juliana

May 28, 2013, 11:10 a.m.

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/news-juliana-launches-four-new-models/

Named for legendary pro-racer turned Santa Cruz Bicycles’ renaissance woman and design-maven Juli Furtado, the bike was one of the first women-specific models on the market and came along when the only answer to many small riders’ sizing issues was slamming the seat post and swapping to a shorty stem… Santa Cruz Bicycles is spinning off Juliana as its own distinct brand, complete with four models of bikes and three wheel sizes that cover a wide swath of riding styles.

interesting. that seems like a big commitment to the women's mtb market

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 28, 2013, 11:13 a.m.

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/news-juliana-launches-four-new-models/
interesting. that seems like a big commitment to the women's mtb market

And so they should - largest potential market for new riders. Looks good!

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 28, 2013, 12:58 p.m.

I say it is about time. Seriously, the mtb has been too male centric for too long.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 29, 2013, 12:38 p.m.

I mentioned to the wifey the other day that Santa Cruz now had a women's specific off-shoot company.

And her comment was that while it is great idea, selling a used women's bike is very tough. It is much easier to sell men's bikes as the market is huge.

She would rather a gender neutral bike, swap the handlebars, stem and saddle. Ride it for a couple of years, then put the original parts back on to give it a barely ridden look and sell it to some dumb man.

Pretty valid point. Mind you, she skis on a women's ski because she liked the graphics.

May 29, 2013, 2:36 p.m.

And her comment was that while it is great idea, selling a used women's bike is very tough. It is much easier to sell men's bikes as the market is huge.

i guess this imbalance is what santa cruz is investing in addressing: more bikes and marketing for women -[HTML_REMOVED] more women riding (-[HTML_REMOVED] a bigger used market for women's bikes)

kudos to them for taking a chance and the lead

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

June 11, 2013, midnight

Santa Cruz has had a women's specific bike in there line up for a long time now. But what I really like, and what shows that they are committed to the growth of women's riding, is the introduction of the carbon Juliana Joplin [HTML_REMOVED] Furtado line up. To dedicate 6 molds for carbon production of S/M/L in each model is impressive.

I got my wife on a Juliana frame set last year and built it up with a variety of parts that came off an older Blur I had. Fork was my old Fox 32 Talas that I had freshly rebuilt to put on her bike. The Chris King parts and XT crank [HTML_REMOVED] derailer were also from an old Blur.

New for her was the carbon rims (downsized an old hardtail XC bike out of my bike shead in trade with a buddy who imports the rims), the Joplin dropper post (she prefers the manual dropper to a remote on the bar), the flats and the new XT brakes, levers and shifters. The splash of Specialized parts were odds and ends that came to me cheap through my buddy at the shop to complete the build.

All in all, she's quite happy with her new bike. She's got a ladies ride group out here in the Valley and is riding 3-4 times a week. I'm jealous, cause thats way more than Im able to get out.

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Sept. 25, 2013, 1:51 p.m.

I love how this thread is full of guys only when it's in the ladies only forum. Back off, horndogs!

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 25, 2013, 2:25 p.m.

She would rather a gender neutral bike, swap the handlebars, stem and saddle. Ride it for a couple of years, then put the original parts back on to give it a barely ridden look and sell it to some dumb man.

^ This is pretty much how I feel.

I think I have sold most of my bikes / parts to dudes. On top of that, any colour scheme and build kit I ve ever seen on a women specific bikes is usually pretty terrible.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Sept. 25, 2013, 3:09 p.m.

i have worked on one of those juliana's a few times now. super nice little bike..

Sept. 25, 2013, 6:29 p.m.

Some people, including bike some bike manufacturers insist that women-specific bikes and geometries a marketing gimmick. They claim that the body proportions tend to be height dependent rather than gender dependent (men tend to have different body proportions not because they are men but because they tend to be taller). Cervelo says that torso and inseam ratios are mostly height dependent and have more to do with being short or tall than being male or female. A short man has body proportions more in common with other short people (male and female) than with other men in general. So it makes sense that a 5' 6" man could feel more comfortable on a "womans" bike while a 6' 2" woman would probably end up picking a "man's" bike.

Basically, bike manufacturers are offering a set of different size and geometry options, which probably doesn't hurt the consumer in the long run.

Anyway, just throwing that one out.

Oct. 20, 2013, 7:07 p.m.

A few grades to my wife's Juliana.

This was from her ladies ride this morning.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o