Girlriend needs an XC bike recommendation

Aug. 19, 2009, 10:32 p.m.

Thanks to everyone for the advice…

Made the decision on a small Giant Anthem X3….but GIANT is sold out!! :) That says something right there…must be a good bike!

Sooo…. The decision is now between an upgrade to a Giant Anthem X2 or to go with a Giant Cypher. Cypher seems to be better suited for the gnar with the 5" travel, 180mm front brakes, and beefier build…problem is it is heavier and the g/f would really like to improve on the uphill pedalling…therefore the much lighter Anthem X2 would seem to be a better choice…

Defintely liking the entire Giant lineup and the awesome local product support here in the Loops!!

Aug. 22, 2009, 9:26 a.m.

Ya the Anthem X2 is an awesome choice. She'll be flying up hills now, her bike will be lighter then mine! We'll get her out on the ladies Tuesday ride soon…..

http://www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops

Sept. 14, 2009, 12:29 p.m.

Try out a 29er. Just built up a Gary Fisher Rig frame and it hauls - perfect for xc. Smoother over the bumps too and sizing is available for people around 5'3" so worth a test ride. They also do full suspension 29ers as well. We just built up a custom Fisher Superfly carbon fibre hardtail and without pedals weighs a mere 18.6 lbs. Add pedals and some beefier tires for winter riding and should be just a smidge over 20lbs.

Sept. 14, 2009, 7:34 p.m.

Thanks to all for the recommendations… :beer:

Happy to say we picked up a Giant Anthem X2 from the good people down at Bicycle CAFE here in Kamloops….Highly recommend them….Many thanks!

She loves the new bike! At weighing in at just over 25 pounds it is an amazing pedaller (So I'm told, I haven't been allowed on her new steed :) )

thanks again…

Sept. 21, 2009, 10:29 p.m.

Thanks for the props Loopsrider. I know your girlfriend loves her bike, she tells me all the time! I'll see her tomorrow night on the group ride, it's going to be a fun one.

http://www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops