Selling Of ADD

Dec. 16, 2013, 9:12 p.m.

many, all 4 of us…I'll freely admit I don't have a fucking clue…yeah I know that these drugs help some people whom really need it, there are also many many people whom get 'diagnosed' and drugged who don't need it.

There is an article I have mentioned in the past that does bring up a excellent point. That is that the less gym class and general activity was encouraged the more pharmaceuticals where encouraged. Simply as physical activity decreased the use of pills increased.

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/riding-my-ritalin

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 16, 2013, 9:16 p.m.

I've taken ADHD questionnaires and two different doctors gave two different diagnoses. If you like yourself and you're functioning well then there's no reason to take drugs. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and we all develop systems, methods and lifestyles to best suit ourselves.

Fresh air and strenuous exercise does wonders for anyone's mental state and capacity and is cheaper and healthier than whatever big pharm is peddling.

Dec. 17, 2013, 5:36 a.m.

This post is the equivelant of,

open door

Your all stupid.

slams door shut

And

Have a nice day.

Look, Im not entering this debate….it looks as though only one other person who has posted in this thread has any life experience with ADD, so there is no point anyways.

…..but let me ask you this, How would you feel is the masses around you questioned the validity of your wife's struggle and diagnosis and or the use of prescription drugs to cope with her symptoms?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 17, 2013, 8:52 a.m.

I have personal experience with mood and attention disorders. There are folks that need medication to help calm things down so that they can learn the skills that they may have not been taught as a child.

Big pharma is selling too much and this is just another way for them try and over sell a product that is needed by a small portion of people.

My son is super emotional and easily distracted, but we know that is his personality. He loves to read and can sit for 30min when he likes the book.

There are 2 kids in his class of 20(10%) that need extra help from teachers because they 'have' types of mood disorders. I am convinced that one of the children is being way more affected by his diet that the parents are feeding him, the exposure to violent tv and video games(he is 6), a lack of proper sleep, and non-supportive discipline.

If I give my kids a chocolate milk, and they go to full retard in 15 min, not listening and literally bouncing off the walls. It is funny, for others, but not us. I don't let them have choco milk unless we are out in the outdoors or doing yard work, and never after 2pm, because it affects their sleep.

ADD is an issue, but not everyone has it.

Dec. 17, 2013, 9:37 a.m.

A child psychologist type told me there are lots of adhd types in Adrenalin sports like DH mtn biking/alpine skiing/ww kayaking/sky diving because they like the sensory overload and she pointed out that almost everybody in a group of ww kayakers we both knew exhibited some symptoms of ADD,all these people were sucessful adults who she pointed out had probably developed coping strategeys, she also said ADD is on a continuim …its not really black n white

Unless she was wrong …probably more ADD types here than you think

Dec. 17, 2013, 9:43 a.m.

A child psychologist type told me there are lots of adhd types in Adrenalin sports like DH mtn biking/alpine skiing/ww kayaking/sky diving because they like the sensory overload …

Unless she was wrong …probably more ADD types here than you think

I agree.

You could argue that in risk sports, the information is coming to the participant in an amount large enough, that their brains finally have to work to process it. and when presented with large volumes of sensation they are at an optimal level, but all the sensations would overload other people.

Dec. 17, 2013, 10:36 a.m.

Exactly the ADD are not overloaded by adrenelin sports in fact instead of being underutilized/under appreciated their brains finaly get to work at the optimum level and so they get the big payoffs in self worth …finally they are OK

Dec. 17, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

I have personal experience with mood and attention disorders. There are folks that need medication to help calm things down…

the other end is people that need stimulants because they need to speed things up in order to be able to focus and stay on task.

i think ADD gets dismissed by many people because the symptoms reflect behaviour that we all exhibit at one time or another. however for those that genuinely suffer from ADD/ADHD, after other remedies have been tried medication may be the best option.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 17, 2013, 11:24 a.m.

