Sugar after workouts

April 28, 2016, 12:52 p.m.

I had a strong couple of days off on the road bike and a pretty hefty workout included as well. Nearly 3k calories (according to strava) plus whatever the weights/pool/knee rehab exercise burnt. By the evening I was feeling ok but just craving sugar. Was stuffed after eating pizza so wasn't just straight up hungry

I'm not so worried by the actual intake of the calories, just know eating a tub of ice cream and a bag of kit kats bites isn't ideal way to re-up calories and isnt good for overall health.

Is it just my body crying out for cheap calories, if so is there a better way to handle it?

April 28, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

My suggestions for post-workout cravings would be along the line of smoothies/shakes (easy to get down calories in quantity) or a big bowl of muesli (or granola) with fruit/yogurt. Even a peanut butter/banana sandwich. Snack on dates/dried fruit and nuts. Always have a big bag of frozen fruit in the freezer.

Try to get more protein down, so you feel more satiated.

The junk food will certainly fill the calorie hole, but there is much better nutrition to be had. Also, IME it is normal (and OK) to crave that 4th meal (snack) of the day, after a big multi-hour ride. Just focus on fueling with food that contains good nutrition, not empty calories.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 28, 2016, 8:36 p.m.

I ride 4-6 hours a day, usually 60-100km on a 120lb bike.

I'm drinking about 2L a day of Coca-Cola right now and I'm down 30kg.

Fuck smoothies.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

April 28, 2016, 8:52 p.m.

I had a strong couple of days off on the road bike and a pretty hefty workout included as well. Nearly 3k calories (according to strava) plus whatever the weights/pool/knee rehab exercise burnt. By the evening I was feeling ok but just craving sugar. Was stuffed after eating pizza so wasn't just straight up hungry

I'm not so worried by the actual intake of the calories, just know eating a tub of ice cream and a bag of kit kats bites isn't ideal way to re-up calories and isnt good for overall health.

Is it just my body crying out for cheap calories, if so is there a better way to handle it?

What you need to be concerned about is insulin resistance. If you consume a lot of quickly digested sugar you're on the fast path to diabetes.

That said, studies show that combining quickly digested sugars with protein after working out you can get some extra benefit (how much is up for debate). You can go as simple as chocolate milk.

April 28, 2016, 10:22 p.m.

it is normal (and OK) to crave that 4th meal (snack) of the day, after a big multi-hour ride.

What?! I have eaten 4 meals by 3pm and I eat at least two more before bed!

Nothing wrong with quick digesting sugars after exercise but add good protein into the mix too. Your muscles need to recover and having the carbs and protein soon after a workout is likely the best time to load up. But, candy is likely best avoided if your refueling consists of downing 4 chunky kitkats!

April 28, 2016, 11:53 p.m.

Junk food is fine as a treat but you get hooked on the taste and easy calories. What happens when your activity level drops down? Can you really flick the switch and stop eating junk when you are in a less active phase and burning significantly fewer calories? Not everyone can switch off like that.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 29, 2016, 12:15 a.m.

Flooding your system with glucose causes your blood sugar to spike, can play havoc with your body's insulin levels and can cause a cascade of hormonal effects in your body. Or so research seems to indicate. Insulin is just one component of your body's endocrine/hormone blood sugar regulation system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar_regulation#Hormones_that_influence_blood_glucose_level

Concentrated sources of glucose, which we now consume in large quantities, are actually quite rare in nature. Honey (not exactly common itself) is probably the closest natural equivalent. Other sources, such as fruits, were almost never as sweet in their wild state as they are after many generations of selective breeding by humans. We seem to be biologically programmed to seek out sources of sugar.

The repeated effect of sudden raising blood sugar levels and reaction by the body's regulation response of lowering blood sugar may cause health issues over the long term.

April 29, 2016, 7:49 a.m.

What you need to be concerned about is insulin resistance. If you consume a lot of quickly digested sugar you're on the fast path to diabetes.

That said, studies show that combining quickly digested sugars with protein after working out you can get some extra benefit (how much is up for debate). You can go as simple as chocolate milk.

I sometimes get 1 L natrel dark chocolate organic milk as a treat after riding. It is incredibly tasty, regular chocolate milk not even in the same realm of taste. Plus the extra dark chocolate has a lot more iron and minerals.

April 29, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

I usually get the sugar munchies after working physically all day or going for a long ride. Best trick for me is to eat a high-fat snack (sometimes even a couple tablespoons of coconut oil)..satiates the cravings.

I have no idea if this is a safe practice or even a good idea, maybe someone on here can give their opinion?

April 29, 2016, 9:06 a.m.

Yeah the diabetes stuff is definitely somthing that concerns me, hence why I posted this. I'm sure its not great for your teeth either.

In retrospect, I should have eaten a meal before heading out of the house for dinner, but was super rushed.

April 29, 2016, 10:05 a.m.

Yeah, I assumed nortonwhis was aware of the health aspects, hence asking for healthy alternatives.

Other suggestions: Chia seed (chocolate) pudding, baked berry oatmeal (super tasty and easy to make ahead), frozen banana ice cream.

April 29, 2016, 10:40 a.m.

Right now all you are doing is tasting sugar so do your self a flavor, give up all added sugar including honey completely to find out what food actualy tastes like, so the less sugar you eat the less sugar you will want to eat and of course the more sugar you eat the more you wana eat

Pick food types with lower sugar so when you look at the white labels on a shelf of food at the super market pick the lowest sugar levels of a food type that you will actualy eat.

Give up some foods completely the empty foods like coke, candy, anything that is all sugar, cut carbs

eat protein becuz it satisfys, I always eat the protein breakfasts for fuel, cereal I eat at night which is museli and 6% yogurt in the morning … your asshole will love you

I'm type II diabetic, no insulin but I get monitored lots, eating like this^^ my a1c went down 2 points, good cholesterol went up bad cholesterol went down, I dropped 15-20lbs altho part of that was cutting portions and my doctor loves me

maybe you are a young fuck and kinda ok for now but for how long cuz as you get older late onset type II is a problem … that and fat

April 29, 2016, 2:06 p.m.

I usually get the sugar munchies after working physically all day or going for a long ride. Best trick for me is to eat a high-fat snack (sometimes even a couple tablespoons of coconut oil)..satiates the cravings.

I have no idea if this is a safe practice or even a good idea, maybe someone on here can give their opinion?

Rule of thumb … anything in moderation generally is fine. Enjoy life while making some effort to make as much fresh, unprocessed food a part of you diet. You will probably save some money on groceries too.

May 6, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

Beer. /

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 6, 2016, 10:02 p.m.

Another tip is to have your healthy snack/treat made and ready in advance, so you don't reach for the garbage first.