Sugar after workouts

May 8, 2016, 9:50 a.m.

some nice answers here wrt post-workout meals!

there is nothing wrong with carbs…but not all carbs are made equal! junk is junk and eventually that catches up with you. it's ok in a pinch once in awhile but as sarensho mentioned, going from super low to super high blood sugar can lead to diabetes by messing with your hormone/insulin system. the impact of a complex carb vs a single sugar is significant.

i study nutrition and am an avid runner/cycler. my approach is usually:
night before: meal based on complex carbs (yams, whole grains and starchy and non-starchy veg) with easily digest lean protein (fish or small amount lean chicken/beef cuts)
morning of (mix complex and simple carbs, protein and fats): smoothie with lots of frozen berries, banana, avocado, whey protein, hemp seeds, turmeric, ginger etc
during ride/run: simpler carbs - figs, dates, other dried fruit and if it's a long day nuts, lara bars or a few chews.
1-2h after: mix protein and simple carbs
night meal: protein and complex carbs and some good fats - probably also a treat! this is the time to eat it!

i've found as my training level increases i crave sugars more and if i don't eat the good ones i resort to junk! so i up my fruit snacks during the week and complex carbs in general.

May 8, 2016, 11:20 a.m.

i've found as my training level increases i crave sugars more and if i don't eat the good ones i resort to junk! so i up my fruit snacks during the week and complex carbs in general.

This is key to me. I need to have more fruit lying around.

After the last few big days (since my initial post) i have been eating a bunch of leftover lentils/chcikpeas as a quick snack. Just a bunch of each tossed together with some feta cheese, mayo, lots of valentina hot sauce and pepper. Tastes better than it sounds and seems to keep me full till i get a real meal. Would probably be even better with some avocado crushed into it to.

June 28, 2016, 7:33 a.m.

even better if it's fruit though because of the added fiber and vitamins/minerals. and don't forget complex carbs are also awesome…sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, whole grains.
:D