There are a lot of variables in the whole issue. Every day I see children at School who may suffer from it, some who are on drugs, and others that make me scratch my head because I think of the parents, the chidren's Situation at home…a lot of "conflicting" Input? Video games? Tv? What about the diet? Rich in sugar? How was the pregnancy of the woman? How about the first few months when the child was very small, and had only limited ability to cope with visual Input and the like? A lot of visits to the local mall? Bigger cities? Or rather lots of calm and controllable situations?

I remember reading an article about an experiment in which children apparently suffering from ADD/ADHS were sent to farms in rural areas, monitored by doctors and psychologists - and the funny thing was that most older farmers said that they did not understand the fuzz, the boys were just normal boys in need of outdoor stuff one can do on a farm.

I think society as a whole should re-evaluate the role of children and what "we" want them to be - Little grown-ups, who should behave properly and accordingly?

I know that in some cases medication does help - but where do we as parents, teachers, etc draw the line, and what is acceptable - and for how long has it been that way? Would Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer be on medication as well?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 17, 2013, 11:50 a.m.

i think it's not so much the drugs that are the problem, but the way they are overprescribed in the zeal to make big profits. for the people that genuinely need help these medications can be a real help. it's a question of putting people before profits.

personally, i've debated the idea of stimulants for ADD for quite a number of years and have always erred to the side of no. however, i'm now at a point where it makes sense for me to try them and i wonder if it's something i should have started years ago. i do feel that the decision to start these types of medications should come as a last or close to last resort though after other methods for personal improvement have been tried.

i can easily say that for those who do suffer with ADD, it can be quite debilitating wrt to one's ability to lead a rewarding life.

Syncro…when you are an adult and feel like your an outsider it is easy to think something is wrong with you. And we have tremendous pressure from peers and family to fit into this image of how they want us to be. And if one doesn't you hear the excuses and comments about how there is something wrong with you. And we tend to want to fit in and be like everyone else.

Believe me, I know. I listened to my mother 12 years ago and because I was still not mature enough to be wary of her input. Went to the shrink and got the Ritalin for the second time. While people said I was better I realize now I wasn't. I was something else, fitting some image that made everyone else happy. The scary thing is they want you to take these drugs but they don't explain to adults the side effects. Which in my case led to a panic attack….racing heart rate for no apparent reason. So it can screw up my heart rate.

But it was the second thing that made me toss them. February 2003. Joely said I wasn't the same guy she knew. To robotic and to calm. Tossed them and a while later she observed she saw what she liked about me return. Sure there are bad days like any other human. But a lot of it is more learning things that will essentially create problems for ones self. Like large social gatherings for example in my case. And then figuring out what helps you function.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 17, 2013, 2:54 p.m.

February 2003. Joely said I wasn't the same guy she knew. To robotic and to calm. Tossed them and a while later she observed she saw what she liked about me return.

I think this hits the nails on the head. People are diagnosing personality types as medical conditions.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Dec. 17, 2013, 3:40 p.m.

my cousin's kid suffers from ADHD. Turns out if they allow him to stand in class while the teacher instructs he can manage to focus and does really well. Have him sit and….well not so much.

Dec. 17, 2013, 4:11 p.m.

The sit/stand thing could be (not saying it is in this case necessarily,) the fact that prolonged sitting is not good for you physically and the child is simply listening to his body.

Another interesting thing I heard was that since the brain is at its most basic the organ that lets us move through the world, and higher cognition is layered on top of that basic purpose, by engaging the brain in movement (or just holding yourself up,) you're able to function better.

No I don't have actual references, but I have heard it from practitioners I follow.

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 17, 2013, 4:17 p.m.

I guess my point was/is, there is likely no one cure is the answer. I would think that almost no 2 people that suffer from ADHD or any other mental type of condition will respond to the same therapies or dosages when it comes to meds.

While one person likely needs meds to get things into a manageable state, another can likely control it through diet or exercise…then again, some people might need to manage it through all 3.

Dec. 17, 2013, 4:30 p.m.

I think this hits the nails on the head. People are diagnosing personality types as medical conditions.

while there is a connection between personality types and behavioural conditions, one is not dependent on the other.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer