The Running Thread

March 16, 2016, 5:46 p.m.

That sucks DarylMac. Just when it seems like the weather is going to turn a corner.

October is a long way off…I'm sure you'll recover in time to build up your base again.:martini:

I managed to catch the brutal cold that knocked out my wife for half a month, but I will run tonight no matter what.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 17, 2016, 3:10 p.m.

I'm in a more positive frame of mind now. I think I may have a quick recovery and be able to get back on my feet soon enough to still get the miles in. Worst case, I will run the half.

I've already started on rehab. When I have my foot elevated with an ice-pack tensored to my ankle I'm doing range of motion exercises. It's not much, because my range of motion is presently extremely limited, but it's pain free and I am hopeful it will help for later on

March 17, 2016, 5:59 p.m.

Barney knows how to train for a marathon.

March 18, 2016, 1:27 p.m.

My participation in BMO this year is in doubt. My right groin/adductor muscle is giving me all kinds of problems. For the past month I haven't been able to run more than 3kms.

Van Marathon is in about six weeks. I think I'm screwed.

www.natooke.com

March 18, 2016, 1:58 p.m.

Go to a good physio and get that sorted out pronto. You won't lose that much fitness if you have to take a full week or two off to heal. Ride the bike in the meantime, if the injury allows.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 18, 2016, 2:55 p.m.

Go to a good physio and get that sorted out pronto. You won't lose that much fitness if you have to take a full week or two off to heal. Ride the bike in the meantime, if the injury allows.

What this guy said. One to two weeks is nothing.

Foam roller that shit, and work the opposite muscle group to take advantage of reciprocal inhibition.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

March 30, 2016, 10:59 a.m.

Trail Dog.

I don't even have a dog and I enjoyed this tremendously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05sUhlxFBk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05sUhlxFBk0

April 14, 2016, 10:47 a.m.

This is frakking insane.

I have done some big races but this is over the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQmoxlUy33A

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

April 14, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

Physio fixed me and I did 15k a couple days ago. Unfortunately my conditioning seems to have taken a couple steps back from the time off recovering and I was knackered at the end. Body held together though.

I've got two weeks left. Not really sure how best to use them though. I'm thinking just peak at a half marathon in about a week and just see how it goes doing the full on May 1st.

I'll finish it but I won't be surprised if it takes five hours or so.

www.natooke.com

April 14, 2016, 2:44 p.m.

Netflix has a doc on the Barkleys that I really enjoyed

April 15, 2016, 7:18 a.m.

Physio fixed me and I did 15k a couple days ago. Unfortunately my conditioning seems to have taken a couple steps back from the time off recovering and I was knackered at the end. Body held together though.

I've got two weeks left. Not really sure how best to use them though. I'm thinking just peak at a half marathon in about a week and just see how it goes doing the full on May 1st.

I'll finish it but I won't be surprised if it takes five hours or so.

I did an Ironman in the same situation. I had a heel issue and had to take six weeks off running to get it sorted. Gave me only a month to get my run together before race day, I was set way back it was a huge bummer.
My advice on Race day is if you are feeling good in the first half of the race don't get carried away and start hammering. Dail it back a bit, use what you have left for the second half of the course, you will start tanking due to the layoff. Finish strong young jedi….

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

April 24, 2016, 5:56 p.m.

Netflix has a doc on the Barkleys that I really enjoyed

I watched it. If I'm feeling sorry for myself next week I'll just think about John.

www.natooke.com

May 7, 2016, 2:40 p.m.

I did an Ironman in the same situation. I had a heel issue and had to take six weeks off running to get it sorted. Gave me only a month to get my run together before race day, I was set way back it was a huge bummer.
My advice on Race day is if you are feeling good in the first half of the race don't get carried away and start hammering. Dail it back a bit, use what you have left for the second half of the course, you will start tanking due to the layoff. Finish strong young jedi….

Also remember that everyone starts way to fast. And will happen if you let yourself get sucked in to the mentality.

Remember the goal is to negative split the event, meaning the last half is where you run harder. This is where you make up ground on those who went out the first half fast and are starting to lose the RPM's.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 7, 2016, 7:40 p.m.

Also remember that everyone starts way to fast. And will happen if you let yourself get sucked in to the mentality.

Remember the goal is to negative split the event, meaning the last half is where you run harder. This is where you make up ground on those who went out the first half fast and are starting to lose the RPM's.

I'm pleased with how my pacing went last week. I held back for the first 32km and spent the last ten passing people. I was slow but I had a strong finish so I'm happy.

www.natooke.com

May 19, 2016, 9:18 p.m.

Just found this thread, good to be here.

I haven't run much in the last couple years, after we had our little guy. i'm hoping to get in shape by next year's BMO.

What kind of weekly kilometers are you guys getting in? I've been able to get 60k in max, and that's not a regular thing. I think I need to be running more if I want to run well next year. I also need to follow a training plan completely and not skip the harder workouts.

Any tips on getting out there often, with a kid and job etc? Lunchtimes at work have worked well in the past, but it's hard to get out the door. I have a year to sort it out I guess.