The Running Thread

Feb. 28, 2014, 4:44 p.m.

Any words of wisdom from folks who have done a 1/2 Marathon ?

Only 8 weeks of training left and am starting to feel a little nervous.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Feb. 28, 2014, 4:59 p.m.

What's your plan? Obviously finish but what time around 2hours?

If you've run some races say 10 or 15 you can probably fake it but it will hurt alot, so instead try and run a balanced pace for the 1 and 2 halves, and practice running at the this pace in training so you know what it feels like. Demo forest is a good place for this type of thing. In fact out and back at slightly slower than race pace on the demo forest trailway would make a fine training run.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Feb. 28, 2014, 5:36 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2809124]Any words of wisdom from folks who have done a 1/2 Marathon ?

Only 8 weeks of training left and am starting to feel a little nervous.[/QUOTE]

Divide the race in half….start slow and build your speed up till the end.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 28, 2014, 6:54 p.m.

runners! so i split my weekends between riding and trail running. i only just started mtn biking but am slowly becoming addicted. i've been running for years but only started trails this year…so really, i just spend all weekend on the shore!

love LSCR, lynn headwaters (loop, lynn peak and norvan falls). BP from Deep Cove is also awesome.

as for half marathon, lots of programs online but really as long as you can run around 16km you'll be fine. is it a trail or road? totally different. i tend not to road run much anymore. kills my body so much faster than trails that works so many more muscles.

Feb. 28, 2014, 6:56 p.m.

Nice, I knew we had quite a few closet runners here.

nice, this sort of thing is the general direction my running is going in, you can make some pretty crazy loops on the North Shore i.e. run to the Seymour damn and back out along the Fanin range approx 14 hours from riverside drive, we will see what the summer brings.

I'm looking forward to doing some mountain runs on Seymour and a bit on Grouse/Cypress this year.

The good thing is that (road) cycling has excellent crossover for uphill running. Too bad that my downhills suck despite my efforts to limit impact on knees/hips.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 28, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

nice, this sort of thing is the general direction my running is going in,.

I met this guy last month in a hut he is runner and he coaches ultra runners, a nice guy with an interesting blog, he is coming west next week to see how far he can ski in 24hrs… should be very cool to see what happens in his 1st rando event

Feb. 28, 2014, 7:27 p.m.

Like running … but not as much as cycling. I've done some "serious" running ranging from marathons to 5 k road races. I find it a little too boring, and need races to keep me motivated. North Shore trail running is fun, its cool to bound over rocks, quickstep through roots, sprint uphill sections as fast as you can and boost yourself into the air off of boulders. For the last while I've been spending my winters tryingto drop my 3 mile time (the optimal combination of distance and power for me) on a treadmill … I've gone from about 22 min down to 18:40 in the last few months. I'm sure I can drop it some more. Will keep trying until the Whistler Bike Park Opens.

March 1, 2014, 9:42 p.m.

Hope it snows a decent amount tomorrow. Nothing better than a trail run on soft pillowy snow.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 2, 2014, 12:18 a.m.

I run the ski out to town for early season training , start in little to no snow and end up in knee deep snow at the bottom of the lifts

IME gortex runners with gaiters and ski poles are the best thing for snow running

March 2, 2014, 6:25 p.m.

A blast from the past….running the Sunshine Coast Trail in one shot….180km

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ps6iwJO7zk

And if anyone is wanting some training…..Marathon Shuffle..

https://www.facebook.com/events/663581070328281/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 3, 2014, 10:29 a.m.

Thanks for all the advise and great suggestions. I managed to get in a 14km trail run yesterday in the snow/slush up the demo forest, in order to avoid the compacted snow I stuck to Richard Juryn, BP, circuit 8/john tompson, rice lake loop and back to Cap U. Trail running definitely seems slower but more mentally engaging super fun.

Thanks helpful folks on NSMB !!

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

March 3, 2014, 11:17 a.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2809517]Thanks for all the advise and great suggestions. I managed to get in a 14km trail run yesterday in the snow/slush up the demo forest, in order to avoid the compacted snow I stuck to Richard Juryn, BP, circuit 8/john tompson, rice lake loop and back to Cap U. Trail running definitely seems slower but more mentally engaging super fun.

Thanks helpful folks on NSMB !![/QUOTE]

Give yourself extra points for running in the slush. It's a much harder workout keeping traction in the slush, between digging in your feet and pulling out.

Agree that running on technical trails is super mentally engaging, both up and down. There is never any let up like on a bike, and it makes you highly attentive to even the smallest details on the trail.

March 3, 2014, 11:24 a.m.

Use ski poles for running in the slippery conditions its much safer and your arms also get a work out.

March 3, 2014, 2:49 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2809124]Any words of wisdom from folks who have done a 1/2 Marathon ?

Only 8 weeks of training left and am starting to feel a little nervous.[/QUOTE]

If it's raining watch out for chaffing…I speak from experience. Actually I think you are female so never mind.

March 3, 2014, 2:57 p.m.

body glide, thats the stuff that worked.