wot if there were no mirrors in gyms?

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:27 p.m.

i never pictured you as a priest of mass generalization.

seriously, saying mirrors are an illusion for beginners may be true based on your experience, but it is not true for everyone's experience.

Strength training is mountain biking is baseball is football is running is everything.

The act of watching yourself do something in the moment is lost on the beginner. When you put your finger on someones lats while they're rowing they'll get more benefit than a year in front of a mirror.

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:35 p.m.

Seriously though, if we removed the mirrors from the squat and power rack areas. People wold be less inclined to do their barbell curls there.

never

some prefer to use a Olympic bar for their curls

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

never

some prefer to use a Olympic bar for their curls

Great. Just get outta my way. Squats need to be done.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:45 p.m.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:54 p.m.

Great. Just get outta my way. Squats need to be done.

when i was a gym rat we used the squat rack for a lot more then just squats .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 13, 2015, 8 p.m.

when i was a gym rat we used the squat rack for a lot more then just squats .

You mean it's not just for selfies or a Crossfit swingsets?

Seriously though. Watched a few RMCC Cadets in the last few days doing clean movements. No amount of mirror will do anything for their technique. To busy trying to lift heavy and not focus of proper reps. Cringe worthy.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 13, 2015, 8:26 p.m.

You mean it's not just for selfies or a Crossfit swingsets?

Seriously though. Watched a few RMCC Cadets in the last few days doing clean movements. No amount of mirror will do anything for their technique. To busy trying to lift heavy and not focus of proper reps. Cringe worthy.

crossfit , Man when I 1st saw some of the commercials with them doing relay type exercises . I thought as a rider and racer a cross train workout like that could help.

Then I saw some of their versions of pull ups , dips and several other movements and the sloppy form with effort on weight and reps i was dumbfounded .

Some people see something and no matter how incorrect on the form or movement , they burn it into their minds that is the only way it should be done .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 13, 2015, 9:12 p.m.

crossfit , Man when I 1st saw some of the commercials with them doing relay type exercises . I thought as a rider and racer a cross train workout like that could help.

Then I saw some of their versions of pull ups , dips and several other movements and the sloppy form with effort on weight and reps i was dumbfounded .

Some people see something and no matter how incorrect on the form or movement , they burn it into their minds that is the only way it should be done .

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 13, 2015, 11:06 p.m.

Which is complete shit.

If you know what you're doing, you feel the movements and the parts of the body that are affected while doing it. If you don't know what you're doing, either pay for someone to help you or suffer through some failure before you can.

I used one when I didn't know what I was doing and it did nothing but distract me.

Hey, lady, don't project your body image and self-esteem issues onto the rest us …

Gym mirrors a turn-off for women: scientists

You may want to join the conversation in this thread

http://www.caloriecount.com/forums/motivation/anyone-else-notice-weird-annoying-thing

Be cool with who you are girl …

Sept. 13, 2015, 11:16 p.m.

Better yet, skip to 1.22 if you can't wait that long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvHbnhl3M8

Sept. 15, 2015, 4:07 p.m.

that guy's hilarious.

Sept. 15, 2015, 4:19 p.m.

Which is why you see people watching the mirror while doing tricep kickbacks or turning DB rows into a biceps exercise.

I used one when I didn't know what I was doing and it did nothing but distract me.

oh great, sample of one.

i thought you were smart enough to realize that your own personal experience or the observed experience of some others didn't mean that's how it works for everyone.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 15, 2015, 7:36 p.m.

you know i make fun and light of the idea of craning your neck. but seriously, i'm no trainer or even serious lifter but i am prone to neck pain and posture (and head posture) plays a role in how i lift. some of you referenced this Riptoe guy when i asked about squatting and he is pretty particular about this stuff. he showed squatters properly looking ahead and down, keeping the spine aligned. in other words, not looking up or bending the neck. i rarely see people minding spinal alignment as far as i can tell. the motivation for the post was seeing this massive young guy doing some bar bell bent over rows with huge weight. he was bent over, heaving massively and looking up and turning his head to the mirror. i think it sprained my neck just watching.

Sept. 15, 2015, 7:58 p.m.

oh great, sample of one.

i thought you were smart enough to realize that your own personal experience or the observed experience of some others didn't mean that's how it works for everyone.

I don't know where the hell you heard I was smart, but I demand you take that back immediately or I'll report it to Cam.

With that out of the way, my other points still stand.

Sept. 15, 2015, 8:10 p.m.

you know i make fun and light of the idea of craning your neck. but seriously, i'm no trainer or even serious lifter but i am prone to neck pain and posture (and head posture) plays a role in how i lift. some of you referenced this Riptoe guy when i asked about squatting and he is pretty particular about this stuff. he showed squatters properly looking ahead and down, keeping the spine aligned. in other words, not looking up or bending the neck. i rarely see people minding spinal alignment as far as i can tell. the motivation for the post was seeing this massive young guy doing some bar bell bent over rows with huge weight. he was bent over, heaving massively and looking up and turning his head to the mirror. i think it sprained my neck just watching.

yeah for sure you should aim to maintain proper posture when you train - something i'm always reminding people about but it seems most people don't care enough to bother. good posture comes from doing it on a regular basis and if you slouch all the time then you're probably going to have poor posture.

that said you can make an argument for not maintaining perfect posture all the time. you could even say posture is relative to the activity being performed - aka activity specific technique. not every activity we do is going to be under ideal conditions in the gym doing relatively simple exercises like a deadlift for example. we should have the ability to maintain good posture while also having good mobility.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer