strength training discussion thread

March 9, 2016, 9:12 p.m.

My biggest came from training with bigger and stronger lifters , who where committed to lifting . Same goes for riding I get better from riding with better fitter riders who are willing to commit .

Fantastic.

So where are we at?

500 is impossible without being 300 pounds and juiced? Or totally possible if that's what your goal is?

March 9, 2016, 9:14 p.m.

My biggest gains came when I dropped to three days a week.

scheduling is one of those things that can take a lot of experimentation to get right, i've tried three days a week before and had the opposite results - mu numbers started to go down. this kind of this reinforces the importance of having a good coach or training partner who can help people develop a training schedule that works well for them.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 9, 2016, 9:19 p.m.

I never touched any drugs when I lifted , and I trained up to 6 days a week for years training more for strength than size . My best was just over 400lbs and it took years and years of adding 5 lbs at a time to increase my weight . Best bench was just over 320lbs and dead lift was similar , and I was at a body weight of 170lbs .

The strongest person I lifted with was Guy Greavette he was clean at the time and tested regularly during competitions and was truly the strongest lifter I have seen in person . Dude squatted so often he had a huge thick callus on his neck and his rear delts from the bar .

the strongest person i've trained with is bob hindley. 600lb pull at 170, squat was close to that as well. his son who is 24 and has a slighter build than him is already pulling 500lbs. sure, there's probably a genetic gift there somewhere, but knowing bob and the intnesity he trains with there's no doubt that's been imparted to his son who started lifting at a younger age and will no doubt surpass his dad on his totals. same thing for guy as you probably know, how dad was a major influence over his training and his drive to succeed.

the mind is the single biggest factor in training success for any sport.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 9, 2016, 9:20 p.m.

Fantastic.

So where are we at?

500 is impossible without being 300 pounds and juiced? Or totally possible if that's what your goal is?

with the right build and training and equipment it can be done , seen some short guys push some pretty impressive weight around without any sauce .

and with the equipment comment I refer to a high quality bar , weights and locks , super flexy bars with rattling plates won,t help .

buy yeah it can be done in a all natural condition .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 9, 2016, 9:30 p.m.

the strongest person i've trained with is bob hindley. 600lb pull at 170, squat was close to that as well. his son who is 24 and has a slighter build than him is already pulling 500lbs. sure, there's probably a genetic gift there somewhere, but knowing bob and the intnesity he trains with there's no doubt that's been imparted to his son who started lifting at a younger age and will no doubt surpass his dad on his totals. same thing for guy as you probably know, how dad was a major influence over his training and his drive to succeed.

the mind is the single biggest factor in training success for any sport.

the right crew and support does huge for people , Guy's Father was a huge part of who he was and how he got to that level .

as for training my bests came from hitting legs every 3rd or 4th day , week in week out , crazy as it sounds I loved leg day .

changing the routine helped a lot as well some days 10 x 10 for legs other singles and doubles x 10 .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 9, 2016, 9:42 p.m.

here's another lifter to watch, adam ramzy, the guy is only 24 i think and is putting up HUGE numbers in the 83kg class (183lbs). these numbers are from the commonwealth power lifting championships held in richmond this past dec where he competed as an equipped lifter.

squat - 744
dead lift - 700
bench - 529
total - 1973 lbs

Ellen Langer

March 9, 2016, 9:44 p.m.

crazy as it sounds I loved leg day

that's my fav day at the gym too.

Ellen Langer

March 9, 2016, 9:49 p.m.

Science has proved deadlift day is better by 20%.

March 9, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

Science has proved deadlift day is better by 20%.

actually it's worse by about 50% as you only have to do about half the work.

Ellen Langer

March 9, 2016, 10:02 p.m.

actually it's worse by about 50% as you only have to do about half the work.

Funny that… that beast who I mentioned that triples 595 with ease uses wrist straps on a sumo that I've never seen above 12 plates.

As someone who has always trained alone, the scariest place for me is deep in the hole on my max for a squat.

March 9, 2016, 10:09 p.m.

Funny that… that beast who I mentioned that triples 595 with ease uses wrist straps on a sumo that I've never seen above 12 plates.

As someone who has always trained alone, the scariest place for me is deep in the hole on my max for a squat.

yeah i used to worry about that too, even in a cage. but, i got comfortable with dumping the bar at the bottom if need be and also know in the hole if i'm going to make it to the top or not. at this point i pretty much know on my first warm-up set how the rest of the workout is going to go.

Ellen Langer

March 9, 2016, 10:21 p.m.

yeah i used to worry about that too, even in a cage. but, i got comfortable with dumping the bar at the bottom if need be and also know in the hole if i'm going to make it to the top or not. at this point i pretty much know on my first warm-up set how the rest of the workout is going to go.

Something I've taken to heart from the big dogs is to never miss a press/squat/pull in training… it's been a couple years since I've failed and I think they're onto something.

I suspect if I were planning to compete it'd hold me back a little bit, but as a gym rat it's served me well.

Of course, now I'm afraid of missing the weight I know I won't miss…

March 9, 2016, 11:04 p.m.

Something I've taken to heart from the big dogs is to never miss a press/squat/pull in training… it's been a couple years since I've failed and I think they're onto something.

I suspect if I were planning to compete it'd hold me back a little bit, but as a gym rat it's served me well.

Of course, now I'm afraid of missing the weight I know I won't miss…

yup, i've heard that a lot too - leave the misses for the platform. i'm a big proponent of leaving something in the tank the majority of the time and every once in a while go for broke. the flip side of always playing it safe then you never push your boundaries and that will hold you baca a bit. i don't mind failing, as pushing those limits has resulted in way more successes than failures. i look at failing/missing as a step to higher achievment.

Ellen Langer

March 10, 2016, 10:08 a.m.

It really isn't… the biggest thing holding you back is mental.

Imagine the craziest thing you've seen in person done on a mountain bike… you aren't that far away from that either.

The thing about strength training, there are no trips to the hospital if you do it right. You can't not get strong if you put the effort in, and it really is "free" relative to extreme sports.

If you want a 500 pound squat, let me know… I want a 600 pound deadlift and if I didn't injure myself all the time (falling down mountains) I'm certain I'd be there right now… As it stands, I'm not too far away.

Now if you want to be HUUUUUGE, the last thing you want is a 500 pound squat… you can be tiny and still bust that weight.

Yeah I guess so…I'm pretty new to lifting weights so getting to where I'm at now should be an indication that I can go further.

No interest in getting Heeee-Yooooj, just cut.

I'm using the Stronglifts 5x5 app / program thingy: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ But I'd like to learn some more and introduce some stuff between days I do those weights. (kettle ball? pull ups?). I cycle in and out of work daily (13.5 km each way) and run a couple days a week along with the odd Mt bike ride so cardio is there too.

NBR decide my workout!

viperfunk.com

March 10, 2016, 5:51 p.m.

Getting cut is all about diet and high intensity training… hill sprints, various flavours of tabata workouts, etc.

Moving weights is either about growing more muscle or getting stronger (or some gradient in between).

In my opinion, strength is an essential component to long term health, and something like Stronglifts is a great program for that… it's just that without some goals that have real interest, it'll just get harder and harder to drag your ass into the gym.

I suggest you keep on keepin on.