Stretching Questions

Nov. 25, 2013, 11:26 a.m.

What are some good stretches for your hips. I have continued problem with being able to become flexible in the hip area. I used to be able to almost do the splits, now part way down it is like my hips lock up. Every time (which is not often) I go for a message they comment that I am super tight in the outer quad area (sorry don't know the proper muscle name), but I just can seem to stretch it out. Any suggested stretches?

Nov. 25, 2013, 11:48 a.m.

Good question!

sit down somewhere where you can have good straight posture and have feet resting on ground, then put one foot on top of a knee and then lean forwards. You should feel a good stretch in your hips.

Another way is to do this while laying on your back - bring a knee up to form a right angle and put other foot on top of knee. Pull that leg back towards you. You should feel a good hip stretch.

Nov. 25, 2013, 11:51 a.m.

Yoga.

Nov. 25, 2013, noon

Good question!

sit down somewhere where you can have good straight posture and have feet resting on ground, then put one foot on top of a knee and then lean forwards. You should feel a good stretch in your hips.

Just to clarify sitting in a chair or on the ground?

Nov. 25, 2013, 12:02 p.m.

Yoga.

Yes been thinking about Yoga. Never really having done Yoga where is the best place to start? What type, main goal is flexibility and agility. Are the Rec-centre courses ok, or do you need to go to a studio?

Nov. 25, 2013, 12:07 p.m.

Every time (which is not often) I go for a message they comment that I am super tight in the outer quad area (sorry don't know the proper muscle name), but I just can seem to stretch it out.

You sure it's not the IT band? Knowing exactly what area is tight would go a long way toward recommending specific stretches.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 25, 2013, 12:18 p.m.

You sure it's not the IT band? Knowing exactly what area is tight would go a long way toward recommending specific stretches.

Quick look on the internet, could be this although I do not really have knee pain other than minor stiffness after playing hockey. Most of the discomfort is on the outside of the hip (where your hip dents in when you are standing straight) and down the upper 4 to 6 inches of the outside of my upper leg.

Nov. 25, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

Quick look on the internet, could be this although I do not really have knee pain other than minor stiffness after playing hockey. Most of the discomfort is on the outside of the hip (where your hip dents in when you are standing straight) and down the upper 4 to 6 inches of the outside of my upper leg.

Tensor fasciae latae (TFL)? You could try rolling or look up TFL stretches. See if that hits the spot.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 25, 2013, 2:02 p.m.

Yes been thinking about Yoga. Never really having done Yoga where is the best place to start? What type, main goal is flexibility and agility. Are the Rec-centre courses ok, or do you need to go to a studio?

Try Iyengar

Find an older instructor - they tend to have more "life experience" and will provide more detailed instructions as to the proper way to move into the various poses.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 25, 2013, 2:09 p.m.

You could try a book … obviously a good instructor is better, but if you're on the fence, broke or not that motivated this may be a worthwhile investment (plus YouTube videos if you want to sample opinions/options):

Nov. 25, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

What are some good stretches for your hips. I have continued problem with being able to become flexible in the hip area. I used to be able to almost do the splits, now part way down it is like my hips lock up. Every time (which is not often) I go for a message they comment that I am super tight in the outer quad area (sorry don't know the proper muscle name), but I just can seem to stretch it out. Any suggested stretches?

I do this mobility exercise before working out. I pause on the spiderman walk portion of it to get my psoas's extra as I sit a lot for work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W50Jsyc80SA

Nov. 25, 2013, 8:07 p.m.

If you can find somewhere that offers the primary series of ashtanga yoga, that will do your whole body wonders. If you have a mat or some blocks at home, lay down on your back with your legs bent so your feet palm touch. This makes a diamond shape with your legs. Qplace blocks under your knees and relax for up to five minutes.
Google the following poses
Pidgeon pose
Frog pose
Eagle pose
These are all great for hip opening.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Nov. 25, 2013, 8:26 p.m.

deadlifts, posterior chain exercises. Many "hip flexibility" issues are due to muscle imbalances. Weak hamstrings/glutes forces the quads to tighten up to compensate. I haven't stretched for years, but have focused the last three years on balanced exercises with full range of motion and I have never been more flexible.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Nov. 26, 2013, 11:57 a.m.

One important thing is to never forget "both sides" of the joints, etc. In the long run it is not enough to simply stretch the inner thigh, for example and totally neglect the other, outer side of the hip joint. Actually, while I think of it…the hip is a rather complex joint and needs a proper all around approach.

And the hip is connected to the knees and then you should pay attention to the lower back and the abdominal area as well, since no joint does exist in isolation.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 27, 2013, 7:32 a.m.

I do the core classes and they have helped alot with sore lower back which seemes to be more prevelant lately

A local studio has Man yoga AKA Bro-ga I was thinking of checking it out