Looking for some riding buddies

July 18, 2008, 10:19 a.m.

I havent been out on my bike in about a year now, but need to get back into it. before i was an intermediate rider but have probably taken a HUGE step back with all the time off. If anyone is a beginner rider and heading to whistler or woodlot sometime soon and wants to do a few runs let me know

July 18, 2008, 11:10 a.m.

i'd suggest you check out the forum on www.muddbunnies.com. lots of women riders of all levels and rides happen all the time.

July 18, 2008, 11:17 a.m.

I am a new rider and will be in Whistler this Saturday, but I am not female :).

You can also check out http://www.nsride.com/ - plenty of organized rides there for all levels.

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

July 18, 2008, 11:27 a.m.

Huh, so that's why Seymour was a shuttle zoo yesterday. I'll have to bookmark their ride schedule, so I can avoid riding at the same times.

actually most of them rode SFU yesterday - a few dozen people! But they are cool, didn't pass me on the climb, saved whatever was left of my ego :).

all investing is is a type of arbitrage, and thats not gambling. theres an element of risk and potential of profit involved, but those are broad and dont qualify somthing as gambling.

most Christians I know, myself included, would say that science is the way through which we learn about everything that God has created, but we learn at the pace which he sets for us.

July 18, 2008, 11:47 a.m.

actually most of them rode SFU yesterday - a few dozen people! But they are cool, didn't pass me on the climb, saved whatever was left of my ego :).

My bad, I parsed their site too quickly.

Maybe it was another organized ride, but I've never seen so many shuttles go up on a weekday. It was a freakin' zoo on Seymour, and all going up at approximately the same time.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 18, 2008, 11:53 a.m.

I too have an issue with commercial operations using public trails to conduct for-profit clinics.

Myself and a few friends were riding seymour a few months ago and got run off bridal path (literally run off the path, after trying to avoid oncoming riders) by a group of women engaged in a clinic.

After I picked myself from the crash, they looked at me and tole me that there were more riders after them. Now, I understand that we all have to watch out for each other, and that beginners should be cut some slack. But come on, these girls were giving NO quarter, and acted like the fees they had paid entitled them to act like asshats.

Do they need a permit to do this? If not, they should and access times for clinics should be set to avoid busy times.

July 18, 2008, 12:08 p.m.

not all riding groups are for profit.

We're all out there to have fun!

:safrica: :canada:

If you aren't here to help please use the exit door.

July 18, 2008, 12:31 p.m.

wow, lots of hate to all the riding groups, don't we all just ride to have fun, like what rookie-ryda says?!

Maybe the bitterness is from having a crash in front of a bunch of girls?

Most of these riding club have been running since April, so any increase in rider on the mtn is most likely from your weekend warriors just out to enjoy the nice weather.

As a club ride leader I can honestly say that we had much larger groups in April and May. Our last few weeks the # of riders have decreased dramatically. People tend to be either away on holidays or are out riding with their friends (non club members).

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

July 18, 2008, 12:46 p.m.

Sorry if I sound bitter against girls, I really don;t feel that way. Also, I have nothing against group rides.

The problem I have is the sense of entitlement I got from the riders who forced us off the trail. We were riding eastbound on bridal path, prolly 3-4 minutes from old buck. The group was riding westbound. We were moving over as far as we could, and there was plentyl of room to pass if they had moved as well. For one reason or another (likely due to their inexperience) they wouldn't or couldn't move over. We had no choice but to ditch off the trail in order to avoid what would have been a bad head-on collision.

Once we picked up, they just looked and tole us there were more riders to come.

It was clear that they belonged to a commercial group (shall go unnamed) and I felt that they sensed an entitlement to the trail, due to having paid for the clinic time. That 'entitlement' is what frustrates me.

July 18, 2008, 1:04 p.m.

It seems to me that SammyJ's issue is less about group rides than basic trail manners. Something we can all remind ourselves to observe.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 18, 2008, 1:12 p.m.

As for hating on big group rides-well that's another issue. We all have our preferences for riding in groups or solo/duo.

The shuttlers that passed me on the road up yesterday were almost unfailingly polite (changed lanes completely to pass, no zooming up to me and doing a last minute lane change). It was just very busy last night for a weekend. OTOH, I did the entire descent without a car in front of or behind me, which is always great.

July 18, 2008, 1:15 p.m.

It seems to me that SammyJ's issue is less about group rides than basic trail manners. Something we can all remind ourselves to observe.

i agree, trail etiquette does have to be taught after all.

I too have an issue with commercial operations using public trails to conduct for-profit clinics.

sammyJ - granted your rant has slowed down a bit, but i do have a query about this part - just where do you expect these clnics to take place, but on public trails?

bottom line, we're all out to learn and have fun.

July 18, 2008, 1:19 p.m.

something for group ride leaders to keep in mind to mention to newbs…

July 18, 2008, 1:19 p.m.

And not to derail this thread more than it is already, but does anyone agree that trail etiquette seems to have become watered down as the number of riders has increased? Fewer riders willing to observe something as basic as "yield to rider up"? Or not even aware of it?

July 18, 2008, 1:22 p.m.

Yah, I guess that's the majority of it, you're right.

Another part of it has to do with the commercial aspect though. In all honesty if I had paid good money for a clinic, i would expect to have certain facilities provided. It is an unusual case to have a for-profit clinic sharing public land with the uhhhh, public.