The Running Thread

March 5, 2014, 8:27 p.m.

The Kenyan runners switched to this method some years ago and the high-cadence philosophy eventually made its way into road cycling in the 1990s where riders who trained for high-cadence pedaling came to dominate the Grand Tours.

:lol: Yeah that's what it was…cadence! Not EPO and blood transfusions.

March 6, 2014, 9:26 a.m.

:lol: Yeah that's what it was…cadence! Not EPO and blood transfusions.

The guys doing EPO and blood transfusions pedalling 100 rpms with lower gearing beat out guys doing EPO and blood transfusions riding bigger gears at lower cadence …

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/why-fast-pedaling-makes-cyclists-more-efficient

March 6, 2014, 4:17 p.m.

I just signed up for the seek the peak…I am a little worried! This is going to force me to get my ass in gear. I did lots of races pre-kids when training time was virtually unlimited and so was sleep time. I envision lots of night running.

March 6, 2014, 5:04 p.m.

After ya gone barefoot/minimalist where can the next fad go but Max cush

http://www.hokaoneone.com/

what do ya think of these?

The whole 5Ten type shoes is taking it to the extreme. But when I consider the shoes I had back in the mid 80's…think along the lines of the old blue and yellow Adidas we all had. Pretty much what we called racing flats now days.

But when you talk about technique you have to consider some factors. that is how the human foot is designed to work. All the padding for foot strike is towards the front of the foot And nothing really in the heel. If you tried to run how most runners are designed it would be fucking painful heel landing. Why they put all that padding and wedge shape under the heel.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 6, 2014, 5:10 p.m.

After doing some reading including the mandatory Born to Run as well as Chi Running and Evolution Running (vid), I came to realize that I was doing almost everything wrong.

This is the study on Cushioning and impact force from McGill University mentioned in Born to Run.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9429006

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

What is funny is that despite all the marketing that all the widgets sold to us in running shoes does not decrease injuries. Funnily enough the more expensive the shoe the more chance of injury.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 6, 2014, 5:15 p.m.

Found this interesting bit of info.

http://www.hillrunner.com/articles/article.php/lydiard_misconceptions

When people say that the Lydiard system is outdated, they often cite the Kenyans as people who are supposedly succeeding on a system that is nothing like Lydiard's. However, consider some facts before believing this conclusion. First, people who say this usually say that the Kenyans are running faster than Lydiard would suggest. Read the Lydiard Clinic and you will probably disagree with that statement. Second, they make wild claims of how fast the Kenyans are training, such as one individual who told me that the Kenyans never run slower than lactate threshold pace. That would be an impressive accomplishment, seeing as they frequently do two hour runs while rarely run for less than one hour at a time and lactate threshold pace is roughly the pace one can hold for a one hour race. Frequent one to two hour runs at one hour race pace? No wonder why they are so good.

In reality, though, things look a bit different. Are the Kenyans following a system different than the Lydiard system? Take Lydiard's own observations on that into consideration. In 1992, Lydiard visited Kenya. He intended to discuss the Lydiard system with the Kenyans. When he got there, though, he observed them and realized that they were already following the Lydiard system. Without Lydiard's help, the Kenyans had found the same thing that Lydiard had found three decades earlier. The Kenyan system is, in fact, so similar to the Lydiard system that he often used them as examples of what can be accomplished in future presentations.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 7, 2014, 1:50 a.m.

Ona related note - I bought Brian McK.'s book "Power Speed Endurance" - and was hugely disappointed. The only good thing about is was a detailed description and plan for running anatomically correct in minimalistic footwear.

After reading it I xould not get my head around to training according to the CrossfItEndurance template - I simply could not.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 23, 2014, 9:53 a.m.

So here is a question for those health experts: other than training for a specific event / distance, is there any benefit to running longer than 45 mins? (assuming it's a hard 45 minutes). I keep hearing and reading about the lack of benefits from "low and slow" excercise, how it just burns muscle.

I am making the assumption that trail running on the north shore has enough variation, elevation etc… that it qualifies for interval training than say running a flat road?

So what does running said north shore trails for 1.5+ hours do for you?

My long term goal is general health, not worrying to much about looks, physique etc…

March 23, 2014, 12:06 p.m.

My take is that for just keeping in shape 45 min is gona be 8 or 10K, its the fastest cheapest aerobic workout you can do and because you limit your milage you will be less likely to get injured

March 23, 2014, 12:10 p.m.

Running boosts your aerobic engine way quicker than a bike ride will. I've found that running noticeably boosts bike fitness, but I've never found it to go the other way around. You can't coast on a run. ;)

Check my stuff for sale!

March 23, 2014, 12:21 p.m.

yup you need to do 2 hrs on a bike to get the equivalent work out of a 1 hr run

March 23, 2014, 5:13 p.m.

Running also increases your bone density (as it is load-bearing) and the strength of your connective tissues (ligaments, tendons, cartilage etc) and strengthens the muscles that provide lateral support and balance to your lower body and your core in ways that cycling can't. Not saying its "better", but it does provide some benefits that are lacking in a highly specialized activity like cycling.

March 29, 2014, 8:14 a.m.

I hate to nerd it up with gear questions, but I need some new shoes and these Altras have me intrigued.

Right now I run in some Skechers GoBionics which I have no real issues with other than gravel getting stuck in the outsole, so was thinking of something like the Altra The One. I'm shooting more for lowering my 5k time than building mad distance, and I have really wide feet - 10.5 4E.

Anyone know of a shop in metro van that actually has these in stock? The webbernet says the sizing can be tricky.

What other zero drop shoes might you recommend for my sasquatch feet?

Check my stuff for sale!

March 29, 2014, 12:43 p.m.

I hate to nerd it up with gear questions, but I need some new shoes and these Altras have me intrigued.

Right now I run in some Skechers GoBionics which I have no real issues with other than gravel getting stuck in the outsole, so was thinking of something like the Altra The One. I'm shooting more for lowering my 5k time than building mad distance, and I have really wide feet - 10.5 4E.

Anyone know of a shop in metro van that actually has these in stock? The webbernet says the sizing can be tricky.

What other zero drop shoes might you recommend for my sasquatch feet?

Kintec carry Altra, maybe give them a call to see if they carry that model.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 29, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

So here is a question for those health experts: other than training for a specific event / distance, is there any benefit to running longer than 45 mins? (assuming it's a hard 45 minutes). I keep hearing and reading about the lack of benefits from "low and slow" excercise, how it just burns muscle.

I am making the assumption that trail running on the north shore has enough variation, elevation etc… that it qualifies for interval training than say running a flat road?

So what does running said north shore trails for 1.5+ hours do for you?

My long term goal is general health, not worrying to much about looks, physique etc…

it really depends on what benefits you're after. if all you want is improved CV conditioning then it's been shown that 15 minute HIIT or tabatas will provide as much benefit as a 10k run. what the shorter workouts won't provide though is the soft tissue conditioning (muscles, connective tissue, etc.) to run long distances. and yes long endurance training is catabolic, so it does "burn muscle." so running the trails for 1.5 hrs will help improve your CV fitness and muscular endurance as well as improve things like agility and co-ordination to a degree. and in some hard charging hills or sprints and you can also work on speed and power to a degree as well. it would also good for your mental well being (emotionally and intellectualy). the drawback is potential knee issues and possible sprains to particularly the ankles if you mis-step while running on uneven terrain.

the key thing with any fintess prorgram is to determine what your goals and expectations are and then find an activity to fulfill those goals that you also enjoy doing.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer