Single Concussion May Increase Suicide Risk

March 16, 2016, 8:31 p.m.

I hit my head hard last year, was examined and kept under watch for a couple hours and released without any concerns from my doctor. I haven't linked the issues that cropped up after hitting my head and continue to bother me but I suppose it's possible.

March 16, 2016, 9:53 p.m.

https://www.minnpost.com/mental-health-addiction/2016/03/kelvin-lim-psychological-impact-brain-injury-can-be-long-lasting

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 16, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

Noticed this article on pinkbike about Mark Dunlop a Kiwi who recently passed away. The comments mentioned that he committed suicide a week after getting concussed.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/mark-dunlop-memoriam-2016.html

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

March 16, 2016, 9:59 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2907394]

What I'm interested in is the development of protocols and guidelines for specific sports, and the dissemination of knowledge to participants…be it through educational campaigns, manufacturer action, leagues and associations, and the scientific community. What I have noticed is that while the risk is widespread, discussion and research on the issue is concentrated in key areas….albeit in many cases these focal areas are identified based on degree of risk and history of injuries. However, I would suggest that there are many sports in which the risk remains significant, the history of injuries under-reported, and the process of disseminating knowledge to participants (in a targeted manner specific to their activity) is woefully behind where it could be, or perhaps should be.

One has to wonder if today's kids might also be getting higher numbers of concussions not because of better protocols to deal with it. But the lack of activity in kids.

Compared to 30-40 years ago kids are way less active…less running around, doing things like balancing on logs and such. Basically learning to move their bodies in all planes. Add into this less sports at school and way to much focus on one sport…kids and youth could have less body control and such compared to what many of us learned growing up and doing multiple sports a year in gym class and so on.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 17, 2016, 8:08 a.m.

This topic is making me nervous .
I have had many concussions as a child and some as an teen and an adult.
I have suffered , depression , the Instant rage and the "other thoughts" through the out my life. I have learned to live with it recognizing I have "something " going on but I have a awesome wife and child and I need to get on with life and make it work somehow.
Growing up in the 70's there were no bike helmets, I still remember some incidents like it was yesterday. After being concussed last fall and in emerg it brought things home.
There is no turning back the clock on this issue.
All we can do is be cognizant of the issue and mindful of the outcome and ask for help when it's needed and remember there are people that care about all of us. If you need help ask and somebody will listen.

Wear a good helmet. I wear super 2r. MIPS already on my second one:(
Big dent..

March 17, 2016, 12:11 p.m.

One has to wonder if today's kids might also be getting higher numbers of concussions not because of better protocols to deal with it. But the lack of activity in kids.

Compared to 30-40 years ago kids are way less active…less running around, doing things like balancing on logs and such. Basically learning to move their bodies in all planes. Add into this less sports at school and way to much focus on one sport…kids and youth could have less body control and such compared to what many of us learned growing up and doing multiple sports a year in gym class and so on.

Wow. Really intriguing thought here. It certainly makes one wonder. I think there's always been a segment of bubble-wrap parents, but you ask a more profound and generalized cultural question that would be very difficult, but not necessarily impossible, to measure.

March 17, 2016, 12:40 p.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2911689]Wow. Really intriguing thought here. It certainly makes one wonder. I think there's always been a segment of bubble-wrap parents, but you ask a more profound and generalized cultural question that would be very difficult, but not necessarily impossible, to measure.

I've certainly seen first hand the difference in development between a child that was "helicoptered" and one that is "free range." I was astonished at the difference in levels of development between motor skills of one friends child versus another. even considering that there are variations in each child's development. One friend's child which was allowed to wander around and bail on their own a lot at an early age was able to approach stairs, know they were dangerous, and safely climb down the stairs at 9 months. another friend's child who is constantly held or helicoptered from "OMG" trips and falls, cannot negotiate stairs at age 2, almost 3.

However, on the topic of concussions. have had 2 serious ones which I recall. Playing rugby for 16 years I've certainly had many knocks in the head. but there are really only two serious ones where I wasn't sure what was going on and had lasting effects days to months afterwards. The latest one only happened two years ago, and I'm still dealing with it. The headaches still come, days when I can't seem to focus because I'm dizzy. On those days, which may last up to a week I can be subject to random bouts of anger. I can't say I've ever experiences this in my life where I go from 0-100 in a split second of rage. It's tough to deal with. I feel like an asshole every time it happens and I don't really know how long this will last. I try to do exercises my physio gave me to help reduce the headaches, but the shift in the brain I'm not sure I can do much there but try to watch for new mental triggers before they get out of hand.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

May 24, 2016, 2:23 p.m.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/25/sports/dave-mirra-cte-bmx.html?smid=fb-nytimes[HTML_REMOVED]smtyp=cur[HTML_REMOVED]_r=0

I hope we soon find a way to diagnose CTE.

May 25, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

That's a buncha' fuckin' hoooey.
I took a rolling boulder to the head when I were about 9yr old.
There is still a flat spot on my skull where it struck.
No wait! My oldest bro' dropped me on my head when I was like 18 months old!?
Then, a few year ago the dude who was dating my wife when I met her took me down Slippery Canoe and I smacked my head so fucking hard it tingled for about two hours afterwards.
And I've never ever thought, not once, through all the hard times this rotten, low rent pretentious provincial backwater piece 'o shit town can dish out, that loading some double ought buck in my Winchester Mod. 12, putting the muzzle in my mouth and and using a big toe to actuate the trigger was an option.
Ever.
Maintain brother.
You are your greatest resource.
True story.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.