Freeride bikes with sub 730mm (29 inch) standover?

Aug. 2, 2009, 5:26 p.m.

I really need to upgrade my current bike to something Shore-worthy (idally with 6 inches front and rear) but am having a tough time finding bikes with a low enough standover. Neither the allegedly 'low standover' women's specific Minxy or Vixa will work because the standovers are too high, and it seems as though the vast majority of non-women's frames have even higher standovers.

Over on the Need a bike for a 5.1' girl thread the Transition Syren and Banshee Wildcard were suggested, but both seem expensive and neither manufacturer seems to provide any information about their standover heights. Does anyone a) know the standover heights for either of these frames, and/or b) have other suggestions?

Aug. 2, 2009, 6:20 p.m.

I was going to suggest a RM Slayer SXC Ladies but I double checked and the so is 788mm.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Aug. 2, 2009, 9:29 p.m.

I just measured a xs giant trance(the old style) and standover at the lowest point is 25.5in or 650mm. It is pretty tiny.

Aug. 3, 2009, 2:21 a.m.

… Over on the Need a bike for a 5.1' girl thread the Transition Syren and Banshee Wildcard were suggested, but both seem expensive and neither manufacturer seems to provide any information about their standover heights. Does anyone a) know the standover heights for either of these frames, and/or b) have other suggestions?

Hey sxp, check out the Banshee-Website,

Wildcard Standover Size S -[HTML_REMOVED] 5"/6,5" -[HTML_REMOVED] 697/722mm
Wildcard Standover Size M -[HTML_REMOVED] 5"/6,5" -[HTML_REMOVED] 699/724mm
Wildcard Standover Size L -[HTML_REMOVED] 5"/6,5" -[HTML_REMOVED] 700/726mm

The Wildcards Standoverheight is very low, as the Seattube is 14,5", 15" and 16" for the large frame.

Hope that helps

Greetings
NoStyle

Aug. 3, 2009, 12:23 p.m.

small and medium Specialized SX Trails. They are 700mm and 699mm.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

Aug. 4, 2009, 7:54 a.m.

http://knollybikes.com/bikes/small

Pretty good deals too if you but from calgary cycle…

Aug. 4, 2009, 11:02 a.m.

I cant give you an exact measurement but my ex is 5'3 and rides a small Norco Six One. She has a plenty of clearance and can easily flatfoot the bike with room to spare.

-Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

Aug. 4, 2009, 11:07 a.m.

My wife is 5'2" with a 28" standover. 2007+ SX Trails in Small will fit, Transition Syren, XS Vixa, XS Norco Shore and Six (2008+) should all fit standover wise. I believe the small Cannondale Perp was OK as well as older Ironhorse 7Point in small.

Hope this helps!

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 4, 2009, 12:14 p.m.

Thanks for all these suggestions, and especially to the people who suggested specific 2009 bikes after having checked the standover. I hadn't considered the SX Trail and it looks as though that might be my best bet for 2009 bikes.

Re. the suggestions about Norcos above, the Norco website says a 2009 Vixa in XS has a 743mm standover, so unless the website is wrong then the standover is too high for me. The Norco website doesn't give information about XS Shore or Six for 2009 (are they making them in XS?) but the standover on the smalls is substantially over 730mm and thus too high. As far as I can tell from Norco's website they don't have a single appropriate bike for 2009 with a low enough standover (thanks Norco!), though perhaps they've made bikes with lower standovers in previous years. I'd love to be proved wrong about this, not least 'cos the 2009 Norcos are on sale, so if you have an extra-small Norco Six, Shore or Stryk in front of you with a standover under 730mm then please let me know.

Aug. 4, 2009, 3:55 p.m.

you would probably have to get a vixa. Good price for an entry level fs bike. While I appreciate that you've taken the time to reply to my query, please take it from me that the Vixa absolutely will not work for me - the standover on an XS Vixa is the same as my inseam measurement. I'm not an engineer [HTML_REMOVED] thus can't speak to the tradeoff between frame size and standover length when designing bikes, but I ride a 13.5" Marin with a 710mm standover and some manufacturers seem to achieve low standovers at all frame sizes.

Aug. 5, 2009, 1:25 p.m.

give www.muddbunnies.com a try. Lots of girls over there.

Really, I've never understood why people learning the sport think they need to stand flat footed on both sides over a bike frame. Realistically, when you stop, the bike tips over a little to one side and you put down one foot. That foot is usually on a rock or in a hole. I argue that the parking lot test with both feet flat on the ground should not apply when selecting a mountain bike fit.

I've ridden with a lot of women, and hear the standover problem all the time. Give a taller bike a chance.

Aug. 6, 2009, 10:55 p.m.

09 sx trail small -if you really need that standover. plus its a wicked bike. I had lots of time on one this season and I loved it.

I am 5'2" with short legs and ride a demo 7 small. I have maybe a few milimeters when standing over the top tube, flat foot on one side with the other foot on the pedal when im sitting on the seat. I love it and the size feels perfect to me.

Aug. 7, 2009, 2:24 p.m.

We have a customer 5'2" to 5'3" that looked at the Kona, and Norco and decided to go with the Syren. A little more money but a very nice bike and a superior spec. The standover will vary depending on where it is measured, most of the bikes generally have some sort of sloping top tube. If you measure approx 12" from the front of the seat on the Syren the standover measurement is roughly 27.5". This is the number that is listed on their web site and I have confirmed this is how the number was derived. Hope this helps.

For your next Bicycle Purchase

Aug. 7, 2009, 2:32 p.m.

give www.muddbunnies.com a try. Lots of girls over there.

Really, I've never understood why people learning the sport think they need to stand flat footed on both sides over a bike frame. Realistically, when you stop, the bike tips over a little to one side and you put down one foot. That foot is usually on a rock or in a hole. I argue that the parking lot test with both feet flat on the ground should not apply when selecting a mountain bike fit.

I've ridden with a lot of women, and hear the standover problem all the time. Give a taller bike a chance.

Well, standover isn't so much of an issue for me now but it sure was when I was learning to ride. If you can't put your feet down in a parking lot you'll have a lot more difficulty putting even one foot down on uneven terrain where the ground may be lower than where the bike tires are or on steep terrain. Unfortunately, when learning and often walking tough sections or having to get back on in steep or tough sections, it can be really tough to get back on a bike with that extra standover. Also, it comes down to confidence. Knowing that touching the ground is an option may give one the confidence to ride a section. Once you can stay on the bike, touching the ground isn't much of an issue. I say a comfortable, happy beginner rider will excel faster than someone who feels like they're riding a high horse with no exit option.

As for claimed standover heights on websites, I've found that it means next to nothing. Check out every bike that you can in person and don't discount it as an option until you've confirmed the standover in person. With my 27"inseam (5'2"), I've been surprised by bikes that I thought wouldn't fit that do, and ones than I thought would and don't.

Also, keep in mind when checking out bikes, that they're probably oversprung for our size of person, so you'll get more sag and some useable standover when you get the right spring.

Aug. 7, 2009, 6:34 p.m.

XS Revolt, and XS flatline are among the top with low stand over, but both are full on DH bikes, So I'm assuming not what you're looking for?

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.