seat tube angle related to back pain?

Jan. 1, 2014, 10:28 p.m.

like a lot of guys, i can be prone to some degree of back pain, and sometimes from mtn biking. i find that long and technical climbing requires a fair bit of pulling on bars and body english that works the back pretty hard. i have 2 bikes, a 'trail' bike and a very slack 'AM' bike with a slacker seat tube angle. on the AM bike i find i'm getting more of a sore back and more often. i searched the net and looks like some people feel seat tube angle plays a role. one guy pointed the front of the seat down and said that helped. may try it. any thoughts?

Jan. 1, 2014, 10:39 p.m.

My saddles on the AM bikes are at -1?, road bike is =, DH bike is needing to be tilted more forward.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 2, 2014, 6:26 a.m.

I was getting bad back pain when I was climbing with a 65mm stem on my Nomad. I put up with it for 2 years because, given a history of back injury, I figured it was just something I'd have to put up with if I wanted to keep riding my bike.

After a few years of suffering I happened to swap to a 55mm stem and also slid the saddle forward on the rails a little bit, all on the same bike, and have been pain-free ever since. I think the longer reach was a little long for me and putting weird strain on lower back muscles when climbing.

Jan. 2, 2014, 7:16 a.m.

There is no one answer to problems as what works for one may not work for the next rider. So the best thing is to note down what others have done and then make slight changes before every ride. See what happens and make another change if the problem continues.

Syncro will provide the usual core strengthening post so will leave that for him.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 2, 2014, 7:26 a.m.

My money says slide your seat forward.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 2, 2014, 7:55 a.m.

Slam your stem.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 2, 2014, 8:18 a.m.

I always go saddle nose high and slide most of the way forward but I had been running my road saddle flat cuz thats what I read was good

I recently changed it to nose high, it felt better and a cycle coach told me I looked noticably better on the bike, so what does that mean?

try different things I guess

Jan. 3, 2014, 9:10 p.m.

I tipped my seat lower in front partly for this reason. I think it might help lessen any rounding of your lower back. I find it more comfortable.

Jan. 3, 2014, 9:44 p.m.

I suffer the same thing and have found improvement by lowering my seatpost a cm and really focussing on core control when pedalling.

www.FVMBA.com

Jan. 5, 2014, 12:39 a.m.

thanks for the ideas. have tilted the saddle nose down a notch and it does feel a bit better. will consider the lower seat idea, never thought of that. normally for road climbs i like max extension. i had already moved the seat as far forward on the rails as possible which also was a good idea.