The Running Thread

March 3, 2014, 4:04 p.m.

A-D-S Since you mentioned it, yup, female :)
I am praying for sun shine, however the BMO 1/2 Marathon is May 4th so high likely hood that it will rain. If you don't mind asking where would you apply the glide? I've never had any chaffing issues but the longest run I've done so far has been 16km. The more preventative things I can do the better.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

March 3, 2014, 5:19 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2809124]Any words of wisdom from folks who have done a 1/2 Marathon ?

Only 8 weeks of training left and am starting to feel a little nervous.[/QUOTE]

Clip your toenails, make sure whatever you're wearing that day won't chafe your skin on a 21 km run …

March 3, 2014, 9:51 p.m.

Lots of good info Reid Coolsaet learned in Kenya.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/running/training-secrets-of-kenyan-runners/article596974/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 5, 2014, 9:14 a.m.

Good times on Burnaby mountain this morning in my new grippy shoes

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

March 5, 2014, 9:22 a.m.

band-aids on the nips.

March 5, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

Good times on Burnaby mountain this morning in my new grippy shoes

Which ones? I picked up a pair of La Sportiva Vertical Ks this winter and the grip is amazing, like Stick-E rubber for soles.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 5, 2014, 10:39 a.m.

Weird coincidence….I was about to start a thread on running as well, but sanrensho beat me.

I lost a kind of bet on Jan 2 and I have to run a half-marathon as well, did some research, bought some books, talked to some colleagues who are serious marathon runners - and I have been bitten by the running bug, which is odd but nice.

I have not run properly for nearly 22 years, and I am slowly getting back into shape.

Race is on June 15, and up to then I am not really riding that much, with my family, veggie garden, work and other stuff.

Really excited.

The Person I lost my bet to has been running since last September, and first her right hip and now her right knee is troubling her, probably inflamed.

We had a chat a few days ago, and she does not believe me that it may come from an utterly wrong technique. She does not want to read anything or take a lesson at all - I can just scratch my head.

She did google some authors I mentioned (mostly Germans, she does not read English at all), and she did not think them worthwhile.
That reminded me of the thread about the death of Expertise - I eventually stopped trying to get my Point across. I finished by saying that my Joints do not hurt, my muscles do sometimes, but not my Joints and I said that I know a few serious runners who have no issues as well, she was irritated, nothing more.

How serious is proper technique for you guys?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 5, 2014, 10:56 a.m.

Technique is VERY important I became a forefoot striker after inflammmed achilles and finaly PF

I asked the ultra runner coach guy runningthenorth about minimalst shoes and he sez he will run in them for short periods to work on the technique but otherwise he has some very specific shoes

March 5, 2014, 11:08 a.m.

Which ones? I picked up a pair of La Sportiva Vertical Ks this winter and the grip is amazing, like Stick-E rubber for soles.

My fifth pair of Inov-8's these ones are the Roclite 285 (the Canadian distributor is changing so supply is limited but Dave at Distance Runwear got these for me at a discount which was great). I had some La Sportiva Crosslite a few year ago, great grip but Italian durability.

March 5, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

How serious is proper technique for you guys?

The more time you spend running, the more important your technique is. Small aggrvations under serious repetition can turn into chronic problems. When I started running marathons, I had to re-learn how to place my feet and shorten and quicken my stride. The goal is to minimize the jarring impact of the ground on your body.

There seem to be 2 main ways to do this (these worked for me, they may not work for everyone depending on, for example, your natural gait or the pronation of your feet):

1. The first point of contact with the ground should be away from the heel and around the ball of the foot and slightly to the outside of the foot (typically in the area between the 3rd and 4th metatarsal). Your metatarsal bones and ankle joint diffuse the shock before it gets to your knees, hip and back. Think of landing towards the outerside of your foot when you run. I find if land on the inside of my foot, it torques my knee inwards which doesn't feel good (especially my right/reconstructed knee). Landing on your heel, by comparison, is like taking a sledgehammer to the base of your tibia bone.

