Books....

Feb. 21, 2009, 6:56 p.m.

Oh, reading. I do love it. i read many kinds of book: novels, short story, science books… and of course, books relating to my major (pharmacy)

Recently, i've read INSPIRATION STORIES. I found it so useful, especially when i flow with numerous works. i found peace in it. And peace in mind is that all i need.

Shoes store !

Feb. 23, 2009, 12:35 p.m.

I have the following if you are interested:
The Time travellers Wife, Audrey Niffenegger - Great sci fi love story
Wicked - The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Musicophilia - a compilation of true histories of people experiencing music related phenomena through illness and trauma. RE: one older womand has aural halucination that waker her up in the morning. The song was "that old grey mare just aint what she used to be!"
The Road - Horribly depressing
Naked - David Sedaris, this one made me laugh scotch out my nose and it was worth it!
Let me know if you want them and Ill bring them next time I see you.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Feb. 23, 2009, 3:43 p.m.

One of the books that I am always lending out is

Stumbling on Happiness - Daniel Gilbert
This isn't a self help book but a scientific investigation into how we create what we think is happiness in our lives. It's hard to explain but if you want a book that makes you think about how our brains and minds work. And if you ever have wondered why we commit to going to that party in two weeks and then the day of dread going to it this is a book for you.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Feb. 23, 2009, 4:45 p.m.

That book sounds interesting, Dorothy. I'll look into that one.

I'm reading one recommended here…"Interred with their Bones: Bill Miner in Canada"..it is really good. Very comprehensive account of Bill Miner. Lots of neat BC facts and photos.

Darth…I read the Time Travellers Wife! I looked at Wicked in the bookstore and…sorry…it didn't grab my attention. Perhaps the other ones though!

Thanks all for sharing.

Karen.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

Feb. 23, 2009, 5:07 p.m.

Reading. Lots lately. (two books this weekend) but, mostly just junk Science Fiction.
I happened across Larry Niven's Children of Ringworld (didn't even know it was out). That was a good read, but nothing beat the original.

So, for me, it's 90[HTML_REMOVED]#37; science Fiction, 5 percent horror, and the rest, scrounging around whatever my family puts down long enough fo me to read. It's actually that last 5% that's puts some spice in - my kids have alot of books from school, and my wife's been into some weird shit lately.

I too, read Million Little pieces. I never paid attention to the hype, so I really didn't know what I was getting into. I enjoyed it. I found that I'd read for an hour or so, and when I'd pull out, I had to give my head a shake to get it thinking rationally again. I found myself being drawn into the protagonists mind-set. Weird.

Feb. 24, 2009, 9:37 a.m.

I ordered the book two days ago, arrived today - along with a CD of Fleet Foxes - and I am well into the third chapter already. This is by far one of the best books I have read so far about the history, geography and people of a certain area, in this case my beloved British Columbia and the coast. Awesome. it goes really beyond the felling of the Golden Spruce on Haida Gwaii, and is about the history of the meetings between the Europeans and the Haida clans, the loggers and shows (at least to me) that Vancouver has really changed in the last 50 or so years.

The first pages about the rainforests are mind blowing. I read a few lines to my wife and I was in awe, she has to experience the enormity of the forests and the "spirit atmosphere" herself in a few "weeks". :)

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 24, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2113457]One of the books that I am always lending out is

Stumbling on Happiness - Daniel Gilbert
This isn't a self help book but a scientific investigation into how we create what we think is happiness in our lives. It's hard to explain but if you want a book that makes you think about how our brains and minds work. And if you ever have wondered why we commit to going to that party in two weeks and then the day of dread going to it this is a book for you.

Awesome book.

You could say it's about the mistakes we make when we predict what will make us happy in the future. It's something we're terrible at. It strips down how that process works and shows why we make those errors.

Feb. 24, 2009, 4:19 p.m.

I'm rereading Baron in the trees by Italo Calvino. Possibly my favourite book. I'm also taking down a Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and I've been working my way through the intros by Steve Casimrio. As an aspiring writer of 19, I followed the Powder intros as religiously as any monk. As a reinvigorated aspiring writer of 35, I'm going back to the powder bible.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

Feb. 27, 2009, 8:42 a.m.

A Short …. by Bryson is awesome. I had times when I was laughing so hard that I was actually asked if I were alright (in the mental sense…). Great info in a very easy to understand and fun-to-read package. A kind of "Must read".

Have just finished The Golden Spruce. Wow. Intense.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 27, 2009, 10:58 p.m.

^^^ The Golden Spruce is a great read; I've read it a couple times!

Just finished "Interred with thier Bones: Bill Miner in Canada"…very good read. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'll be checking out others here as well. I've ordered the book Heckler's Better Half recommended. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Karen.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.