squatting

June 24, 2015, 6:57 p.m.

i'm not saying to use a rocker squat in place of a heavy squat but as a supplemental exercise that could be trained with some decent weight. for example, depending on how on'es training program is set up you could do rocker squats on your light day or as a secondary exeericse on your heavy leg day after your squats have already been done. as for load limits i wouldn't sugget using 650+ pounds on most of the boards out there but i'm sure you could build one that could handle that kind of load.

The only thing that has helped me get a heavier squat was squatting heavy, and I believe I've tried most things.

Even front squats never gave me any carry-over when shit got heavy… that said, I never put the effort in to get a 315 fs.

June 24, 2015, 7:17 p.m.

it took me several years to get into the high 300lb low 400lb range for singles and doubles on heavy days . for me the biggest help was training with other lifters who where stronger . i trained 3 to 4 days a week with 3 to 4 other lifters i was the smallest of the group , i was in the high 160lb to low 170lb range .

one of the group who we trained with a few times a month was a true Olympic weight lifter , was on Team Canada and was in Seoul , when old Ben got nailed for roids after setting a record in the 100m . having the opportunity to train with and watch someone at that level lift was very inspiring and definitely helped me reach higher weights .

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 24, 2015, 9:51 p.m.

The only thing that has helped me get a heavier squat was squatting heavy, and I believe I've tried most things.

Even front squats never gave me any carry-over when shit got heavy… that said, I never put the effort in to get a 315 fs.

well front squats are an entirely different animal from back squats so the carry over is not overly significant.

the rocker squat helps you develop a "tighter" squat, more stable. that won't directly add pounds to your back squat, but it will help you to train more efficiently which will allow you to add more weight.

weakest link in the the chain.

for most people, and really i would say all people, the weak point on their squat is not their leg strength but their technique inefficiencies and their hip/core strength which affects their stability.

it's the same idea as building a stronger back to help improve your bench press, a stronger more stable platform to push from ultimately allows you to lift more weight. when doing any lifiting, but especially the big lifts, you have to think of your body as a system that works cohesively, not a collection of parts that do individual jobs.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 24, 2015, 9:53 p.m.

and to be honest here, while productive i think this discussion has gone beyond what the op is looking for. i get the impression that he is not worried about squatting 400lbs, but improving his squat to help boost his performance in the other activities he does. in that type of situation, all out squat strength should not be the training goal.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 24, 2015, 9:56 p.m.

and to be honest here, while productive i think this discussion has gone beyond what the op is looking for. i get the impression that he is not worried about squatting 400lbs, but improving his squat to help boost his performance in the other activities he does. in that type of situation, all out squat strength should not be the training goal.

Yep, which is why I asked this..

I've done all sorts of shit besides FS too. The only stupid looking thing that really works for me besides the big lifts are hip-thrusts.

June 24, 2015, 10:15 p.m.

Yep, which is why I asked this..

I've done all sorts of shit besides FS too. The only stupid looking thing that really works for me besides the big lifts are hip-thrusts.

ya, and that also happens to be why the op may find some benefit in a rocker squat. the reason the hip thrusts are working is because they are addressing a weak point in your squat. and that's kind of the point, one needs to try these things to see if they will help. some will, and some won't, but you won't know until you try.

i've had a nagging back issue for about the past year and a half and haven't really squatted at all in the time - a handful of times at 1 wheel or a wheel and a quarter. but 3 weeks in to squatting again and i can hit 315 for 5's with no doms. that's a big jump for that long of a layoff. why? because i've been doing heavy step-ups instead. it's a very different movement, much more like a front squat in terms of mechanics but obviously the crossover benefit is there. people need to accept that there are general rules and guidelines for training in the gym, but there is so much variability with people that to automatically disregard something (within reason of course) as useless or providing zero benefit is folly. until you try something you can't know for sure how much benefit you're going to get from it.

Ellen Langer

June 24, 2015, 10:54 p.m.

what i do like about this forum is that if you mention squats or deadlifts, you are sure to get a lot of action!

June 28, 2015, 2:03 a.m.

I agree. Not to mention highly detailed and inspirational input from folks who know a few things about serious lifting.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 30, 2015, 1:41 p.m.

I squatted today.

June 30, 2015, 4:47 p.m.

I squat tomorrow.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 30, 2015, 4:54 p.m.

today I squatted on a wobble board with my body weight. only a quarter squat but it felt like a win.

July 4, 2015, 9:08 a.m.

Anyone so the "squat everyday" program for a month or two? Any results out improvements to share?

July 4, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

Anyone so the "squat everyday" program for a month or two? Any results out improvements to share?

i've been thinking about it and could fit it in to my schedule as i'm at the gym 6 days a week. for the off day i could just do pistol squats at home. the drawback though is i've just gotten into the O-lifitng and would see fatigue being an issue trying to fit all that lifting in and riding the bike and working lots of hours. imo if you knew getting a good amount of sleep on a nightly basis wold not be a problem then it could be worth a try.

Ellen Langer

July 4, 2015, 10:10 p.m.

Wait a minute wft would he go heavy if'n he wants strong on bike not strong like bull?

Wouldn't higher reps w/no more than say body weight give strenge w/o bulking up ubless he wanna' be like…..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 4, 2015, 10:15 p.m.

Wait a minute wft would he go heavy if'n he wants strong on bike not strong like bull?

Wouldn't higher reps w/no more than say body weight give strenge w/o bulking up ubless he wanna' be like…..

Testosterone is a helluva drug.