The Last 100 Days

Nov. 2, 2015, 11:32 a.m.

Back in July I was intrigued by an article of a person squatting for a 100 days in a row , and thought that maybe I could pull something like this off.

Being curious I thought about it for a few days and thought about possible scenarios - due to meniscus damage in my left knee squatting and deadlifting for a hundred days was out of the question.

And I knew that descpite my bike riding and my press and swing routines I was not really in as good a shape as could have been.

So on July 26 I started to train for a hundred days in a row, and today has been the last day.
I focused mainly on movements that were not really hard and taxing on the body, since I was scared that with surgery looming on the horizon I did not want to further damage the knee.

On some days all I could manage were multiple sets of push-ups, on others I was doing a little more.
Goal was to not drive my body into a wall, so that I could handle the challenge.

Remembering that strength might be a skill, and that while upping the volume there should be enough left to come back the next day I took it easy and left my ego literally at the door. Some days I did not feel like finishing that last set of military presses, on others I had to restrain myself from wanting to do more thanw as planned.

After surgery I focused on push-ups and pull-ups and chin-ups, and after that I did a classic beginner's split routine for the upper body.

Today I took out my calculator and took stock - some numbers really impress me, while I thought that other figures might be higher.

Push-ups 1,141

Goblet Squat with a controlled curl at the bottom
32 kb - 38
24 kb - 372
16 kb - 593

Clean and press
24 kb - 201
16 kb - 124

bottoms-up press
8 kb - 218 (left and right)
16 kb - 179 (left and right)

pull-ups
171 (a few sets were done with extra weight, either 2.5 or 5 kg)

chin-ups
128 (same as above, some with extra weight)

swings
24 kb - 945
16 kb - 745 (a few sets were one-arm swings)

Various other work sets of one-arm dumbbell rows, power cleans from hang, kb snatches with both 16 and 24 kb, db bench presses and Arnold presses, as well as various curls, french presses and pullovers.

What I found out was that along with focusing on clea technique the worst enemy is the mind, not the body. Some days I really had to force myself out into the garage.

I am pretty happy about it, since in the beginning I thought I might not be tough enough.

Question is, can I stop now, or continue to train very single day? At present I am on a daily diet of pull-ups/chin-ups and one-arm presses, five sets of either max reps, three reps or five reps, depending on the day, the plan and my mood.

There is no emotional buy-in to do it, just as heavy as my technique allows. And sometimes just light.

Has anyone of you guys done something similar? Feel free to share your thoughts, insights and stories.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 2, 2015, 3:08 p.m.

Haven't ever done anything like this, and to be honest I have been slacking at the gym this year. I'm averaging 1.5 days/week which is just enough to maintain strength on the core lifts and do some conditioning work. My old gym had a fantastic gym in the building so I would go at least 3x a week, new job/hours means I have to go home, eat, and go to the gym at 9pm at night which sucks (or on the weekends when I want to ride a bike or ski).

My take-away is that I need to buy some KB's to use at home, they are so versatile. Oh, I also need a garage so I don't have to train in my living room when it is raining.

Nov. 3, 2015, 4:19 a.m.

Haven't ever done anything like this, and to be honest I have been slacking at the gym this year. I'm averaging 1.5 days/week which is just enough to maintain strength on the core lifts and do some conditioning work. My old gym had a fantastic gym in the building so I would go at least 3x a week, new job/hours means I have to go home, eat, and go to the gym at 9pm at night which sucks (or on the weekends when I want to ride a bike or ski).

My take-away is that I need to buy some KB's to use at home, they are so versatile. Oh, I also need a garage so I don't have to train in my living room when it is raining.

I do not know if the kettlebells are really necessary, I like ballistic work, and I like their simplicity for all kinds of movements.

I think the only thing you'd really need would be a table to do some inverted rows, or a beam or pipe you could use for chin-ups.

There is lots of bodyweight stuff on the internet - you might want to check it out.

What I found was that there were times when I really had to force myself to even do a few sets of bodyweight squats and push-ups, I think it is more of a mind thing.

I just wanted to see how far I could go.

- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 3, 2015, 5:18 a.m.

Nice work!

Nov. 3, 2015, 11:05 a.m.

I do not know if the kettlebells are really necessary, I like ballistic work, and I like their simplicity for all kinds of movements.

I think the only thing you'd really need would be a table to do some inverted rows, or a beam or pipe you could use for chin-ups.

There is lots of bodyweight stuff on the internet - you might want to check it out.

What I found was that there were times when I really had to force myself to even do a few sets of bodyweight squats and push-ups, I think it is more of a mind thing.

I just wanted to see how far I could go.

Tried doing the 30 days of deadlift. But got derailed due to being sick for 5 days.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 3, 2015, 11:19 a.m.

Tried doing the 30 days of deadlift. But got derailed due to being sick for 5 days.

Just try it again! And if necessary again, and again.

I had a few cases of allergic reactions when I needed to take Cortison and rest, but I just did not give in.

I think unless it had been flu along with some complimentary throwing up and diarrhoe, I would have dragged myself out, even for a few sets of light barbell rows.

Cranking out the few reps and sets of pushups and one legged deadlift movement pattern with the healthy leg the evening after surgery is not necessarily something I would call "fun".

Just try it again, enduramil. You will feel awesome when you do your last rep of the very last set.

- Kristen Ulmer