Skate skiing

Dec. 28, 2017, 10:55 a.m.

After a 15year hiatus I'm getting back in to skate skiing. The snow on the trails is pushing me to do this; I love being in the forest and am looking to improve my fitness over the winter and since BLT is (today) impassible on a bike, this might be perfect. I think that Ill get the starlight pass at Cypress - seems inexpensive and evenings are when Ill likely get out anyways.

Got a bunch of  nice new gear yesterday from Siggies - I'm stoked to get back out there! Last time on skate skiis was in the Gatineau Park doing loops (just on the PQ side of Ottawa).

Anyone have any recommendations? Loops at Cypress? Other locations that are awesome?

Dec. 29, 2017, 10:58 a.m.

Got out to Cypress Nordic area yesterday and picked up my starlight pass. Was fun but the new snow was deep, heavy and clumpy and some of the trails were sketchy as a result. The groomer came out shortly before I left and what a difference - the new equipment felt good - but while I was there the snow turned to pouring rain and I ended up soaked. Will head  back this weekend for some laps. Got a good 8.5km in yesterday and re-acquainted myself with the pain that goes hand in hand with skate skiing. Hopefully Ill dump a bunch of weight this winter doing this.

No skate skiiers here?

Jan. 1, 2018, 2:21 p.m.

I was out here in Sunpeaks .The trail system here is kick ass, fast and super dry snow.

I'm not crazy about Cypress, its too hilly for my liking, needs a flatter circut to keep a nice quick flowing pace going. I still usually go up a few eves in the winter. Still a great workout.

Last edited by: bux-bux on Jan. 1, 2018, 2:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2018, 8:37 p.m.

A workout it is! The hills are painful but isn't that the point? Ive been out three times now - getting my stride back. 12km last time out at an avg of 13 kph - its coming along....Now I need to get waxing equipment again! It would be good if I could dump 20 lbs this winter

Next stop, 20km - maybe tomorrow eve.

Last edited by: Ddean on Jan. 2, 2018, 8:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2018, 10:30 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

A workout it is! The hills are painful but isn't that the point? Ive been out three times now - getting my stride back. 12km last time out at an avg of 13 kph - its coming along....Now I need to get waxing equipment again! It would be good if I could dump 20 lbs this winter

Next stop, 20km - maybe tomorrow eve.

The point for me is to get out in the winter, get exercise, fresh air and yes the workout. I just find Cypress frustrating due to the up and downs that never end. If you sk8 Silverstar, Sunpeaks, The Callaghan. The Trails flow way better and on Sk8 skis that to me is the best part, cruising at a good clip without blowing up.

I don't really have anyone to sk8 with these days, if you wanna do a Monday or Tuesday night sk8 at Cypress Ddean I'm down. Message me

Feb. 28, 2018, 9:04 p.m.

Managed to drag the wife up to Hollyburn x/c area last Sunday for some classic shuffling. A bluebird day and a 20% discount 'cause they had no tracks laid down.

Think I'll look for some skate shit on sale and take some lessons next year 'cause in a few years there won't be a next year, eh?.....or maybe snow will only be seen in teh pictures.

Last edited by: tungsten on Feb. 28, 2018, 9:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.