Vent - Achilles

Oct. 26, 2015, 7:16 p.m.

Grrrrr

While warming up for volleyball last night, I managed to snap my Achilles tendon. I wasn't even doing anything epic, just rallying with another player getting warmed up.

I meet with the surgeon tomorrow morning, so we will see if I'm heading under the knife.

-Gord

Oct. 26, 2015, 7:56 p.m.

Ugghh, that sucks! I hope you heal up quick!

Oct. 26, 2015, 8:17 p.m.

Savage!!!! I heard it sounds like a gunshot when it goes. Was it a full snap or a tear but still together?

Oct. 26, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

Grrrrr

While warming up for volleyball last night, I managed to snap my Achilles tendon. I wasn't even doing anything epic, just rallying with another player getting warmed up.

I meet with the surgeon tomorrow morning, so we will see if I'm heading under the knife.

-Gord

Brutal. I blew mine out in a biking crash a few years ago. Surgery the next day. It's a tough recovery. Pm me if you want a large L boot. It'll save you $400. Dumb Hospitals won't reuse them.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

Oct. 26, 2015, 8:50 p.m.

ugh, how much does that suck? brutal. i popped my hamstring last yr but probably not as bad as i hear achilles can be. i've had the odd sore achilles and asked my doc one time when i saw him. his take? it's gonna happen to a lot of guys as they age and there is little to prevent it from happening. and then he said if one goes, the other will probably go too at some point if you remain active. i hate that kinda shit!!

Oct. 26, 2015, 9:40 p.m.

Not sure if it is totally disconnected or not.

When it snapped, it felt and sounded like an elastic band breaking.

When I finished the pass, I knew something was wrong as I had no stability. I then sat down and realized that I could move my ankle too easily. The pain was 5-6/10 last night, and after they put a half-splint on, it dropped down as I could relax my lower leg muscles.

I hope age isn't the issue yet…I'm only 34! But this sucks since I'm useless at home with a 1and a 4 year old…so my wife is having to pick up the slack.

Thanks for the offer of the boot, I'm amazed by the generosity of folks on this site! I will let you know.

-Gord

Oct. 27, 2015, 11:18 a.m.

took me about 6 months to get back to where I could begin doing things like riding bikes and such without to much worry. 4 months to where it was getting better and limping around.

Ocean Kayaking is one sport you can do after about 2 months to keep sane. not something I really enjoy unless im hobbled with a leg injury

Oct. 27, 2015, 5:13 p.m.

Great info thanks.

I was slated for surgery today, but got bumped, so I'm getting it done tomorrow.

The doc said I'm not 100% disconnected, but pretty well there. My concern is the re-injury rate, which is cut in half with surgery and doesn't really add any recovery time.

For re-hab, I have a bowflex select weight set at home, and figure I can get into the pool once the incision heals and do laps with the pull-buoy. Kayaking is something that I would never have thought of, thanks.

-Gord

Oct. 28, 2015, 12:13 p.m.

see a physio asap after surgery. that procedure makes a lot of scar tissue.

Oct. 28, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

Foam rolling will be your friend, get something firm like the grid. You can get them locally at fitnesstown
http://www.fitnesstown.ca/All-Fitness-Equipment-Departments/Rehab-Wellness/Foam-Rollers/Department.aspx?DeptID=13

Of course follow your rehab instructions and don't start rolling too early,check with your physio or doc

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 25, 2016, 7:55 a.m.

The surgery went fine. In the end it was a full on disconnect.

I was in a cast for 4 weeks, and then in a boot for another 6. No pushing or stretching or physio until end of January (strict doc orders). I'm now doing toe-raises (2 footed), stretching, a bit of time on the roller and have returned to spinning on my trainer downstairs and a bit of swimming on the side…so it feels like progress.

I haven't been able to get in with a physio yet (working 12-hr days for the last month with only one day off).

