wasp stings on the trails

Sept. 13, 2016, 7 p.m.

Earlier in the summer I got stung 3 times in about 5 seconds on a ride. On my upper lip, then in the neck and shoulder. My upper lip swelled up big time, I have never had a reaction like that to a wasp sting before.

Sept. 13, 2016, 8:59 p.m.

I think the important point, that I forgot to point out is that it might not be a bad idea to ask your doctor for a prescription for an epi pen, shell out the $120 and keep it in your riding pack. Might save someone's life on a ride!

Sept. 15, 2016, 9:52 a.m.

Been about 10 years since my last bee/wasp encounter. When I was a kid and teen I got stung lots and only had the usual oh-sh1t painful bite that lashed me in pain for the day.

So … a Bugger got me on the ankle while gardening.

Everything was fine for the first 5 days, then about a week in noticed that my ankle was starting to swell.

The entire area from my ankle to 2" higher stayed swollen for about 2 weeks.

I now carry a bunch of antihistamine tablets with me in my ride kit just in case. I'm thinking the epi pen or benadryl caps might be a better idea.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Sept. 15, 2016, 8:24 p.m.

^ I had some insect/spider bites on my shoulder this summer. The Benadryl and cortisone cream helped a lot. Plus I get to tell people that I was on the gear now too.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 15, 2016, 9:09 p.m.

spoke to a pharmacist today. he told me an epi pen or adrenaline ampules and a syringe would be the only way to save a life if anaphalactic shock ensued after a bee sting. well i ain't an RN so no ampules nad epi pen (x 2 if more than 20 minutes from a hospital he said) is huge bucks. hmmmm

Sept. 17, 2016, 8:11 p.m.

This stuff really works!

Sept. 18, 2016, 10:37 a.m.

thanks eh.

Sept. 20, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

Only been stung once in my life (thank god).. was at the GLC and went full tourettes until I realized what happened.

All was well as long as I kept an ice cube on it. As soon as it came off the venom reminded me to put it back on..

It's with the second sting that you find out if you're allergic. Be careful out there.

Sept. 26, 2016, 11:32 p.m.
  • You do no need a prescription for an epi-pen. Hasn't been that way for years.
  • I ride with antihistamines in my camelbak. When not using a pack, I often have a strip of tablets tucked into my bars.
  • The hard tablets will last 10x longer than the liquid caps. Liquid caps last longer, but lose potency with heat exposure.
  • You are very very unlikely to suffer an ill effects from taking old liquid antihistamines, or using an expired epipen. They lose potency, but do not turn toxic.
  • Benadryl can also be given to your trail dog if need be, but you need to reduce the dosage accordingly.

I frigging hate wasps. Childhood incident. Never got over it. Last year I spotted a big hanging paper globe nest on a bush. I stood back about 40 feet and launched a softball sized rock at it as hard as I could. Nailed it dead centre, and the thing exploded like Alderaan. Sooooooooooo satisfying. Unnecessary, vengeful, and petty, but soooooooooooo satisfying.

Nov. 24, 2016, 9:18 a.m.

This stuff really works!

Where did you get it?