Fall/winter weather commuting

Oct. 20, 2007, 6:50 p.m.

I am in Spokane WA, and it is starting to get cold/wet here…and it'll only be getting worse. I started getting into riding my bike a couple of months ago. I commute to my job (probably about a 30 min ride each way). I really want to keep riding my bike to work, but rain and snow scare me. I've never had to ride in either but I'm afraid I won't be able to control my bike or see as well (or cars can't see me as well!). Am I just being a beginning-cyclist weenie [HTML_REMOVED] it's not a big deal? What kind of conditions are not considered safe to commute in traffic?
I'm also not wanting to get entirely SOAKED on my way to work (I don't really care about the way back). What kind of stuff would work to to make my ride comfortable and DRY? Keep in mind I'm a poor college kid, so the cheaper the better! Oh yeah, and warmth would be nice too.

Thanks!
-Charity

Oct. 21, 2007, 12:43 a.m.

If it snows, drive or bus. Icy days are the same. Cars can't stop hitting each other nevermind cyclists. Dry and cold is fine if you can stay warm. Rain is fine as well. Traction is a not as good, but just be a bit more careful and you'll be fine.

With the shorter days, invest in a good rear blinking light. Spend a bit more to get one that is brighter. For a front light, there are some pretty decent and cheap front lights that are fairly bright. They are not bright enough for trail riding, but they let cars see you which is what they are made for. If you are buying new tights and jackets get ones with reflective stripes. You can also buy reflective ankle bands or other similar things for $3-8.

Staying dry. Fenders are the key. What soaks you on a ride in the rain isn't the water falling from the sky, it is the water spraying off your tires. Getting decent fenders that fit on front suspension might be an issue. I prefer full coverage fenders (big kinda dorky ones), but the clip-on ones work ok. This will keep you from being completely soaked.
http://www.rei.com/bike/TOC/Components/Bike+Fenders?cm_re=toctocbike_fenders[HTML_REMOVED]vcat=REI_SSHP_CYCLING_TOC

Your feet will still get wet so you can use plastic shopping bags inside your shoes or spend more for waterproof booties that fit over your shoes. Again get ones with reflective taping.
http://www.rei.com/bike/TOC/Clothing/Cycling+Shoe+Covers?cm_re=toctoccycle_shoe_covers[HTML_REMOVED]vcat=REI_SSHP_CYCLING_TOC

A decent gore-tex rain jacket will be nice, but if you have fenders is not totally necessary (I haven't used a gore-tex jacket, well ever). Long sleeve synthetic jerseys under a good windbreaker jacket is pretty much what I use. As it gets colder I add more layers and/or use heavier jackets. I have some thin fleece gloves that are big enough to fit over my regular cycling gloves. They keep my fingers mostly warm until about -5C (~25F). A bandana or headband keeps my ears warm. Another bandana keeps my neck warm. I use my rain booties to keep my feet warm (with heavier socks of course).

Keep on commuting! I always feel better when I've ridden to work even when the weather is a bit ugly (which in Vancouver is pretty much the next 5 months). Dress warm, and make sure that you can be seen. Oh yeah, stash an extra set of batteries in your pack next to your spare tube just in case the ones in the lights die.

Dave

Oct. 21, 2007, 11:27 p.m.

If it snows, drive or bus. Icy days are the same. Cars can't stop hitting each other nevermind cyclists. Dry and cold is fine if you can stay warm. Rain is fine as well. Traction is a not as good, but just be a bit more careful and you'll be fine….
Keep on commuting! I always feel better when I've ridden to work even when the weather is a bit ugly (which in Vancouver is pretty much the next 5 months). Dress warm, and make sure that you can be seen. Oh yeah, stash an extra set of batteries in your pack next to your spare tube just in case the ones in the lights die.

Dave

Thanks! That was VERY helpful! I will look into all those things. I already have a blinky tail light and a headlight but they are pretty cheap (got them from Walmart…what did I expect?) so I will probably get nicer ones.

Oct. 22, 2007, 8:38 a.m.

I don't think that it can be stressed enough the light situation..

I recommend this 1/2 watt blinking set for front and rear.
http://www.rei.com/product/765703

Then I would also suggest that you get some lights for your helmet, bag..stick one wherever you can so that you can be seen out there.

In terms of staying dry, my gal and I each wear Gore-Tex jackets, which have zips under the arms for ventilation..and Gore-Tex pants (again, with zips along the side) with bootie covers for our feet. We arrive at work dry each day and just change into work clothes when we get to work.

If it snows, take a bus!

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Oct. 22, 2007, 10 a.m.

I've been bike commuting for a few years and love it! Once you have a good set of lights, rain gear and a refelctive vest, you should be good.
One piece of advice would be to not listen to headphone while riding in the dark, hearing cars is really important when you can barley see.
Enjoy it! Even when its raining it is still better that being stuck in a car.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Oct. 22, 2007, 11:56 a.m.

I'm a big fan of wool cause when its wet I find it still keeps me warm when I ride, so wool socks and merino wool layers (legging and long sleeve shirts) are key for me because I hate being cold. Then I might throw a fleece between the merino wool and jacket, and then I seem to be a happy camper.

Merino wool isn't super cheap but it lasts so its worth the investment…I know people who have had their merino wool stuff for years and years….

I have no filter …

Oct. 22, 2007, 2:05 p.m.

Oh get the booties! And warm winter mitts. Those extremities getting cold makes all the difference.
If you get ice like we do, studded tires are a great idea.

http://www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops

Oct. 23, 2007, 5:19 p.m.

If it snows, drive or bus.
Dave

OK, I'm a bit spoiled, but I commute by bike in the snow too. BUT, I don't take roads to work (got a nice little bit of trail and pathways). In fact, for me, biking in the snow is the most reliable way to make sure I get to work safely and on time; and the ride home (which is downhill, on trails, singletrack if I choose), is super fun! (Buses often stop running to my work in the snow, and drivers often don't have the right skills/tires…it doesn't snow that much, so it works out fine).

However if it is slushy, sloppy, soupy ice water…yuck! Then I'll find another option. :)

One other trick for me, despite that fact that I think I have plenty of natural padding in my butt, my butt cheeks will get pretty cold some days - I'll wear a pair of baggy shorts over top of my tights for an extra layer to stay warm.

Penny (Dave K's other half…)

Oct. 23, 2007, 6:41 p.m.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the feedback you've given me :) I'm going to look into getting a lot of this stuff…because I LOVE riding my bike to work and I don't want to stop just because it isn't sunny [HTML_REMOVED] warm anymore.

Oct. 23, 2007, 10:26 p.m.

Also, when it comes to cycling gear, avoid the colour grey. I had a beautiful gray Arcteryx jacket and it was basically pavement camouflaged. Even scarier at night or in the rain. Best to get bright colours. Anything to help cars see you is a good thing.

Good on you for bike commuting. I'm just getting prepped for the my early morning ride into work now.

Goin' Down?