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has had a similar injury. My thought is now that I'm riding on the trainer clipped in, I should be able to hit the road once I can stand on the pedals…once I can stand outside and rock the bike a bit, I'm thinking of returning to some of the trails. I don't want to rush anything and risk causing further damage…thoughts on the master plan?

-Gord

Feb. 25, 2016, 8:30 a.m.

The surgery went fine. In the end it was a full on disconnect.

I was in a cast for 4 weeks, and then in a boot for another 6. No pushing or stretching or physio until end of January (strict doc orders). I'm now doing toe-raises (2 footed), stretching, a bit of time on the roller and have returned to spinning on my trainer downstairs and a bit of swimming on the side…so it feels like progress.

I haven't been able to get in with a physio yet (working 12-hr days for the last month with only one day off).

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has had a similar injury. My thought is now that I'm riding on the trainer clipped in, I should be able to hit the road once I can stand on the pedals…once I can stand outside and rock the bike a bit, I'm thinking of returning to some of the trails. I don't want to rush anything and risk causing further damage…thoughts on the master plan?

-Gord

What kind of job are you doing for 12 hours a day? Are you on your feet? That injury is a long recovery.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Feb. 25, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

What kind of job are you doing for 12 hours a day? Are you on your feet? That injury is a long recovery.

Its a maintenance shutdown at a plant that I'm in charge of. I'm not on my feet all day (lots of computer time), and this is just a one-month thing.

Feb. 25, 2016, 10:16 a.m.

ugh, how much does that suck? brutal. i popped my hamstring last yr but probably not as bad as i hear achilles can be. i've had the odd sore achilles and asked my doc one time when i saw him. his take? it's gonna happen to a lot of guys as they age and there is little to prevent it from happening. and then he said if one goes, the other will probably go too at some point if you remain active. i hate that kinda shit!!

While a GP may think this, a body worker may know ways to avoid or prevent damage. GP's knowledge base often doesn't include some of the finer points of musculature and connective tissue function, or prevention of injury.

I've used Hellerwork, Rolfing, RMT's, exercise rehabilitation and Physios in recovering from and preventing injuries, both soft tissue and bone. My Dr. was helpful in providing pain meds (careful!) and notes for work etc. but I would highly recommend seeing someone similar very soon after your recovery. You may not be ready to begin work immediately, but a consult and finding someone you like to work with will be useful right away. RMT's and Physio are often covered, and some of them are also trained in some of the therapies that are not so they can work those in as well.

Disclaimers: I'm a scientific, proof- based kinda guy, and have found that there is a lot that's not covered by health care plans that is good, helpful, scientific therapy. Also my mother was a Hellerworker so I assume I have some bias, but I've delved into the science behind it, and seen and felt the results enough to think that's is a legitimate therapy.

Edit: Be super careful re-introducing activity. I don't know about achilles specifically, but I snapped a ligament in my thumb ("Skiiers Thumb casing a drop on A-Line in 2001) and was told that if I re-injured it they wouldn't be able to put it back together again. Mountain biking is unfortunately a very unpredictable activity re: the strains it puts on your body.

Soft tissue injuries suck, good luck, and try and stay patient!

Feb. 25, 2016, 10:52 a.m.

Its a maintenance shutdown at a plant that I'm in charge of. I'm not on my feet all day (lots of computer time), and this is just a one-month thing.

Not being on your feet all day is a definite plus. Tendons/ ligaments that have been torn clean and reattached take a long time to heal. They may feel good but as soon as you try to exercise/ride normally as before they will act up and nag you which means stop. You have to go super easy which sucks because one wants to get back in the game ASAP. Heat,massage,and the proper strengthening exercises shown to you by a good sports physio are all you can really do. Sounds like you are going about it the right way but unfortunately it takes time. I did my ACL years back and it would feel fine, as soon as I put the skis or trail ran on it would tweak and that was it for the day. This went on for a while, frustrating as hell. My roommate a few years back had the exact same injury as you and I took two years after the operation for him to feel 100%. It's a nasty injury for sure. Hope it heals up quickly.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch