Sulphites

May 18, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

Anyone else have an allergy to sulphites? I ordered 50 food test strips from a lab after reacting to an imported pineapple last week. It must have been heavily sprayed. If you're interested in what the test strip results are, let me know. I'm debating posting a spreadsheet online or something like that.

May 18, 2014, 12:36 p.m.

Anyone else have an allergy to sulphites? I ordered 50 food test strips from a lab after reacting to an imported pineapple last week. It must have been heavily sprayed. If you're interested in what the test strip results are, let me know. I'm debating posting a spreadsheet online or something like that.

What was the reaction like? Did you need medical assistance, medicine, etc.?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 18, 2014, 2:54 p.m.

I get really puffy over my whole body and if it's bad then my face breaks out in hives and I need Benedryl. The first time I had a reaction, I ended up with an IV drip of Benedryl. Holy crap does it make you stoned when they give it to you like that!! I've never had to use an epipen, but I carry one now (though they contain sulphites too so I am scared of actually using it..apparently it's better than doing nothing..) People can react differently. Common reactions are hives, rashes, joint pain, GI problems. Sulphite allergy isn't a true allergy, because it is dose related (the more you ingest, the worse you react) and true allergies usually cause a reaction regardless of dose.

Sulphite allergy is now on health Canada's top 10 allergen list. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people that say they feel better when they go gluten free are actually allergic to sulphites, not gluten.

Anyways.. If anyone is interested in the test strip results, I'm hoping it's going to be good info. The strips are supposed to show how much Sulphite is present, not just that it's there.

May 18, 2014, 7:06 p.m.

do you drink wine there are a lot of sulphites in wine which you can get away from by making your own ubrew wine

May 18, 2014, 10:40 p.m.

do you drink wine there are a lot of sulphites in wine which you can get away from by making your own ubrew wine

non sulphite wines are widely available. check the label or goggle that shit.

Pastor of Muppets

May 19, 2014, 12:21 a.m.

No wine. I haven't been able to find any that are safe (though would love to know if you know of a brand..). Even just fresh grapes aren't usually safe - they're usually both sprayed and have naturally occurring sulphites.

Don't miss it enough to ubrew.

May 19, 2014, 3:27 a.m.

I get really puffy over my whole body and if it's bad then my face breaks out in hives and I need Benedryl. The first time I had a reaction, I ended up with an IV drip of Benedryl. Holy crap does it make you stoned when they give it to you like that!! I've never had to use an epipen, but I carry one now (though they contain sulphites too so I am scared of actually using it..apparently it's better than doing nothing..) People can react differently. Common reactions are hives, rashes, joint pain, GI problems. Sulphite allergy isn't a true allergy, because it is dose related (the more you ingest, the worse you react) and true allergies usually cause a reaction regardless of dose.

Sulphite allergy is now on health Canada's top 10 allergen list. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people that say they feel better when they go gluten free are actually allergic to sulphites, not gluten.

Anyways.. If anyone is interested in the test strip results, I'm hoping it's going to be good info. The strips are supposed to show how much Sulphite is present, not just that it's there.

Thanks for the reply. A few weeks ago we had this season's first strawberries, the following few days were not fun, to say the least. And they are sprayed heavily with stuff.
Since I am not allergic to strawberries from our garden, I thought that the chemicals may have caused the reaction. I am not allergic to sulphite in wines, though.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 19, 2014, 7:52 a.m.

one of my buds would get headaches from drinking moderate amounts of commercial wine but not the stuff we made from the high end u-brew kits which have much less sulphites

May 19, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

Sulphites are not always in wine. They must be labeled if contained. They are not sprayed but added to vats after crushing.
Sulphites are added as a cheater aid to wine to speed up the aging process but are not necessary.
Organic wines are "safe"
Also wine especially red wine contains tyramines which are related to histamines which can cause allergic type reactions for some people, Less tannic and white wines have less. Its the heavy reads which are loaded with tyramines.

May 19, 2014, 9:18 a.m.

I don't think organic ones are safe - the label on the few I've looked at say they contain sulphites, the same as the others. The sulphites are added to stop fermentation. And I have heard there's at least 2 brands available that are sulphite free.. But I just don't miss wine enough to put much effort into finding them.

The allergic reaction is dose related. So you could in theory not have a noticeable reaction to one thing and do really poorly with something else.

That said, fruit and vegetables meant for raw consumption coming from the US or Canada will not be sprayed, and strawberries are coming from California right now, so probably not sulphites.

May 19, 2014, 10 a.m.

I don't think organic ones are safe - the label on the few I've looked at say they contain sulphites, the same as the others. The sulphites are added to stop fermentation. And I have heard there's at least 2 brands available that are sulphite free.. But I just don't miss wine enough to put much effort into finding them.

The allergic reaction is dose related. So you could in theory not have a noticeable reaction to one thing and do really poorly with something else.

That said, fruit and vegetables meant for raw consumption coming from the US or Canada will not be sprayed, and strawberries are coming from California right now, so probably not sulphites.

You're just going to have to keep getting blueberries from Patty's dad, they are a no spray farm.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

May 19, 2014, 12:09 p.m.

You're just going to have to keep getting blueberries from Patty's dad, they are a no spray farm.

Mmmmmmmmm boxes of blueberries… :-)

May 19, 2014, 12:29 p.m.

Wine never used to have sulphites. It is not necessary and supposed to be labelled as containing it.
it is purely a $$ issue to produce more wine faster with a more aged taste at the end.

May 19, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

Wine never used to have sulphites. It is not necessary and supposed to be labelled as containing it.
it is purely a $$ issue to produce more wine faster with a more aged taste at the end.

Sulphur is added to wine as a preservative, or sometimes to stop the ferment. As for not being in wine in the past, I think it's more likely to have just not been on the label. Before suphur dioxide was common they just burnt sulphur in a shed with the grapes stacked up in there… Same goes for dried fruits.

Regardless it will be tough to get sulphur free wine.

May 24, 2014, 11:14 a.m.

you can make kit wines with much less sulphates than commercial wines, the best whites aren't too bad and end up costing [HTML_REMOVED]5$ a bottle, I don't make reds anymore cuz they need too much aging whereas whites can taste pretty good right away