wot if there were no mirrors in gyms?

Sept. 15, 2015, 8:15 p.m.

I don't know where the hell you heard I was smart, but I demand you take that back immediately or I'll report it to Cam.

With that out of the way, my other points still stand.

on a shaky leg. just saying that your statements aren't an absolute.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 16, 2015, 9:08 a.m.

I guess elite athletes and their coaches should throw away all that image capture and replay technology that has been deemed so essential to winning:

"[Technological advancements are also being used to help our athletes train more effectively. Athletes are becoming more and more adept to using instant replay and video analysis technologies to improve when training.

Athletes can record themselves and use instant playback and slow motion to help them perfect their game with high-definition video or smart phone apps. They are able to analyze all angles and details of their movements and make adjustments to their personal mechanics to improve performance.](http://thevarsity.ca/2014/09/21/seemingly-superhuman-technologys-impact-on-sports/) "

Sept. 16, 2015, 9:18 a.m.

If you're doing chins, well, that's a closed-chain movement, so you can't really fuck it up.

You know this isn't true, right? To do them properly does take more than just yanking yourself up to the bar.

Sept. 16, 2015, 10:21 a.m.

You know this isn't true, right? To do them properly does take more than just yanking yourself up to the bar.

I was speaking more in terms of causing injury because of poor form.

Sept. 16, 2015, 10:22 a.m.

I guess elite athletes and their coaches should throw away all that image capture and replay technology that has been deemed so essential to winning

Why should they do that?

Sept. 16, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

you know i make fun and light of the idea of craning your neck. but seriously, i'm no trainer or even serious lifter but i am prone to neck pain and posture (and head posture) plays a role in how i lift. some of you referenced this Riptoe guy when i asked about squatting and he is pretty particular about this stuff. he showed squatters properly looking ahead and down, keeping the spine aligned. in other words, not looking up or bending the neck. i rarely see people minding spinal alignment as far as i can tell. the motivation for the post was seeing this massive young guy doing some bar bell bent over rows with huge weight. he was bent over, heaving massively and looking up and turning his head to the mirror. i think it sprained my neck just watching.

Okay, for that exercise would never look at the mirror. Hell, dig through the old photo's of Franco Columbo and others you don't see them craning their necks to look in the mirror doing bent over rows. To busy lifting.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 16, 2015, 11:24 a.m.

I guess elite athletes and their coaches should throw away all that image capture and replay technology that has been deemed so essential to winning:

"[Technological advancements are also being used to help our athletes train more effectively. Athletes are becoming more and more adept to using instant replay and video analysis technologies to improve when training.

Athletes can record themselves and use instant playback and slow motion to help them perfect their game with high-definition video or smart phone apps. They are able to analyze all angles and details of their movements and make adjustments to their personal mechanics to improve performance.](http://thevarsity.ca/2014/09/21/seemingly-superhuman-technologys-impact-on-sports/) "

Yes and no. When using video play back your need to have a good knowledge base to look at the footage. It is that knowledge earned through years of training and being a student of the sport that allows one to interpret the footage. To find flaws and make corrections. Without knowing how to interpret and make the corrections the apps and video are useless.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 17, 2015, 6:51 a.m.

I was speaking more in terms of causing injury because of poor form.

OK then. I use the mirrors to keep track of striations and of course, pose down.

Sept. 17, 2015, 7:54 a.m.

OK then. I use the mirrors to keep track of striations and of course, pose down.

I think I had a striation once.

Sept. 17, 2015, 1:17 p.m.

Okay, for that exercise would never look at the mirror. Hell, dig through the old photo's of Franco Columbo and others you don't see them craning their necks to look in the mirror doing bent over rows. To busy lifting.

So what's your point?

A. Franco Columbu doesn't need a mirror because he's a noob and doesn't know what he's doing anyway.

B. Franco Columbu doesn't need a mirror because he has spent decades in Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting and bodybuilding.

I admit that mirrors aren't helpful for a lot of exercises, especially any that need you to change your stance so you can observe your position and technique. If you are truly looking to practice Zen-like body awareness, by extension you should be lifting with your eyes closed or a blindfold on. Can imagine how badass and self-aware your running would become if you mastered doing windsprints on a treadmill in a blindfold?

Sept. 17, 2015, 2:06 p.m.

Can imagine how badass and self-aware your running would become if you mastered doing windsprints on a treadmill in a blindfold?

meh, it's easier than you think ;)

if you want the ultimate in body awareness though do your exercises blindfolded and with ear plugs in - sensory deprivation training.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 17, 2015, 4:55 p.m.

So what's your point?

What was your point in thinking that high frame rate capturing cameras and coaches were a bad thing for athletes?

Sept. 17, 2015, 5:10 p.m.

What was your point in thinking that high frame rate capturing cameras and coaches were a bad thing for athletes?

psssssst, sarcasm

Ellen Langer

Sept. 20, 2015, 5:23 p.m.

I much prefer no-mirror for the main lifts, and especially the olympic lifts as it completely screws up my concentration. I would be happy if the mirrors were confined to the DB racks. It's also weird looking at yourself rowing/running on the treadmill but maybe handy for catching glimpses of lulu lemon clad butts.