Selling Of ADD

Dec. 17, 2013, 4:40 p.m.

Study at UBC a few years ago showed that more ritalin was prescribed to those in the lowest socio-economic levels.

http://www.chspr.ubc.ca/pubs/journal-article/prescription-methylphenidate-children-and-youth-1990-1996

between 1990 and 1996 it was just over a 10fold increase in prescriptions.

Sadly most were not properly evaluated, and many still are prescribed ritalin when many other factors are likely sources, including poor nutrition, reaction to dyes or chemicals in foods, relative age compared to group etc.

Like any prescription (take statins for example) the process is prescribe then figure the end game later.

Rather than trying the more exercise, remove sugar / coke / fruit loops / nitrates from the diet and evaluating the true cases, our stressed medical system goes for the prescription pad first.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Dec. 17, 2013, 4:48 p.m.

Syncro…when you are an adult and feel like your an outsider it is easy to think something is wrong with you. And we have tremendous pressure from peers and family to fit into this image of how they want us to be. And if one doesn't you hear the excuses and comments about how there is something wrong with you. And we tend to want to fit in and be like everyone else.

Believe me, I know. I listened to my mother 12 years ago and because I was still not mature enough to be wary of her input. Went to the shrink and got the Ritalin for the second time. While people said I was better I realize now I wasn't. I was something else, fitting some image that made everyone else happy. The scary thing is they want you to take these drugs but they don't explain to adults the side effects. Which in my case led to a panic attack….racing heart rate for no apparent reason. So it can screw up my heart rate.

But it was the second thing that made me toss them. February 2003. Joely said I wasn't the same guy she knew. To robotic and to calm. Tossed them and a while later she observed she saw what she liked about me return. Sure there are bad days like any other human. But a lot of it is more learning things that will essentially create problems for ones self. Like large social gatherings for example in my case. And then figuring out what helps you function.

i don't recall saying i feel like an outsider. as well your experience with family sounds vastly different from mine - i don't experience that sort of pressure at all.

i'd ask what your issues are and what steps you took to correct them without medication. i'd also ask how your issues affect your day to day life, and if you are not able to control them (with or without medication) what sort of impact they have on your ability to function at the level you want to.

the choice really comes down to the individual once they have exlored all the options available. if options besides medication are not allowing them to live the life they desire then medication should be considered. once medication has been introduced then the individual needs to re-evaluate their lifestyle and determine if the benefits outweight the drawbacks and then decide if it's something they wish to continue with.

in your case it may be that you either didn't need medication to start with or were prescribed the wrong type of medication for the symptoms you present. that's something that needs to be explored between yourself and yoour physician.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 17, 2013, 5:39 p.m.

my cousin's kid suffers from ADHD. Turns out if they allow him to stand in class while the teacher instructs he can manage to focus and does really well. Have him sit and….well not so much.

The other part I found was teaching style had an effect once I was in High School. Classes like math, physics, chemistry, and english where teachers went on and where about as exciting as watching bread mood grow. Well… day dreaming and such occurred. Only class not counting gym class where I did well was history from grade 10 on. Simple reason was the teacher made the class stimulating.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 18, 2013, 1:07 p.m.

The other part I found was teaching style had an effect once I was in High School. Classes like math, physics, chemistry, and english where teachers went on and where about as exciting as watching bread mood grow. Well… day dreaming and such occurred. Only class not counting gym class where I did well was history from grade 10 on. Simple reason was the teacher made the class stimulating.

That is a challenge, simply because it is easier to teach from the front of the class room - but teaching any subject more or less means that the students need to figure it out on their own, and apart from finals and application/assessment procedures we hardly ever work alone.

Make the student who is challenged with sitting still (there are likely a few others) work together, switch partners, walk around a bit etc. Get the student involved in talkative situations in which his challenge can turn into an advantage, IF the student is motivated and sees processing info and learning as something worthwhile and (sometimes even) fun.

Anybody ever came across the work of Norm and Kathy Green, Think - Pair (Square) - Share? It cannot be used in any given context, but can be of great benefit and help if used properly, especially with students who have concentration issues, at least in my experiences from the last 8 years.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 28, 2013, 5:53 p.m.

I'm sure alot of the kids with "mild" add or adhd would notice positive changes if they're parents forced them outside to burn off some energy instead of sticking them in front of a TV with a bowl of sugar-o's.

www.webmd.com/parenting/features/busting-sugar-hyperactivity-myth

Don't blame it on the sugar cereal. Blame it on the parents.

Dec. 28, 2013, 7:29 p.m.

ritalin is pretty fun

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Jan. 2, 2014, 9:10 a.m.

No offense, but sounds like most kids. My kids also get good grades in the subjects they like and bad ones in the ones they don't and they need to learn to focus and apply themselves. They also need daily exercise.

It sounds like people have diagnosed childhood as ADD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Jan. 2, 2014, 12:46 p.m.

It sounds like people have diagnosed childhood as ADD.

LOL - so true…and sad too…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca