The Running Thread

April 19, 2015, 8:01 p.m.

Anybody do the Sun Run today? What a perfect morning for a run! They altered the start format and sent people out in waves 1 minute apart - I have to say, it made a big difference reducing congestion over the first 1km and was a big improvement.

April 19, 2015, 11:35 p.m.

I was near the front of the green wave, and it seemed slower than normal going down Georgia to the first turn and through the park. On the other hand, it forced me to not go too hard in the first couple of km, which paid off in the last 2km, so I could kick it up a notch and not blow up.

Definitely a beautiful morning for a run through the city.

May 1, 2015, 8:18 p.m.

do you guys ever have your feet swell up a day or two after a run for no apparent reason?

www.natooke.com

May 2, 2015, 7:47 a.m.

do you guys ever have your feet swell up a day or two after a run for no apparent reason?

During a run my feet swell. Never a day or two later…

May 2, 2015, 4:47 p.m.

Nope.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 2, 2015, 8:40 p.m.

Never mind. The evening before I posted that I was out drinking and my friend accidentally ran over my feet with his electric bike. I didn't remember until he phoned to apologize lol.

www.natooke.com

May 4, 2015, 12:07 a.m.

Never thought I would say this, but I'm actually enjoying road runs these days. Still a lot harder on the knees and hips than trail/dirt, but I've found the road running good for improving my form and running economy.

When I started running, my knees and hips wouldn't take much more than 30 minutes of road running.

Went on a trail run recently after a few weeks of road running, and noticed that my cadence seems up and running economy seems more efficient.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 22, 2015, 11:01 p.m.

Any advice for running in heat? Summer is rolling in and pretty soon I'll be trying to run in 37 degrees plus humidity. I imagine that can get risky if one isn't properly hydrated. Any of you guys ever run with a small hydration pack?

I'm still running 10kms at least twice a week and don't want to stop just because the weather is getting hot.

www.natooke.com

May 23, 2015, 9:38 a.m.

Any advice for running in heat? Summer is rolling in and pretty soon I'll be trying to run in 37 degrees plus humidity. I imagine that can get risky if one isn't properly hydrated. Any of you guys ever run with a small hydration pack?

I'm still running 10kms at least twice a week and don't want to stop just because the weather is getting hot.

Biggest thing is to be hydrated prior to running. So make sure your drinking enough during the day and so on.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 23, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

For that distance, I would try these in order of investment:

1. Handheld (like the ones below)

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/c-handhelds.aspx

2. Waist belt with flasks (should be just enough water for a hot 10K)

3. Hydration pack or running vest

Another idea would be to stash water somewhere along your route, say if you are doing loops or an out/back.

I've started running with an Ultimate Direction AK vest, but haven't needed water on runs up to 90 minutes. Nothing like 37 degrees heat though.

May 24, 2015, 7:24 a.m.

No matter how much I hydrate beforehand I always need water at the 5k mark. I tried a hydration pack today but found it very annoying. I think I'm just gonna go with handheld. I'll probably just carry the bottle though, I don't see the point of the strap.

www.natooke.com

May 24, 2015, 9:11 p.m.

No matter how much I hydrate beforehand I always need water at the 5k mark. I tried a hydration pack today but found it very annoying. I think I'm just gonna go with handheld. I'll probably just carry the bottle though, I don't see the point of the strap.

The strap is there to help you stay loose and keep a grip if/when your palms get sweaty. Loose is smooth, and smooth is fast! Emil Zatopek used to run with his forefinger and thumb touching just light enough to hold a piece of paper. If you don't know who Emil Zatopek is just read his Wikipedia page or read up on the 1952 Olympics. No one will ever accomplish what he did ever again.

But yeah, start with the bottle and buy the strap if/when you feel you need it. I wouldn't bother on a 10k, but I've done 3 half marathons holding a phone in my hand and would have preferred a strap for that distance.

May 26, 2015, 3:36 a.m.

So there's a park with a running track near my house. Usually I run there and do a lap and run home. Today I decided to take the electric bike there and only run in the park. I talked to the old lady at the drink stand and we worked out a perfect system. She gets a small cup of water ready for me every lap that I can down in one gulp. One lap is 1500m. After the run I pay her for the water. Very kind of her I think.

www.natooke.com

May 30, 2015, 9:14 p.m.

So there's a park with a running track near my house. Usually I run there and do a lap and run home. Today I decided to take the electric bike there and only run in the park. I talked to the old lady at the drink stand and we worked out a perfect system. She gets a small cup of water ready for me every lap that I can down in one gulp. One lap is 1500m. After the run I pay her for the water. Very kind of her I think.

Sorry…did you just say "electric bike"?

And yes it is helpful of her.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 4, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

I'm the same, and hate carrying, too. I sweat a ton. On really long runs, I go out and stash drinks beforehand. On shorter (10-15 KM) I will plan the route around carrying a VISA, stopping in at a store or a couple of stores part way through, and buying a bottle. Stopping will not kill your run, and there is an argument that it will actually help in building your overall game.

Best, not cumbersome water bottle belts, packs, or anything to carry the whole time.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.