strength training discussion thread

Feb. 3, 2016, 6:57 p.m.

kettle swings even once a week I noticed helped with my riding and my endurance when climbing and out of saddle pedaling and posturing . core training and stretching helped lots , speaking of which I gotta get off my ass and get in shape

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 3, 2016, 7:12 p.m.

kettle swings even once a week I noticed helped with my riding and my endurance when climbing and out of saddle pedaling and posturing . core training and stretching helped lots , speaking of which I gotta get off my ass and get in shape

Swings are great for the back too.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 8, 2016, 6:22 a.m.

I dug into training for mountain runners and alpinists the last few days, and I definitely incorporate step ups and calf raises into my strength routine on my non-running days.

Start with 3 easy to moderate sets of 5 to get my body used to the movement of the step up, and try probably 3 x 10 reps of the calf raises per side.

As for the height of the step up, I think I play it on the safe side, mid-shin high, I think. Havind had surgery on one knee is enough for me in this lifetime, better safe than sorry.

I keep the weight either in my hands, suitcase-like, or in front of me, a la Dan John's Goblet squat. At present I can imagine that a barbell would place the moving center of mass pretty high, which could result in a more difficult movement. I want to learn and pattern the proper technique and a fluid and graceful movement first.

Adding swings, bottoms-up presses and hammer curls should be enough.

Movement furst, and then jn a few weeks ramp up the intensity.

Experimenting a little as to what works and what does not, I think.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 8, 2016, 8:05 a.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/transform-your-riding-four-off-season-exercises-2016.html

so who's hopping on board to try these MTB exercises .

was hoping to start my stretching and core training again this week but after some trail side yoga while out for a ride yesterday that has been pushed back till I recover .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 8, 2016, 8:39 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/transform-your-riding-four-off-season-exercises-2016.html

I have my own off-the-bike training regimen:

Feb. 18, 2016, 8:55 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/n1no-the-hunt-for-glory-hittin-the-gym-with-the-champ-2016.html

some serious balance and core work here

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 3, 2016, 4:20 p.m.

Ok Gods of Iron, riddle me this.

I've been doing barbell good mornings for the last few weeks in an attempt to switch it up with my back and legs, and as an assistance exercise for the C[HTML_REMOVED]J and snatch. I'm finding that when I get down to 90 degrees, the bar tends to slide towards my neck, so I keep it steady with my arms. The problem is that I can't get much heavier than 135lbs with this method as more weight can't be controlled with my arms. I'm faced with either not going as deep into the hip bend, or sticking with 135lbs. I feel like I could go much heavier, but how do I do this while keeping my neck safe? Just accept the limited ROM? For the record I rack the bar as though for a low bar squat.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 3, 2016, 4:29 p.m.

Don't go to 90… at least I never do.

March 3, 2016, 4:31 p.m.

FWIW, I do high bar good mornings.

March 3, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

tbh, good mornings are not an exercise i've ever been a fan of due to the higher levels of stress on the low back area. if people do use them though i make the same suggestion as Reductimat to not hit 90 and only go as low as you can maintain neutral spinal alignment.

Feral, you say you're doing GM's as an assistance exercise, but to what end exactly? are you trying to strengthen a weak spot in one of your O-lifts or is this simply filling a space in your routine? what is your main training goal?

when i did my O-lifting club coach last year and we talked about assistance exercises the focus was on movements that helped to address any weak spots in one's big lifts. most of these consisted of breaking down the big lifts into smaller component lifts such as a snatch pulls and hang cleans or doing variations of a lift such as a power clean.

these pages link to a whole host of assistance exercises for the O-lifts and have great explanations as to their benefits

http://www.catalystathletics.com/article/1891/Top-5-Assistance-Exercises-for-the-Clean/

http://www.catalystathletics.com/article/1886/Top-5-Assistance-Exercises-for-the-Jerk/

http://www.catalystathletics.com/article/1900/Top-5-Assistance-Exercises-for-the-Snatch/

one other exercise that i've found helps to "correct" a whole host of problems with the big lifts is overhead squats where the bar is held in the snatch grip above the head the whole time. use lighter weights and more depth than a normal squat which most people have to work up to a bit.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 3, 2016, 8:18 p.m.

I'd love to do overhead squats, but my problem is that my garage only has an 8' ceiling, and being that I'm about 6'4" tall, I can't do the jerk or the snatch or really anything overhead unless I'm sitting. It's not ideal but it's my gym and I have almost everything I need, and no one yells at me if I do curls in the squat rack. I also already squat as low as I can, almost ass to grass but due to an old ankle injury I have had to modify my stance to be wider with my toes pointing out more.

Basically I want to get stronger and get back into shape, and eventually I'd like to hit 500 in the squat and deadlift (following 5/3/1 right now after a bit of a hiatus where I was following one of Greg Everett's oly lifting programs, when I had a 10' ceiling in my old garage). Eventually I'd like to get back into oly lifting, and having good strength will help that. I've also had back issues in the past, and I find that working the hamstrings, lower back, and hips keeps that at bay. The GM is an exercise that sucks, but I like how it makes me feel at the end of the day. Plus I had a gap in my program.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 3, 2016, 9:12 p.m.

Are you doing GMs on DL day? If you're jonesing for some posterior chain work, hip thrusters are pretty fucking awesome. If you haven't done them before, get a pad to put between your hips and the bar, and keep going up in weight. 135 is as hard as 405… It's a weird one. Also, if you can find a way to do Glute-Ham raises… Those fuckers kill me.

March 3, 2016, 10:19 p.m.

dumbbell stiff leg dead lifts are a killer hamstring work out , squeeze the glutes the whole time as well , used to stand on a 12" high box and lower as far as you can don,t need huge weight either

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 4, 2016, 12:15 a.m.

Hi guys,

I have a biceps tendonitis, left shoulder, the weak shoulder.

Do you guys have any idea how to "work around" the issue?

I have done too many chin-ups, pull-ups and other stuff like db flyes that my left shoulder and biceps was not ready for.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 4, 2016, 8:22 a.m.

Granted I only play a doctor on TV, but I'm pretty sure all you can do is rest the thing.