Upper body workout

March 24, 2016, 1:42 p.m.

You going to meadow park?

Yep.

March 24, 2016, 5:08 p.m.

I like it there.. if the high school kids on their gym classes didn't clog up the floor so bad I'd even enjoy those times too.

March 25, 2016, 10 a.m.

That's not a bad list of things you're doing. You can definitely expand the list and get a better work out of each muscle group. It really all depends on how much equipment your gym has.

If your gym has a smith machine, you can do more bar exercises. Incline press, military press, shoulder shrugs and bench press (Not sure how these will affect your legs but you can give them a try). You can expand your bicep work out considerably with doing variations of curls. Hammer curls, standing curls, incline curls, preacher curls, reverse curls. You can also do different variations with pulldowns: wide grip and close grip.

mostly good advice - except for the smith machine, they're horrible so avoid them like the plague. and instead of doing all those curls do chinup and pullup variations instead as they offer way more overall benefit.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 26, 2016, 11:29 a.m.

I'm only really suggesting the smith machine to avoid having to walk around with dumbbells or use a barbell. It sounds like he's working out alone and most people aren't too comfortable doing bar exercises without a spotter or truly knowing what their limits are. I agree, it's not the best, but it's an option.

fair enough but in that case he'd be better off sticking to machines as he won't have to pick up weights and twist around to load the smith machine. with the selectorized machines all he needs to do is adjust a seat move the pin for the weight stack.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 26, 2016, 11:35 a.m.

nortonwhis, if you're going to the rec centre in whistler they should offer some sort of free orientation or program set-up. book an appointment with one of the trainers and explain your situation and they should be able to put a program together for you.

or, if you're in the city in the afternoon let me know and i'll set you up with a routine at the community centre i work at.

Ellen Langer

April 12, 2016, 9 p.m.

so how did this turn out nortonwhis? did you get a routine set up somewhere?

Ellen Langer

April 13, 2016, 11:09 a.m.

mostly good advice - except for the smith machine, they're horrible so avoid them like the plague. and instead of doing all those curls do chinup and pullup variations instead as they offer way more overall benefit.

A smith machine can be used very effectively in a training program. Especially great if you have an injury that needs working around.

April 13, 2016, 11:34 a.m.

I should get in on this training with splinky routine!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 13, 2016, 9:48 p.m.

A smith machine can be used very effectively in a training program. Especially great if you have an injury that needs working around.

i have zero love for the smith machine, it's basically a tool to disrupt the way the human body is designed to move. imo if it can be done on a smith machine it can be done in better ways without the smith machine.

Ellen Langer

April 15, 2016, 9:33 a.m.

Yeah its been going well. Im back on the road and stationery bike as well as leg work outs now, so the upper body frequency has been dropping. It was awesome to be able to get out and do something/anything and the upper body stuff you guys recommended was great.

April 15, 2016, 9:46 a.m.

Yeah its been going well. Im back on the road and stationery bike as well as leg work outs now, so the upper body frequency has been dropping. It was awesome to be able to get out and do something/anything and the upper body stuff you guys recommended was great.

nice!

Ellen Langer

April 15, 2016, 11:41 a.m.

How to do upper body workout w/o elbows?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.