The Running Thread

April 9, 2018, 1:06 p.m.

I kept up a pretty regular routine doing 8-10k runs through the winter, with the goal of getting close to my pre-kids Sun Run PR this year.  Feeling pretty good, I think I can do it.

Summer goals are to do some bigger distances like Hanes Valley, and maybe the eastern half of the BP.

I ran from Lynn Valley to Grouse Mountain via BP, No Quarter, Peer Gynt and Mountain Highway last summer, which was a fun outing.  So many great trails out there.

April 9, 2018, 3:05 p.m.

Hanes Valley lap is a great challenging day out. Whatever food you think you need double it. The Scree slope is a killer.
I want to give the Howe Sound Crest trail a go in one day, make sure we have a BBQ and cold beer waiting in Porteau Cove.
Have to get my distances up a fair ways before I try that, it's 30K 2400M of climbing. Heard its a bitch

April 9, 2018, 7:04 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Hanes Valley lap is a great challenging day out. Whatever food you think you need double it. The Scree slope is a killer.
I want to give the Howe Sound Crest trail a go in one day, make sure we have a BBQ and cold beer waiting in Porteau Cove.
Have to get my distances up a fair ways before I try that, it's 30K 2400M of climbing. Heard its a bitch

I wanna do that too and me and a buddy are gonna give it a go when the snow melts. Let me know if you want me to shoot you a pm when we do.

As for the distance we won't be able to run a large portion of it from what I've heard so it'll be more like power hiking. Not like trying to run 30k non-stop on the road or anything.

Be on Cypress for sunrise and enjoy the scenery along the way is our plan. And hopefully not have to get lifted out by a helicopter haha

April 9, 2018, 7:08 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I kept up a pretty regular routine doing 8-10k runs through the winter, with the goal of getting close to my pre-kids Sun Run PR this year.  Feeling pretty good, I think I can do it.

Summer goals are to do some bigger distances like Hanes Valley, and maybe the eastern half of the BP.

I ran from Lynn Valley to Grouse Mountain via BP, No Quarter, Peer Gynt and Mountain Highway last summer, which was a fun outing.  So many great trails out there.

Hanes Valley looks like a great time. Got another one on the list now, thank you.

April 9, 2018, 11:05 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Posted by: Brocklanders

I wanna do that too and me and a buddy are gonna give it a go when the snow melts. Let me know if you want me to shoot you a pm when we do.

As for the distance we won't be able to run a large portion of it from what I've heard so it'll be more like power hiking. Not like trying to run 30k non-stop on the road or anything.

Be on Cypress for sunrise and enjoy the scenery along the way is our plan. And hopefully not have to get lifted out by a helicopter haha

Ya for sure. Would like to go with a small group. Yes agreed from what I have seen its only about 10-15 km running. Clubtread site has lots of good epic trail run-hike info.

Would be a wicked day out.

For sure PM me.

Cheers

Last edited by: Brocklanders on April 9, 2018, 11:09 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 11, 2018, 7:21 p.m.

Awesome, will do

April 14, 2018, 7:40 a.m.

Ya HSCT has a lot of snow until peak summer. In the past few years it's only been fully clear of snow in July-ish. You don't want to get caught up there post-holing your way along. Will take forever and it already takes about 10h if you're fit. If it's hot out and it's been a dry summer, be sure to bring LOTS of water.  I know of a few people who 'ran out'. :o

I've done a bunch of long backcountry trail runs/adventures (Hanes, Coliseum, Needles etc) but haven't been able to make it out to HSCT with folks I run with because of scheduling. Hopefully this year! It's my main running/hiking goal for 2018...

April 15, 2018, 8:53 a.m.

I've been told to bring four liters of life at least.

April 16, 2018, 8:54 a.m.

Posted by: nutsnhoney

Ya HSCT has a lot of snow until peak summer. In the past few years it's only been fully clear of snow in July-ish. You don't want to get caught up there post-holing your way along. Will take forever and it already takes about 10h if you're fit. If it's hot out and it's been a dry summer, be sure to bring LOTS of water. I know of a few people who 'ran out'. :o

I've done a bunch of long backcountry trail runs/adventures (Hanes, Coliseum, Needles etc) but haven't been able to make it out to HSCT with folks I run with because of scheduling. Hopefully this year! It's my main running/hiking goal for 2018...

Think the best call is to hit it late August. That's when we usually do Hanes to make sure the snowpack is melted. Thx for the water info. No fresh water on course I  gather.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on April 16, 2018, 8:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 4, 2018, 8:16 a.m.

Had my first DNF yesterday at the MEC 55k ultra in Ambleside.

Slipped on some rocks on a steep downhill bit about 20k in, bounced off my ass and rolled a bit over some rocks bruising my arms and hips. Got back up and started running again but was feeling very shaken up. My Garmin was acting up too, being way too optimistic and telling me I was nearly at the aid station despite being over 5k away. Then my legs started cramping up, started feeling very cold as well. Limped into the aid station and tapped out.

On the plus side I did do a PR for a 25k trail run with 1000 meters of climbing. I figure if I hadn't had that wipe out I might have beaten my time last year by over 90 minutes. Ah well..

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on June 4, 2018, 3:53 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 18, 2018, 9:32 p.m.

Jogging is a 10-minute walk and a 4-minute walk.

Last edited by: Alinda on July 18, 2018, 9:34 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 17, 2019, 4:16 p.m.

This is just amazing. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46906365

Feb. 5, 2019, 11:23 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

This is just amazing. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46906365

What she has achieved is just phenomenal.

April 5, 2020, 11:49 a.m.

Is anyone still running? How do we feel about the safety of it? I've been reading that runners can give it to each other running past each other on the sidewalk...

Myself I've still been running but I'm wearing a mask when I do and sticking the roads around my neighborhood as opposed to any of the more popular spots. I run on side roads a lot as there's almost never a car these days to give wide birth of other runners and pedestrians...

However I still feel like I shouldn't be running at all...

April 5, 2020, 6:14 p.m.

I've been running low traffic trails on Seymour, and out of the way road routes, at off peak times.  It's been pretty easy to avoid the few people I encounter.  Definitely not going anywhere busy that you'd end up stuck behind, or in front of, people and not able to maneuver out of the way.