wasp stings on the trails

Sept. 11, 2016, 9:58 p.m.

last night the missus and i got stung each 3 times when we stopped at the wrong spot on a trail. came out of a rotten log. talked to friends, a bunch of folks stung the last week. common where you ride? Cumberland trails brutal right now with them. hurt like hell in the moment, worse still today, getting hotter and more painful by the moment it feels like. wife is in serious discomfort, benedryl and advil doing surprisingly little.

Sept. 11, 2016, 10:44 p.m.

Today there were 3 stings on one ride here in Whistler,hadn't notice any all year so I guess it could be a trend of sorts? I don't really know much about wasps.

Sept. 11, 2016, 10:51 p.m.

It's the time of year when their easy food supplies are drying up. They get hungry and grumpy.

Sept. 12, 2016, 2:38 a.m.

A couple years back I got stung over a dozen times and chased by some little black and white hornets from inside a rotting log. Hurt like a sob and I had to ride home 7 miles. I was in pretty crappu shape when I got home. Try rubbing some hot sauce on the stings. The vinegar and heat from the peppers will help to neutralize the stings faster.

Sept. 12, 2016, 6:48 a.m.

What I do with mosquito bites which I would try IS take a cup full of boiling water put a spoon in the water to get it hot and put the spoon on the sting

Had to get rid of a wasps nest last week used the foam stuff, spray the foam on the entrance so the can't get out, then jam the little pipe in the side of the nest and fill it with foam …works awesume

I have also seen an old hippy do the non violent method which is go up a ladder to put the nest in a paper bag

Sept. 12, 2016, 8:55 a.m.

They are nasty. I don't react much. It hurts for about twenty minutes and goes away. If you find the nest under ground, simply bury the opening with dirt. Apparently that deals with it. I have done this in the past with success. I believe those are bald face hornets or yellow jackets that nest under ground or under shingles of your house. Paper nests are easy to deal with too. Long stick, smote the nest and flee.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 12, 2016, 1:28 p.m.

lots of the little bastards around this year for whatever reason. i've been stung twice in the last month. hadn't been stung in over a decade previously. pretty sure the endtimes are nigh. plagues of wasps, etc.

Sept. 12, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

no doubt. the wife's hand continues to swell. it's making me, er, her totally miserable…

Sept. 12, 2016, 4:35 p.m.

What I do with mosquito bites which I would try IS take a cup full of boiling water put a spoon in the water to get it hot and put the spoon on the sting

Had to get rid of a wasps nest last week used the foam stuff, spray the foam on the entrance so the can't get out, then jam the little pipe in the side of the nest and fill it with foam …works awesume

I have also seen an old hippy do the non violent method which is go up a ladder to put the nest in a paper bag

Foam? I used this stuff sprayed the side of the nest from 10 feet away. No survivors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwrJ8lY7fw

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 12, 2016, 5 p.m.

this year hasn't been as bad in Whistler as the past few, just be sure you always ride alone, or are leading the pack!

Sept. 12, 2016, 5:20 p.m.

Only been stung once in my life (thank god).. was at the GLC and went full tourettes until I realized what happened.

All was well as long as I kept an ice cube on it. As soon as it came off the venom reminded me to put it back on..

Sept. 12, 2016, 6:15 p.m.

Foam? I used this stuff sprayed the side of the nest from 10 feet away. No survivors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBwrJ8lY7fw

I'm talkin about a paper nest lodged in a funny place on a post n beam house stuck in a knee brace, hard to get a shot at it cuz the house is in the way so hit it from a shorter distance with the foam and they can't get out the entrance then you pump the nest full of foam and they are done

but watching an old grey haired hippy go up a ladder armed with nothing but a shopping bag is memorable … I think he had gone Buddhist

the wasps alwasy seem to be around when we are processing a bunch of salmon but they never sting anyone

Sept. 12, 2016, 6:38 p.m.

Those. Bald faced. Hornets are rated as one of the top most painful stings.
I had 14+ stings from one nest of them. Felt like I was shot..

Sept. 13, 2016, 3:06 p.m.

The amount of swelling and toxicity of the sting (painfulness) is not only related to the type of wasp or hornet that stung you but also what they were feasting on before they found you. If they've been nibbling on dead meat (fish after spawning, carrion in the bush) the sting is a lot worse.

I run a power saw 8 hrs straight in the forest thinning immature cut blocks at high production. there's no way to tell if you've already stepped on a nest or if the tree you just thinned had a paper nest that just dropped on top of your hard hat until you're already being stung. Needless to say I carry an epi pen just in case - sometimes after many years you can develop a lethal reaction from as little as a single sting even if you've never had a reaction before. Happened to my co-worker a few weeks ago after a lifetime of tree planting, thinning and spacing out cut blocks. One single sting in the eye nearly killed him.

Last years tally for me - 58 stings in total. On two occasions I was stung more than 15 times in one go. Most of those were in the head, face, ears and temple..ouch. Worse is not tucking your pants into your socks and they fly up your pants and sting you in some real sensitive places after you step on a ground nest. If you ever come across a forestry worker standing on the edge of a logging road wearing caulk boots and not much else, now you know why.

You'll be all good in no time, mix up some baking soda into a paste with a bit of waster - it helps some people with the itching.

Sept. 13, 2016, 6 p.m.

thanks for the edumacation man! sorry to hear about all your stings, yowch!