The Running Thread

Feb. 27, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

Didn't see one so I thought a general running thread might be pertinent to some people's interests.

I started running last fall to get some weight-bearing activity (typical cyclist's low bone density), add some variation from a steady diet of winter rollers/trainer workouts, and stay warm before my kids' soccer games. Never was able to run before due to pain from hip hardware, which I had removed.

Finding it nice to explore trails that I haven't been on in years as well as those I can't access on an mtb (no intention of riding mtb again). Enjoy the minimalism and lack of gear too. So far averaging 2-3 runs/week usually a bit over an hour.

Also, enjoying 2 a days as I find that an evening spin helps with recovery from an afternoon run.

Who else is running?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 27, 2014, 3:05 p.m.

Ha!

Being a closet roadie on NSMB is a challenge. Admitting to enjoying a run is even harder.

Yup I run. The only issue is I run on MTB trails, and inevitable start fixing things, and/or exploring for new lines (or trails). Just about every run, has a component of lifting logs, or moving stones, or bashing through the forest.

Pretty impressed with this series, and think I might actually sign up for my first running race.

http://www.coastmountaintrailseries.com/

Feb. 27, 2014, 3:35 p.m.

running!?!?! yuk! :banned:

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Feb. 27, 2014, 3:42 p.m.

Pretty impressed with this series, and think I might actually sign up for my first running race.

http://www.coastmountaintrailseries.com/

Buckin' Hell looks good (uphill). But it's also in my backyard so I can't justify paying for something I can hypothetically do at any time.

There's also the MEC series for affordable racing.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 27, 2014, 4:17 p.m.

Yep, trying to run more. I ran a lot pre-kids, but like a lot of other things (riding) that fell by the way side. I find it's the simplest, fastest way to get a good workout. Once the kids are in bed I can go for a run at 9pm. I've dabbled with night-trail running too. Just strapped the magic shine to the chest belt of my pack and carry a torch in my hand.

Feb. 27, 2014, 4:17 p.m.

Buckin' Hell looks good (uphill). But it's also in my backyard so I can't justify paying for something I can hypothetically do at any time.

There's also the MEC series for affordable racing.

Even cheaper meaning free…

https://www.facebook.com/groups/clubfatass/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 27, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

I've dabbled with night-trail running too. Just strapped the magic shine to the chest belt of my pack and carry a torch in my hand.

What area? LSCR and vicinity would be ideal (non-technical)for night trail running, but nothing like that in the Seymour area.

Feb. 27, 2014, 5:42 p.m.

Speaking of running…the Hoyts are attending to some unfinished business,

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/2014-boston-marathon-will-be-last-for-dick-and-rick-hoyt?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-News-_-HoytsBoston

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 27, 2014, 9:20 p.m.

I find running a perfect complement for when A) the weather sucks for riding, B) the bike is broken, or C) I'm really angry….I find riding angry or in a poor mindset is not great, I prefer to be settled and focused when I'm moving at high speed.

I like using my runs to explore new riding trails, and trails I'm too chicken-shit to ride. On some of the really tech trails, running is about the same speed as riding. If you check the times for the Comfortably Numb trail run, you'll find they compare pretty favorably to the time it takes to ride the route.

Also, unlike riding, if I get half way down a trail, and it kind of sucks, it's not a waste of elevation. Thus, I tend to use it to explore things I haven't ridden. Also good for the mutt- she don't like riding speed.

Feb. 27, 2014, 10:53 p.m.

I do some trail runs once in a while for the sole benefit of my dog who is too old for mtb rides anymore. I do enjoy it…but hard to choose it over riding bikes.

Feb. 27, 2014, 11:25 p.m.

I started trail running when our dog could no longer mtb ride. Sadly, he is gone now and I've lost the motivation to trail run. I did enjoy it at the time, though. It was a nice option, especially on mucky days.

Feb. 28, 2014, 6:55 a.m.

http://runningthenorth.com/rtnwordpress/

check this runner out^^ definatley at another level

Feb. 28, 2014, 8:25 a.m.

What area? LSCR and vicinity would be ideal (non-technical)for night trail running, but nothing like that in the Seymour area.

Mostly lynn canyon, lynn headwaters - tons of loops that you can link up to make a good run. It's out my back door and relatively close to civilization. But still gets you that feeling of being out there at night.

Feb. 28, 2014, 10:15 a.m.

Running both road and trail has become a bit of a side passion for me.

I love that I can go out for 30 minutes and feel amazing after. Cost is about $300/yr for shoes, I can do it alone or with friends, I run at work during my lunch hour and from home on the trails.

Training for my first 1/2 marathon right now! Last year I did 4 of the Mec races ($10 -$15) each, at one in Victoria I won a $25 gift card that paid for the following 2 races. Loved that I could run races in North Van just steps from by bed :)

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Feb. 28, 2014, 4:27 p.m.

http://runningthenorth.com/rtnwordpress/

check this runner out^^ definatley at another level

nice, this sort of thing is the general direction my running is going in, you can make some pretty crazy loops on the North Shore i.e. run to the Seymour damn and back out along the Fanin range approx 14 hours from riverside drive, we will see what the summer brings.

Try Bridle, Old Buck, BP, Powerline, For Ever After for a fun relatively low technical challenge night run, I guess like riding one person technical is another's easy. I like St Mary's, Dreamweaver, 7th, Leppard, Crinkum, Kirkford, Griffin, BP, Dempsey for a satisfying run any time of the day.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr