help or a hindrance?

July 5, 2006, 9:12 a.m.

ir works both ways you know…..

I taught a gf everything I knew once….was it worth it?

At times I'm sure, but for the most part her riding became more important than my own. Yes I take responsibilty for letting it happen, but it did happen, and I see it all the time. Try and remember that to alot of us guys this bike thing is a serious outlet and more than just a hobby, often a lifelong obsession. We are more than happy to share this love with you, but remember we do take it very seriously, and sometimes find it hard to be patient. I find this comes with the "I just want to rip" factor. Thats why you never get yer bf to teach you to snowboard unless he takes his board off. So hard to give lessons when you ur board is sliding and every instinct you have tells you to hit it…!!!!!

My point here ladies is that if you really want to learn from your guy……balance the time. Let him ride with the people he rode with at least as much as he did before you started. Don't always ask to go along, and you "MUST" develop your own posse. People of your ability level that are fun and you can learn together with.

Riding with yer guy "all the time" will slow down your progression and his. All in all its a great concept to have a partner that shares your interests but hoo boy it can be a pain in the ass as well! Just like most things I in life I guess.

Lets remove progression and such aside. There is one major down side with couples riding together all the time. No time for yourself. A couple should have ride time that is only them and their friend's or just themselves.

My example,

I love Joely very much and love going for rides with her now that she has taken up MTBing. However I'm not stupid, if I did every ride with her it would just become another ride. I'd get sick of doing it with her.

That's why I'm trying to get her out to meet other women to ride with. That way she has others to go ride with and do her own rides. Or if a large enough group gathers we have people we can ride with at our abilities.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 5, 2006, 10:01 a.m.

I don't get it..I love riding with my gal, and if I am worried about my progression then I just ramp it up and push myself…and if she's riding slow then I just wait for her at the bottom..just like I would if I was riding with a guy who was having a slow day. Not every guy out there feels like having a woman along is a handicap.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 5, 2006, 10:31 a.m.

geesh - its pretty straightforward - if your guys rocks the bike and he's a nice guy he will be stoked to get you out there and show you the ropes - its up to you and your relationship dynamic to make it work - just like anything else its not healthy to spend ALL your energy together…..

I have an abusive relationship with my bike - not with my partner!

July 5, 2006, 10:42 a.m.

its not that its a handicap, I have prolly taught/coached more girls than most people that I know,

its just that on a long term basis its easy to fall into a groove where you ride with yer girl more than you should…..

riding is the same as social situations….am I the only one that has friends that now that they are in relationship you never see either of them anymore?????? Dropped off the social scene??

well that same thing happens with biking, just saying to watch the balance peeps, that way everyone stays happy for a long time. Its hard not to take a bad ride home with you- people are just people you know.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

July 5, 2006, 10:59 a.m.

Guys in the Ladies Forum….I feel like I'm sneaking a peek in the locker room. :lol:

It's all about balance, just as Sideshow says. I ride with my wife at least a couple times a week. It's fun, we encourage each other and have a great time. I also ride with the boys at least the same amount. She also has her girls that she rides with. She understands the need for the boys ride, not only for the riding, but as a social thing, and encourages it. She does the same, it gives her time to go out, blow off some steam and bitch about me :lol:

But for me Corey's initial post is right. I rarely push it to a higher level when it's just her and me. I don't have that same aggression as when I'm chasing a buddy down a trail, or trying to stay ahead of him. It's not even a man/woman thing, I've ridden with some women that leave me in their dust too. It's more about different riding levels. It's all good though, like I said above, it's all about the balance.

July 5, 2006, 11:14 a.m.

I find riding with Lee great. We are fairly evenly matched in that I'm not that much slower then him on the climbs and on most descents we are pretty comparible.

Its great to have a person you can go on a variety of rides and trips with that you are both capable of doing that allows you to share the passion for your sport.

Now that he is gimpy and can't ride the more challenging trails which are now in GREAT condition! I feel a sort of loss that we can't ride together.

His knee is getting better and he should be strong enough to crash safely soon.

Corey, I understand what your saying. Maybe you need to find a girl who can climb and then you may get your ass kicked by a GIRL! ;):D

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 5, 2006, 11:20 a.m.

hehe its not hard to find a girl who can rock me on the ups these days…

but then I get to check her bum bum all the way up, so I guess it wouldn't be too bad.

Yes Sharon you and Lee are a great match, yer both kinda loopy…

C4 Rider Training 2013

c4race.com

July 5, 2006, 11:22 a.m.

Its great to have a person you can go on a variety of rides and trips with that you are both capable of doing that allows you to share the passion for your sport.

Bingo!!

It's great when your wife plans your 1st anniversary around the Whistler Bike Park and it's her idea as much for herself as for me, and every trip and vacation we do revolves around biking.

July 5, 2006, 12:21 p.m.

It's great when your wife plans your 1st anniversary around the Whistler Bike Park and it's her idea as much for herself as for me, and every trip and vacation we do revolves around biking.

that's awesome. i really envy you couples that have that kind of relationship. hopefully i can find a partner someday that is as nuts about biking as i am.

July 5, 2006, 1:07 p.m.

hopefully i can find a partner someday that is as nuts about biking as i am.

I heard Sideshow is single and likes to take long walks on the beach ?

:canada:

July 5, 2006, 1:21 p.m.

I know Jerry is married and should take a long walk off of a short pier.

C4 Rider Training 2013

c4race.com

July 5, 2006, 2:09 p.m.

rofl…. nice

:canada:

July 5, 2006, 2:27 p.m.

Yep, that's it! Biking is just as much a passion for me as it is for my other half and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I figure I'm pretty lucky - we spent the long weekend riding in Rossland together (with a few other friends too). For the most part, we're pretty well matched with both fitness and skills (though if he's keen to get a fast XC training hate-fest in, you can bet i won't be joining him!). We like to ride the same trails - sometimes he takes the harder line, sometimes its me!

I remember when we were first dating that I would check to see if the ride he'd planned with friends was one I could join. I didn't want to be overwhelmed by trails that were over my head. My first trips down Bogeyman and Pink Starfish were with the girls. But, when I came home filled with excitement about mastering the first few stunts on Bogeyman…he was just as happy as me, and now there's no question of the trails being too much.

Of course, we don't ride together all of the time. But we don't really have separate riding groups - "our" posse has a mix of guys and gals.

Yep, I'd definitely say I'm lucky!

pd

July 5, 2006, 8:31 p.m.

I know Jerry is married and should take a long walk off of a short pier.

Next on NSMB, Matchmaker on mountain bikes. With your host Synchro. Brought to you by Lululemon and the Whistler Medical Centre.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 5, 2006, 9:21 p.m.

I heard Sideshow is single and likes to take long walks on the beach ?

I don't know, he and Kohut have an intensity that can't be formed in a platonic relationship.