2. Short steps with quick cadence is better than long, bounding strides in distance running. Landing your feet closer to your body reduces the impact and you can compensate for lack of stride by turning your pace around more quickly. The Kenyan runners switched to this method some years ago and the high-cadence philosophy eventually made its way into road cycling in the 1990s where riders who trained for high-cadence pedaling came to dominate the Grand Tours.

That said, you see all kinds of people with all kinds of running styles, some of them excellent runners so there is no "right way" except the one that allows you to run at a good pace without getting an injury. People are also encouraged to try to work with their own natural gait and not go suddenly into a forced technique. The last important thing in distance running is to make sure you are relaxed as you run. Fighting your body's natural movement will probably result in you fatiguing sooner and/or getting a repetitive strain injury.

I have a reconstructed ACL (and no MCL) in one knee and my race weight was usually over 200 lbs and I never had any problems after I "re-learned" to run. (I'm just past my mid 40s and my last Marathon time was 3:45. I once ran a 1/2 marathon leg of a 1/2 Ironman in 1:40 - all very flat courses, of course!).

Here are some articles (esp the first 2):
https://www.google.ca/#q=foot+strike+heel+or+toe

March 5, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

After ya gone barefoot/minimalist where can the next fad go but Max cush

http://www.hokaoneone.com/

what do ya think of these?

March 5, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

My buddy has a pair, he described then as cadillac's out on the trail. I'm not convinced but then again you need to be careful around really minimal shoes, I one pair (Merrell Trailglove's) that were awesome and comfortable over marathon distance and another pair (New Balance Minimus) that were terrible and then I switched to these http://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/instinct-15 which are zero drop with cushioning, kind of a turbo diesel shoes. I see buddy with the Hoka out in his Altra's more at the moment

March 5, 2014, 1:38 p.m.

I have a bad knee and previously busted hip, so technique (form) is hugely important to me.

After doing some reading including the mandatory Born to Run as well as Chi Running and Evolution Running (vid), I came to realize that I was doing almost everything wrong.

Chest out (head back) and long pounding strides seemed fast and proper to me. I now focus on high cadence/short strides, proper lean, and improving my running efficiency to stay injury-free. I can't afford to get hurt running as that would cut into my biking.:nono:

Running as a secondary sport to biking is great, because I don't have to set goals that might lead me to overuse injury. Furthermore, I find that spinning is great recovery for running, and tempo runs work different muscles so that I can still put in a hard threshold workout on the bike after a run day.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 5, 2014, 1:51 p.m.

My buddy has a pair, he described then as cadillac's out on the trail. I'm not convinced but then again you need to be careful around really minimal shoes, I one pair (Merrell Trailglove's) that were awesome and comfortable over marathon distance and another pair (New Balance Minimus) that were terrible and then I switched to these http://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/instinct-15 which are zero drop with cushioning, kind of a turbo diesel shoes. I see buddy with the Hoka out in his Altra's more at the moment

My buddy the sports physio ultra runner told me about the Hoka he figures they will extend his running career by 10 yrs, I asked him about minimalist/barefoot thing and he said it depends on the runner and not everybody should go minimalist

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain-running/wildcat-20-gtx-womens

best fitting shoe^^ I ever had, in spite of coming off 2 pair of motion control shoes these have been working and the gortex IS pretty water proof …nice when you are postholeing knee deep in snow with gators

March 5, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

My buddy the sports physio ultra runner told me about the Hoka he figures they will extend his running career by 10 yrs, I asked him about minimalist/barefoot thing and he said it depends on the runner and not everybody should go minimalist

I think if you run consistently with midfoot form, then it carries over between shoes (within reason). Keeping in mind that I'm a running noob, I switch between 11mm drop Inov-8s and 4mm La Sportiva without issue so far.