New to the Shore

Jan. 23, 2007, 10:19 p.m.

Hi,
I'm not new to mtn biking, but am new to the shore stuff. I've never been, but am itching to go. This year I've picked up a Transition Bottlerocket and am wanting to try it out. The most I've ridden is Galbraith in Bellingham, WA and did some beginner trails at Whistler. What should be my first stop in the North Shore area for some beginner/intermediate riding. I'm ok doing decents, getting better at dropping and am pretty good at rocky terrain with my new bike and skinnies. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Oh and after I know I can ride this stuff, I'm so going to be in on some women's rides…

Jan. 23, 2007, 11:15 p.m.

Well, I just read this thread http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=82075[HTML_REMOVED]page=2 and it sounds like SFU is the place to start. Any trails inparticular? Does anyone have a map or know where I can pick one up? Thanks!

Jan. 24, 2007, 4:44 p.m.

not sure about sfu but the local bike shops all have trailmaps and you can look at www.gutsploder.com for North Shore trails - complete with pics so you can evaluate what will scare the shit out of you and what won't.

Jan. 24, 2007, 6:26 p.m.

there is a map book out there called "the other north shore" and it is for the tri cities area(coquitlam,port coquitlam,and burnaby mtn).i picked it up at black dog bikes in coquitlam.good descriptions of trail types and experience levels etc.if you want a good starter trail on burnaby mtn(sfu)try nicoles trail.lots of fun 'n' flow.

BREAKIN HEARTS AND BREAKIN PARTS SINCE 76'

Jan. 25, 2007, 1:43 a.m.

SFU in burnaby is a great place to start riding our terrain, but it is very mellow. If you already have a grasp on riding I would suggest riding NEDS on Mt. Seymour in North Vancouver.

By checking the Ride Planning Tails sub-forum you can easily hook up with fellow riders.

Have fun!

Jan. 25, 2007, 1:16 p.m.

there is a map book out there called "the other north shore" and it is for the tri cities area(coquitlam,port coquitlam,and burnaby mtn).i picked it up at black dog bikes in coquitlam.good descriptions of trail types and experience levels etc.if you want a good starter trail on burnaby mtn(sfu)try nicoles trail.lots of fun 'n' flow.

The book is out of print now, and I heard Black Dog Bikes closed down.

BMBA has a trail map online here:
http://test.borderlinereckless.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2[HTML_REMOVED]Itemid=33[HTML_REMOVED]g2_itemId=31

Jan. 25, 2007, 9:40 p.m.

Thanks all! I'll go out and try Mel's/Nicole's on SFU first, then if I do good with that, I'll try Neds.
Thanks for the map CraigH!

Jan. 26, 2007, 12:38 a.m.

If you need a tour guide I'm usually up there riding with buddies from the univesity.

Jan. 26, 2007, 8:03 a.m.

Thanks for the map CraigH!

You're welcome. There is a very old trail map here:
http://www.math.sfu.ca/~stockie/images/bmbcbig.gif

Some of the trails shown are now closed though.

The MudBunnies ride Burnaby Mtn a lot so hooking up for a ride on those trails should be easy.

Jan. 26, 2007, 3:53 p.m.

Try this

http://www.bmba.ca/

SFU Burnaby Mountain is a good place to get your confidence up then head to the shore.

Live 2 Ride

Jan. 27, 2007, 8:56 p.m.

If you need a tour guide I'm usually up there riding with buddies from the univesity.

Are the trails rideable right now?

Jan. 27, 2007, 10:53 p.m.

^^ Yes, All trails are good to go.

Jan. 29, 2007, 8:05 p.m.

All the trails off North Road on the East side of the mountain are good, but the WEST side is DEVASTATED all the trails are a mess. All the TREEs are on the ground.
The North Road trails are all XC pedaling type trails good in either direction, if your looking to get a DH fix short and sweet, you have a 20-30 minute climb up Trans Canada trail then cut through the campus to the trail head which is near the Science Building AKA Garden Drop. The trail drops down through the woods and dumps you out on University Drive, which you cross to get on to Mels trail , leads to Nicoles trail. Nicoles takes you back down to the bottom of the Mountain, then it's a short pedal back up to North Rd . There are other ways down the Mountain, which are not as popular but you kind need some one to lead the way.

Live 2 Ride