Looking for some riding buddies

July 18, 2008, 3:18 p.m.

In general though, shouldn't the smaller group of riders yield to the bigger group? Of course ideally everyone should make room for everyone else.

Yes I understand, in every intellectual argument (on the trail or off) the one who is physically stronger is always right :D. I like the way you think he-he.

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

July 18, 2008, 3:20 p.m.

narrow viewpoint? the guy just says he'd prefer not to get run off the trail by a pack of riders. i'm thinking you're taking more offense here than you should simply because me mentioned it was a group of women.

no, he said that clinics should be run in bike parks.

July 18, 2008, 3:24 p.m.

In a perfect world. I also said it would be cool on public trails but not at peak hours.

July 18, 2008, 3:24 p.m.

In general though, shouldn't the smaller group of riders yield to the bigger group? Of course ideally everyone should make room for everyone else.

Huh? Big pack owns small pack rule?

Is this a joke?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 18, 2008, 3:26 p.m.

he said a lot more than that. go back and re-read his post for some of his other options.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 18, 2008, 3:27 p.m.

Is this a joke?

What do you mean a joke? There is another rule, you always yield to the guy in a bigger car… err… on a bigger bike :D :lol:

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

July 18, 2008, 3:31 p.m.

Is this a joke?

Someone once told me that on the water, the small boat always makes way for the big ship. That makes sense and seems fine to apply it to this situation as well. In either case I don't see how the opposite would make any more sense. Take in mind, that 90[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of the time i ride solo, and the other 10% I ride with one or two other.

July 18, 2008, 3:35 p.m.

he said a lot more than that. go back and re-read his post for some of his other options.

i read his other options and they're somewhat unrealistic ie people work during the day during the week, so their weekends are the only time to get out, that and during evenings during the week which are also the busiest times on the trails because again this is pretty when the majority of people ride.

in a perfect world there would be trails designated for "clinics only" but as people want to learn on "real" trails it's not really an option. maybe someday it will be.

i understand his frustration and i really think the only option here is to educate the ride leaders to transmit trail etiquette to their riders. it's really the best place to learn it in any event.

fwiw, i have been run over on seymour trails from riders in large groups, so i do know where sammyJ is coming from - they weren't in clinics but just groups of riders. pretty much why i dont really ride the shore much anymore. the trails i ride on are loamy and empty (except for bears)

July 18, 2008, 3:46 p.m.

Take in mind, that 90% of the time i ride solo, and the other 10% I ride with one or two other.

Well, I ride 95% solo as well, and I don't expect to yield to two riders if I'm grinding up Old Buck/Baden Powell and they're going down. And neither do the polite riders expect me to yield in that situation.

Taking all things into account, the pack size should not factor into who yields. Under that principal, the biggest pack owns the trail all the time and you get the situation that SammyJ ran into.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 18, 2008, 4:25 p.m.

Well, I ride 95% solo as well, and I don't expect to yield to two riders if I'm grinding up Old Buck/Baden Powell and they're going down. And neither do the polite riders expect me to yield in that situation.

I agree with you.

Taking all things into account, the pack size should not factor into who yields. Under that principal, the biggest pack owns the trail all the time and you get the situation that SammyJ ran into.

Obviously big always wins gets you all sorts of weird behaviour that doesn't work (e.g. your uphill climb example), but I think that there are a number of situations where it's least disruptive for the smaller group to yield to the bigger group.

Ultimately though, I think we just need to remember that none of us owns these trails (unless of course we are rich and own a mountain) and remember the lesson learned from pre-school/kindergarten about about how to share.

July 18, 2008, 4:43 p.m.

but I think that there are a number of situations where it's least disruptive for the smaller group to yield to the bigger group.

I agree with the least disruptive part, but then you run into the situation of 4-5 bikers (or hikers for that matter) hogging the trail, especially on MUTs. Needless to say, I could go on and on, and I'm sure you could too.

People just need to be more considerate and aware of other users.

Leaders of organized group rides can take a proactive role in this. Conversely, this type of trail etiquette is better learned by seeing and doing, rather than being told off the trail.

July 18, 2008, 4:45 p.m.

Sanrensho,

In practice we probably don't disagree that much.

July 18, 2008, 5:03 p.m.

Sanrensho,

In practice we probably don't disagree that much.

Oh, absolutely. I'm sure we are both grumbling under our breath when trying to weave through and overtake the dog pack of riders.;)

See you on the trails.