Scaphoid wrist break

Sept. 29, 2015, 3 p.m.

So I broke my scaphoid and had to get surgery and wires put in. The cast is on 8 weeks and then rehab after that. Anybody with similar experience they can give insight on.

Sept. 29, 2015, 3:12 p.m.

So I broke my scaphoid and had to get surgery and wires put in. The cast is on 8 weeks and then rehab after that. Anybody with similar experience they can give insight on.

Did mine a while back. Didn't have surgery though.

Take care of it, it's a finicky bone that can cause a lot of grief. I was in cast for 14 weeks, so 8 weeks sounds pretty short. Definitely take your time after that.

I bought a brace that had a metal plate that ran from my wrist up to the end of my thumb that I wore for a year while riding after my injury. I wore it for quite some time after I thought I was good to go, just to be sure.

Also, it's comforting to know how to test for a broken scaphoid, as many times I was in panic mode after a crash or a heavy compression because it was sore for so long. If you can test it and rest easy knowing it's just soreness and not a re-break then it helps a lot.

Ask the doc to show you… but basically the 2 test are you pull hard on your thumb away from your wrist in a king of straight line and a little bit down, and the other is pushing into the soft area between your thumb and wrist with your other thumb. If you can do this without sharp pain, you're most likely just fine.

Sept. 29, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

Did mine a while back. Didn't have surgery though.

Take care of it, it's a finicky bone that can cause a lot of grief. I was in cast for 14 weeks, so 8 weeks sounds pretty short. Definitely take your time after that.

I bought a brace that had a metal plate that ran from my wrist up to the end of my thumb that I wore for a year while riding after my injury. I wore it for quite some time after I thought I was good to go, just to be sure.

Also, it's comforting to know how to test for a broken scaphoid, as many times I was in panic mode after a crash or a heavy compression because it was sore for so long. If you can test it and rest easy knowing it's just soreness and not a re-break then it helps a lot.

Ask the doc to show you… but basically the 2 test are you pull hard on your thumb away from your wrist in a king of straight line and a little bit down, and the other is pushing into the soft area between your thumb and wrist with your other thumb. If you can do this without sharp pain, you're most likely just fine.

Thanks for the info. It sucks bc I work was a mechanic. I did some ligament damage from a wrist dislocation and broke 2 other bones.

How long until you were comfortable to get back on a bike and what brace did u wear after.

Sept. 29, 2015, 3:40 p.m.

Shitty deal man. I feel your pain.

I was actually riding while I had a cast on since it was all protected, but once it came off I stopped riding for about a month or so to get my mobility and strength back. Keep working on your range of motion constantly when you're out of the cast, as it's very important especially if you crash that your wrist can move in a full range of motion.

I don't really know how to describe the brace any better than I have. A physio should be able to assist, as that's where I got mine from. The metal plate is inside and it has velcro around your wrist as well as another around your thumb to hold it hard up against the plate. Not the most comfortable things to hang on to your bars with, but it was good enough to put up with it for a year and worth it if it saves you from a long term problem.

Good luck.

Sept. 29, 2015, 4:08 p.m.

brutal. sorry to hear. any possibility i/we can learn from how it happened and how to avoid? this kinda stuff scares the shit outta me. my buddy is brilliant at riding just beyond his level (which is why his level has gotten so good the last couple yrs) and falling fairly often. he seems to tuck in his arms and land on his folded arms and breaks ribs instead.

Sept. 29, 2015, 6:19 p.m.

i have a buddy who broke his. After it healed he broke once or twice more quiet easily. He ended up getting bone graft from his hip. That seems to have fixed it but it was a long recovery.

Sept. 29, 2015, 8:49 p.m.

brutal. sorry to hear. any possibility i/we can learn from how it happened and how to avoid? this kinda stuff scares the shit outta me. my buddy is brilliant at riding just beyond his level (which is why his level has gotten so good the last couple yrs) and falling fairly often. he seems to tuck in his arms and land on his folded arms and breaks ribs instead.

It was an off day for me and the bike at whistler. I had a few changes/ parts on the bike and my focus was not there that day probably from the lack of sleep. I ended up busting up my rear derailuer mid day.
The crash was at the end of the day at the start of lower whistler dh. I went off a drop at high speed and very nose heavy. I don't remember putting my hand out. Just sliding to a stop on my helmet and knees. I've had lots of crashes that looked much worse and walked away a bit sore. I've learned how to fall over the years but I guess I was tired. I normally wrap my wrists which seem to help when I do fall/ tip over.

So much time on my hands(only one useful hand) I dont know what to do with myself.