wot if there were no mirrors in gyms?

Sept. 13, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

would people still go? would there be less neck injuries as people strain to watch themselves whilst doing heavy lifts, craning to see around others?

Sept. 13, 2015, 2:43 p.m.

Wouldn't have as many fuck wits standing between you and the dumbell rack. Or screaming while doing 1/4 rep curls in the power rack.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 13, 2015, 5:22 p.m.

The mirrors are supposed to be so you can observe and correct your posture and technique while you lift weights or use equipment. If you are madly in love with yourself, that's another issue altogether. BTW, the best technique to check out your massive "guns" is staring at your biceps while you do curls and that doesn't require mirrors at all.

Sept. 13, 2015, 5:56 p.m.

The mirrors are supposed to be so you can observe and correct your posture and technique while you lift weights or use equipment. If you are madly in love with yourself, that's another issue altogether. BTW, the best technique to check out your massive "guns" is staring at your biceps while you do curls and that doesn't require mirrors at all.

Which is complete shit.

If you know what you're doing, you feel the movements and the parts of the body that are affected while doing it. If you don't know what you're doing, either pay for someone to help you or suffer through some failure before you can.

There are a disproportionate amount of douchebags in a gym, but that shouldn't stop you from going. Unless you're doing full-body physical labour, your body is atrophying and you'll be that 60 year old who complains getting out of a chair.

Live it while you got it.

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:18 p.m.

Which is complete shit.

If you know what you're doing, you feel the movements and the parts of the body that are affected while doing it. If you don't know what you're doing, either pay for someone to help you or suffer through some failure before you can.

i purposely tell beignners to watch themselves in the mirror for the exact reasons that duncan stated. when people are starting off they often don't have enough body awareness (proprioception) to know what their bodies are doing, so using the mirrors is a great way to see if their limbs are moving in co-ordination with each other and to check their positioning. a lot of people can't afford a trainer and telling them to just suffer until they get it right is a bs attitude imo.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:24 p.m.

Syncro, are you a personal trainer?

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:30 p.m.

i purposely tell beignners to watch themselves in the mirror for the exact reasons that duncan stated. when people are starting off they often don't have enough body awareness (proprioception) to know what their bodies are doing, so using the mirrors is a great way to see if their limbs are moving in co-ordination with each other and to check their positioning. a lot of people can't afford a trainer and telling them to just suffer until they get it right is a bs attitude imo.

Which is why you see people watching the mirror while doing tricep kickbacks or turning DB rows into a biceps exercise.

I used one when I didn't know what I was doing and it did nothing but distract me.

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:36 p.m.

Mirrors help to a point. When I started lifting 31 years ago in my parents basement with a Weider Bench and shitty Weider concrete weights. All we had was the Weider program that came with it. Didn't have a mirror as that came a year later when my parents renovated a room and had a mirror they no longer wanted.

What I do remember is that while I did figure it out on my own. The material emphasized slow movements and control. Lifting lighter weight was better with correct form. And that in is the crux of the matter.

That is that the Weider program 31 years ago worked in stages First stage was 3 days a week and something like 4 months. Small number of exercises and focus was on form not weight. Something I think is overlooked in this modern age.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:36 p.m.

Which is complete shit.

There are a disproportionate amount of douchebags in a gym, but that shouldn't stop you from going. Unless you're doing full-body physical labour, your body is atrophying and you'll be that 60 year old who complains getting out of a chair.

Live it while you got it.

how is one supposed to feel they have bad posture if they cannot see it ??

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:38 p.m.

Which is why you see people watching the mirror while doing tricep kickbacks or turning DB rows into a biceps exercise.

I used one when I didn't know what I was doing and it did nothing but distract me.

Was doing some browsing of home gym stuff. And found this app at All Things Gym.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/platform-helper-bar-path-tracking-on-your-phone/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 13, 2015, 6:44 p.m.

how is one supposed to feel they have bad posture if they cannot see it ??

Posture is easy to work on. It's fixed. The trick is the movement. If you're doing rows and you feel it more in your bicep than your back, you're doing it wrong. If you're squatting, you need eyes in three separate positions from your body to make sure you're doing it right. If you're doing chins, well, that's a closed-chain movement, so you can't really fuck it up.

Strength training is no different than clearing any gnarly trail on your bike. You're not going to do it your first go around.

There's a reason trainers and biking instructors exist.. they're a shortcut to doing it right if you don't want to put the (considerable) effort into learning what you need to do.

Mirrors are an illusion for beginners.

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:01 p.m.

Syncro, are you a personal trainer?

yes.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:03 p.m.

they're a bit more helpful for people that have received proper instruction on their exercise routine.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:07 p.m.

Posture is easy to work on.

ha!

Mirrors are an illusion for beginners.

i never pictured you as a priest of mass generalization.

seriously, saying mirrors are an illusion for beginners may be true based on your experience, but it is not true for everyone's experience.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2015, 7:24 p.m.

seriously, saying mirrors are an illusion for beginners may be true based on your experience, but it is not true for everyone's experience.

Seriously though, if we removed the mirrors from the squat and power rack areas. People wold be less inclined to do their barbell curls there.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk