work out recovery magic

Nov. 10, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

I always drink beer after hockey. Seems to work for myself.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 10, 2015, 1:22 p.m.

I swear by my CW-X compression tights as my secret weapon for better training.

Every year my first day skiing were always a pain (hardly able to walk the next day). These tights (I wear the stabilx tight) have allowed me to ski all day, and be ready to ski again the next day without the aches that I normally get with the first day of the season. I now wear these tights running half marathons, hiking, and biking. The key to maximum benefit is to keep these tights on for several hours after you workout, ideally 3+ hours. Also sizing is so important you need to make sure you are in the correct size for optimal benefits.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 10, 2015, 3:50 p.m.

All good points, I'm 43 and push myself harder every year.
I weight train x 3 , yoga x 1 and mtb x 4 days a week. and usually sneak a hike or snowshoe in there as well with the wife.

Stretching , even for just 5 minutes right after exercise is what helps me get back out the next day.
All the other tips and supplements would only do so much, for me anyways and tend to add up $$$.

On the $$$ side of things….I did purchase a Infared Sauna which seems to help me with soft tissue fatigue /recovery along with just promoting good overall health thru detox. Basically I feel I invested in my "healthy future" with the Sauna.

Main point….Stretch, and Stretch more and more as you age.

Ohh…And of course beer and Jager fixes everything

Nov. 10, 2015, 4:31 p.m.

All the other tips and supplements would only do so much, for me anyways and tend to add up $$$.

foam rollers are cheap investments, $30-$70 depending on firmness and size.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 10, 2015, 5:02 p.m.

foam rollers are cheap investments, $30-$70 depending on firmness and size.

True….Rollers are great , I have and use them as well to aid when stretching just isn't doing enough.

Nov. 10, 2015, 5:19 p.m.

I like the balls better than rollers… when I find a trigger point, I rest on it for a while, then move that muscle while on the point. Be it drawing the alphabet with your toe's while focusing on your calf, or flagging down airplanes while it's on your lats shoulders, etc.

That said, its benefit has no bearing on DOMS when combined with layoffs. In my experience when wading back into strength training you either tip-toe into the water, or decide to go hard and suffer for a week. After which it's not coming back until the next long layoff.

Nov. 10, 2015, 8:06 p.m.

True true

Massage ball , Foam Rollers etc should be part of the recovery Arsenal pack.

My should blades tend to tighten up, knots up right under the bone so no roller will penetrate, that's massage ball zone.

I think we can all agree , we should all stretch and have rollers and balls to aid ; unfortunately for them to be effective you actually have to be vigilante and stretch .

I have taken notice of how unhealthy Health Guru's say it is to be sitting so much (I have a desk or driving job-Sales) so I try to bust out some stretches every 30 mins or so throughout m work day just to get those dam things Done.
I have a Bikram inspired routine I try to do throughout the day- I have noticed huge gains over the past 6 months in my endurance and recovery time.

Man I could go on and on, trying to stall my degradation of strength and age has been a hobby since forever, if only I was better at it, or super disciplined….. However I like a "Balanced Lifestyle" and did I mention Beer and Good Times.

Nov. 10, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2895691]I swear by my CW-X compression tights as my secret weapon for better training.

Every year my first day skiing were always a pain (hardly able to walk the next day). These tights (I wear the stabilx tight) have allowed me to ski all day, and be ready to ski again the next day without the aches that I normally get with the first day of the season. I now wear these tights running half marathons, hiking, and biking. The key to maximum benefit is to keep these tights on for several hours after you workout, ideally 3+ hours. Also sizing is so important you need to make sure you are in the correct size for optimal benefits.[/QUOTE]

These sound like something to try…… Gonna check them out

Nov. 10, 2015, 8:25 p.m.

…and stretch

Based on what I've read and personally experimented with, I believe mobility drills are more important than static stretching.

But I get paid to make computers do things, so don't take my word for it.

Nov. 10, 2015, 9:39 p.m.

For me ZMA is all about the sleep.

Fucking amazing.

My favorite thing to do in the world is sleep. I'll be pissed if it turns out there really is an afterlife.

Nov. 10, 2015, 9:46 p.m.

My favorite thing to do in the world is sleep. I'll be pissed if it turns out there really is an afterlife.

Haaa… the thing about ZMA though is the feeling after sleep. I try to take it only a couple times a week. I don't beleive I won't become desensitized to it. When I take it, motherfucker. It turns an 8 hour sleep into a 12 hour one.

Nov. 15, 2015, 9:54 a.m.

and don't forget to get enough high quality protein, especially the day after a hard ride/workout.

concur with others…magnesium (try Natural Calm) is a great warm drink right before bed. helps you sleep and with muscle relaxation. you may want to consider a high quality omega-3 supplement.

but at the end of the day, supplements are just that. focus on a really high quality diet (a ton of multi-coloured veg and fruit, high quality proteins, and don't forget the fats!) is really what will help support your body long term. and sleep of course.

Nov. 15, 2015, 10:02 p.m.

Some days you recover right…foam rollers and protein shakes. Other days you drink beer and eat Nacho's. It's all about balance.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 23, 2016, 10:42 p.m.

OP, sounds like me. I'm aging (39) have a fairly physical job, play lots of hockey and love to ride lots of bikes. For me I try to live a fairly healthy life style. So eating well of course, a mix of stretching (especially after games and rides) foam rolling and I drink a protein shake after games. Muscletech Phase 8. 8 hour slow release protein , low carb so not bad for weight gain, and as close to 8 hours of sleep as possible. http://www.muscletech.ca/products/performance-series/phase8/

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

Feb. 28, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

This is my go to now. Nothing loosens me up faster before squatting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ictPToU9M

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.