

http://www.janome.ca/521s.html

So, any other machines you can recommend? Or brand you trust from personal experience? Any particular stores I should visit tha would have various brands available? Stores where I could find a good quality used machine?

:canada: :czech:

March 25, 2009, 3:55 p.m.

Is there still a fabric store in Westview Mall? I know that they sold used machines, but it's been a few years since I looked.

For used machines, I would ask around at the smaller fabric stores.

Do you have any pics of your wolf costumes?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 25, 2009, 4:18 p.m.

From last years Ripper - Super D. I think someone must have a few of the full thing.

March 25, 2009, 4:39 p.m.

my only recommendation is to get a machine that will take the metal bobbins… I've heard that machines that take the plastic bobbins aren't built as well (more plastic than metal…) That being said I am not sure if many of the machines sold today come with metal bobbins.

dee

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

March 25, 2009, 5:45 p.m.

OK, I definitely need one of those.

That is all.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 25, 2009, 8:54 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2130946]my only recommendation is to get a machine that will take the metal bobbins… I've heard that machines that take the plastic bobbins aren't built as well (more plastic than metal…) That being said I am not sure if many of the machines sold today come with metal bobbins.

dee

not sure where you heard that from, but it's definitely not true - but i guess it would depend on the brand. i've had a husqvarna for the past 6 years and the plastic bobbins are fine. i sew a LOT too so if anyone would know about longevity it's me :P

that westview store is gone - albee's - something about not wanting to renew their lease.

$250 isn't going to give you a heck of a lot unfortunately. a really good brand at a lower price point is White - they're made by Husqvarna. Brother is good too i think. Personally I'd steer clear of Janome, i've always felt their machines felt kind of cheap and plasticy. but that's just me. Pfaff is good but overpriced IMO.

check out:
Poco Sewing [HTML_REMOVED] Vacuum
Mason's (on main street) - i think they sell used machines, the people there are awesome. they sell babylock
Sundrop Textiles - husqvarna and white

March 25, 2009, 10:35 p.m.

$250 isn't going to give you a heck of a lot unfortunately. a really good brand at a lower price point is White - they're made by Husqvarna. Brother is good too i think. Personally I'd steer clear of Janome, i've always felt their machines felt kind of cheap and plasticy. but that's just me. Pfaff is good but overpriced IMO.

Thanks for all the advice…

After looking at the White website, I realized that the sewing machine I had was not a Brother, but a White "Blue jeans machine". I was happy with it for the 15 yrs I had it, so I might just see if I can find another White that I like.

March 25, 2009, 10:44 p.m.

could the old one be fixed?

or is it melted?

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 25, 2009, 11:01 p.m.

i think there will be a better response if you post this in nbr

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 25, 2009, 11:02 p.m.

or is it melted?

Melted :( or even more likely fully carbonized…

March 25, 2009, 11:07 p.m.

or is it melted?

ZIP TIES FIX EVERYTHING :)

Too bad they won't let us up into the wreckage to atleast get pictures. I want to see all the melted stuff.

March 25, 2009, 11:10 p.m.

get one of these badboys off craigslist, I've tried to use one, but it scares the shit out of me.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 26, 2009, 9:04 a.m.

^^^hahaha those things are so f'in fast, you'd probably sew over your fingers before you'd even realized it. they can be really finicky too, threading and such. i used to have an industrial coverstitch machine, finally sold it as it just took up room, the tables are pretty big. wouldn't mind an industrial serger though. we'll see if my latest project takes off or not.

March 26, 2009, 10:31 a.m.

not sure where you heard that from, but it's definitely not true - but i guess it would depend on the brand. i've had a husqvarna for the past 6 years and the plastic bobbins are fine. i sew a LOT too so if anyone would know about longevity it's me :P

that westview store is gone - albee's - something about not wanting to renew their lease.

check out:
Poco Sewing [HTML_REMOVED] Vacuum
Mason's (on main street) - i think they sell used machines, the people there are awesome. they sell babylock
Sundrop Textiles - husqvarna and white

My machine is a White "Jeans Machine" it is 22+ years old and works great! Glad to hear they still make them. It is tough, has the basic stuff…button hole, some fancy stitches. Very durable.
K.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

April 30, 2009, 5:49 p.m.

howdy, I was surfing/lurking and I just had to register for this thread…. sewing and bike freak here.

here's an article that might help you pick a machine. I'm a fan of used Euro machines if you are on a limited budget.
http://www.cet.com/~pennys/faq/smfaq.htm

I've made a ton of jerseys over the years, lycra shorts and am now trying to perfect a set of baggies. There's no patterns out there so there's a bit of tweaking involved.

geargrrl