Hydration Pack

March 17, 2009, 10:07 a.m.

Hi ladies,

I am sick of it - I want to buy my wife a hydration pack and stop being the mule. ;)

So, I looked at the Dakine Nomad Ladies, what do you think? She needs a bit of room for her fleece hoodie and the like, you know for when she thinks she will freeze to death in spring.. ;) J/K

Any advice? Thanx a million…..

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 17, 2009, 10:25 a.m.

Audrey has the Nomad Ladies and likes it. That being said I have no idea how a ladies pack should differ to the mens. It's not like there's a tampon pocket and that's about the only difference between men and women riding. I have the mens Nomad and what I like better about it is the ability to carry a full face helmet while climbing/pushing up. The womens (or at least the one Audrey has) doesn't have that feature. Possibly the sizes are smaller on the womens, I don't know.

March 17, 2009, 10:40 a.m.

I have an Apex and she has a Session…seems to be about the right size for her. Enough room for water…a few tools and stuff. Would not go smaller than this though…as the tie straps are short and can just hold a helmet and jacket….sans helmet it is fine….longer straps would cure this.

to me you wear a pack to carry stuff….only if you have too..
too small and you might as well stuff it in your jersey…
Get it big enough for the basics, a helmet, pads and a strap for your jacket.

The waist belts are a nice touch with the Dakines…carries the weight better and does not swing around as much…

Blogging - Never before have so many people with so little to say said so much to so few.

March 17, 2009, 10:49 a.m.

My wife has the Dakine drafter for women, I have the man version. Frankly, the man version is better. More padding, extra pocket in the helmet holding flap. In my experience most women don;t like the fuity pastel colors many companies are using for their woman models. At least the women who are likely to actually use these products don't like the pastels, I guess?

March 17, 2009, 1:37 p.m.

Audrey has the Nomad Ladies and likes it. That being said I have no idea how a ladies pack should differ to the mens. It's not like there's a tampon pocket and that's about the only difference between men and women riding. I have the mens Nomad and what I like better about it is the ability to carry a full face helmet while climbing/pushing up. The womens (or at least the one Audrey has) doesn't have that feature. Possibly the sizes are smaller on the womens, I don't know.

So aside from the specific tampon pocket, a well designed ladies pack should fit the average lady better than a mens pack.

Deuter has done a good job with the SL packs.

March 17, 2009, 2:12 p.m.

how about the one for 19.99 from Costco?
has a source bladder, a stowable mesh helmet / pad holder, a few pockets, holds all my stuff, has lasted me 2 years so far?

March 17, 2009, 3:15 p.m.

Audrey has the Nomad Ladies and likes it. .

So aside from the specific tampon pocket, a well designed ladies pack should fit the average lady better than a mens pack.

My mistake, while checking out Shirks info with a measuring tape I found that Audrey and I have the Drafter, not the Nomad.

But the measuring tape didn't show any noticeable differences between the two (mens and womens)on the Dakine packs we have. I did notice on Dakine's site that the womens pack now has the helmet carrier like the mens.

Mic, maybe check into the Deuter pack for a womens specific item.

March 17, 2009, 6:01 p.m.

Maybe it depends if you're comparing packs from different years to each other but the only difference in the Dakine packs, that I've seen, is cosmetic. I opted for one of the mens Nomad packs for that cosmetic reason.

So, yes, one vote for the Nomad. I also have the Session pack for when I don't need to carry as much. If I could only have one, it would be the Nomad - so nice to be able to carry a dry jersey for the top of a rainy-day climb - keeps me warm for the descent!

March 17, 2009, 7:23 p.m.

I've got a women's Nomad and like it - I don't think there's any different between the men and women's (hubby has a men's one) except color options. And while I'm not a fan of pink, plaid is pretty cool. :-)

Dakine's got some pretty funky fabrics and newer packs have some slightly different features from older versions (pocket for mp3 player, side zip pockets that are easy to reach for cell phone and tools without taking the pack off). Both newer and older versions have a pocket lined with soft fabric for sunglasses, and in the fabric bit on the outside there's a hidden water proof pocket.

I've used Deuter and Camelback packs before too, and the features and fit of the Dakine are definitely my favourite.

If you're looking for one that's a little more unique:

http://www.dirtseries.com/hydration_packs.htm

(and yes, they are easy to wash, just empty and throw in the washing machine)

March 18, 2009, 2:23 a.m.

Wow. Thanx for the input. Actually I have never considered anything else than Dakine, since my wife does not like the camelbak system's taste (it does taste odd) - I thought "Go for Dakine", but did not have Deuter on my radar.

Hmmm. Later I am going to check things out together with her - and what she actually wants from a hydro pack. :)

- Kristen Ulmer

March 18, 2009, 9:42 a.m.

mic,

another option which is a bit more $$ is the ergon womens packs. German engineered and all. I have been testing one for the past year and am really impressed. A few minor issues (I forgot to tighten the bolt) but I haven't had any shoulder or back pain from when I over pack my pack. I usually ride with a full water bladder, first aid kit, helmet, leg pads and arm pads, tools, and the odd beer. The idea that the frame and hips take on the weight and the upper body movement is not limited by the pack is great.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

March 18, 2009, 10:26 a.m.

You should be able to find all the Deuter SL models in Germany as they are a German company.

Not as trendy as Dakine in looks, but superior in quality and design.

March 18, 2009, 12:13 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2126372]mic,

another option which is a bit more $$ is the ergon womens packs. German engineered and all. [/QUOTE]

around 150 Euros……:eek:

But I checked the Deuter Woman Series - and they are half the price of the Dakine :D

Shirk and HBH - We owe you a :beer: or :beer: :beer: in the summer….

- Kristen Ulmer

March 19, 2009, 12:33 p.m.

Both my husband and I have Ergon packs. Worth every penny! The weight sits on the hips instead of the back and shoulders… it feels like you are carrying an empty pack. The pack isn't against your back either, so you don't get overheated wearing it like some backpacks.

Happy Wife = Happy Hubby!

March 20, 2009, 9:53 a.m.

I picked up an Ergon pack at Interbike. Great pack for XC/AM purposes - weight sits much better on the hips, the rotational joint that swivels when you do is very cool.

I won't wear it for more serious rides or any park time however. Something about that big plastic ball joint sitting against my spine makes me nervous.