Why I don't go to gyms anymore..

Feb. 9, 2015, 6:39 a.m.

This is all totally true and Tianjin was no different. I haven't joined another gym since the first one vanished a week after convincing me to buy a discounted membership renewal. So no I don't lift bro, I 'm sticking to running and bodyweight exercises until I get back to Canada.

http://thenanfang.com/new-gym-opening-beijing-press-release/?utm_content=buffer076e0[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=social[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=facebook.com[HTML_REMOVED]utm_campaign=buffer

www.natooke.com

Feb. 9, 2015, 8:18 a.m.

well purely from a practical standpoint, bodyweight exercises are enough for most people.

bahahahah - shoulda read the article first.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 9, 2015, 9:09 a.m.

well purely from a practical standpoint, bodyweight exercises are enough for most people.

bahahahah - shoulda read the article first.

I found a little workout park with a pull up bar running distance from my house. To hell with gyms. I've got a very effective smog mask too. It has the added bonus of giving me less air per breath so it's like altitude training.

www.natooke.com

Feb. 9, 2015, 11:26 a.m.

Your article isn't far off what I've seen in Canada. I typically have free access to pretty nice gyms at the bases I've been posted to, and I still paid money to buy a rack, bar, and set of weights so that I wouldn't have to mix with the proletariat.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 9, 2015, 11:24 p.m.

Your article isn't far off what I've seen in Canada. I typically have free access to pretty nice gyms at the bases I've been posted to, and I still paid money to buy a rack, bar, and set of weights so that I wouldn't have to mix with the proletariat.

I've been to a few gyms in Canada and I've never seen anything like the gyms here. Smoking in the locker rooms? Barbells never in their racks? People leaving their water bottle, phone, and towel on a station while they're using a different one?

www.natooke.com

Feb. 9, 2015, 11:45 p.m.

I've been to a few gyms in Canada and I've never seen anything like the gyms here. Smoking in the locker rooms? Barbells never in their racks? People leaving their water bottle, phone, and towel on a station while they're using a different one?

You should be used to that living in the Middle Kingdom there.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 10, 2015, 1:03 a.m.

You have done well there…..but i believe you have breached system overload. Abort Abort!

Feb. 10, 2015, 2:39 a.m.

Hahaha…funny article. Some things that are mentioned could even be true over here. There are either those big box-style gyms where the coaches usually seem to have the knowledge of a sandwich, or smaller ones which nearly alwas focus exclusively on machines and aerobic-type of classesc - and who do not understand the importance of full body workouts, or flatly refuse to even acknowledge these.

Quality gyms are rare, and that is one reason why I set up a small area in my garage.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 10, 2015, 11:51 a.m.

West Van rec centre can be pretty obnoxious. Full of 20 year old men in Popeyes vests supping Muscle Milk and letting the weight stacks smash to the base on every rep. They can't hear it though because they have Bruno Mars at 120db on their phones.

Oh well at least the changing rooms aren't full of masses of Iranian back hair that never gets cleaned up.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Feb. 10, 2015, 1:01 p.m.

I've seen some pretty shitty behaviour at Canadian gyms. Not putting weights away is a huge one, as is monopolizing machines/racks. No smoking in the locker rooms sure but there are other ways to be intrusive.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 10, 2015, 1:31 p.m.

Not putting weights away is a huge one, as is monopolizing machines/racks.

I see you have spent sometime at the KMCSC.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 10, 2015, 1:39 p.m.

Gave up on gyms over 10 years ago… got a BowFlex when my kids were born and love it… open 24 hours and no assholes to hog the equipment!!!

Feb. 10, 2015, 2:24 p.m.

what about Crossfit? Surely you'd be happy having all the positive support from other users?!? :lol:

Feb. 10, 2015, 2:48 p.m.

I hit the gym with a punch card membership usually in the fall do some core classes, shoulder PT, a few machines for upper body PT maybe some stair climber but mostly the legs take care of themselves when the snow flys

Feb. 10, 2015, 4:44 p.m.

gyms at the local aquatic centre are usually good i find: small, not crowded, no on-site employees, 24 hour card access, a rack that is open at most times, i can change the station if i don't like the music, $170 for 6 months. people are mostly respectful. not really a place to lounge around a socialize, so folks get in and out quick. way better than any other gym i've ever been a part of