Running Year in Review and Goals for 2015

Dec. 31, 2014, 9:01 p.m.

Unfortunately while that is useful to sell running shoes there is far more that can be done having someone work with you to get better. There is far more to running well and comfortably than a gait analysis in a store and a suggestion for better shoes.

This would be like walking into Canski getting a skiing analysis on a special treadmill. Sold some boots, custom insoles, skies with bindings and plate, and such. Then sent up the lift to do the rest yourself.

One of my pet peeves with the running industry.

They are a shoe store. Selling shoes is their job.

Dec. 31, 2014, 10:32 p.m.

Your knees aren't worth a trip to the big shitty?

Oh sure be like that..

Where you located?

. Shopping in sechelt ..

Jan. 1, 2015, 11:16 a.m.

Isn't your form more important than the shoes you're using?

Where is the footing of your form? (see what I did there?)

Jan. 1, 2015, 11:18 a.m.

One of my pet peeves with the running industry.

sure. that's what they do.

http://www.events.runningroom.com/training/?id=5163[HTML_REMOVED]gclid=CK6q4ZDB88ICFYhbfgodbyIA1w

Jan. 1, 2015, 11:19 a.m.

hell, why am I advocating for a sport I can't stand?!? All I know I couldn't stand running until I got fitted with the right shoes due to knee pain, and now it's bearable for short periods.

Jan. 1, 2015, 12:19 p.m.

I second Tom and Kintec. Call them up and book an appointment. They'll throw you on the treadmill and check you gate (sp?) and where you strike. They set me up with a pair of Brooks Cascadia 8's and I'm happy. That said I ran 33 k on trails last year. I may try for a little more this year.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Jan. 1, 2015, 12:48 p.m.

Like anything you can geek out on running but I think people run how ever they run for the most part and the best one can hope for from a store that sells shoes is to get a good quality shoe that matches how they run

Most shoe stores will also do group runs ect just like a bike store does group rides for EG but nobody does free coaching

The flip side of a good shoe store is the shoes I got on sale from a forzani group box store which was coast mtn at the time, which were old stock, I thot were new but the guy at Stride [HTML_REMOVED] Glide said " those are old I can tell from the model number which changes every year and the sole is hard as a rock there is no cush left at all in the foam" also the shoes were wrong for my running style and I got the PF

Jan. 1, 2015, 1:19 p.m.

I personally feel that form is more important than shoes, although shoes are of course important.

Get a copy of "Born to Run" from the library just to get stoked, and also for some of the thinking behind minimalist shoes. Also recommend Chi Running for form suggestions and the emphasis on running efficiently and injury free.

I run in shoes from 4mm (primarily) to 12mm drop, and feel that switching between different shoes is good for your feet. One thing I will say is that since switching to lower drop shoes, wearing high-drop shoes feels like crap. Like wearing clogs and no feel for the ground. Will not go back ever. I've also found that wearing low-drop shoes has strengthened my feet and arches noticeably, so that I've now done away with all arch supports (Sole/Superfeet) in my shoes (except for cycling shoes).

Based on this, I would recommend shoes between 4-12mm drop with relatively low stack height and a flexible sole. Work more on form and worry less about shoes.

I would pick North Shore Athletics, Kintec, and Forerunners over RR any day. Forerunners has the best selection on the Shore, all three have great staff.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 1, 2015, 2:08 p.m.

Another Thing I Learned:

-Running (even at 2x/week in addition to road biking) is incredibly good for keeping the weight off. I've never been lighter and have been able to lose the extra pounds that I had from when I only biked. Not exactly sure what it is about running-may have to do with running on a relatively empty stomach and taking in only water on my runs (up to 2 hours).

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 1, 2015, 5:20 p.m.

2014 was a bad year of running for me, primarily due to a nagging foot injury. I hope 2015 is more like 2013, which was my best year by far. My goals for 2015 include;

- Participate in at least 5 races/events of various distances.
- Sub 40:00 10k (got 38 minutes [HTML_REMOVED] change in 2013, but never cracked 42:00 in 2014).
- Sub 1:25:00 half-marathon.

I'm going to look into the north shore running series as I think my old bones are ready for less km's on pavement… I'm also going to cycle more. I firmly believe that 2013 was my best year running due in large part to the fact that I commuted by bike a lot - it's such a great way to get cardio without wrecking your knees.

Jan. 2, 2015, 8:24 a.m.

2015 started with a bang, my first beer mile. I have no idea how people are posting such ridiculous times, I did it in 15 minutes and was trying hard to not puke on the last lap.

Anyway, in 2015 I'm working in some new zero drop shoes (Altra) and concentrating on switching to a more mid-foot strike. Hoping to be more consistent with runs than last year. Wife and I signed up for the two MEC races in the spring and I'll do the Seek the Peak again. Those should keep me honest.

Jan. 4, 2015, 10:09 p.m.

Signed up for my first of 5 events - the Chilly Chase on January 25th. Going with the 5k distance even though I really wanted to do the 15k distance. I took half of November and all of December off running so it's probably better to ease back in.

There's lots of good event info here: http://www.runguides.com/vancouver/runs

Jan. 6, 2015, 3:10 p.m.

My goals for 2014.
Do a RR clinic with the aim of completing my first Half Marathon

My results for 2014
Vancouver SunRun 10km - Completed
Vancouver BMO 1/2 Marathon - Completed
Seymour Valley 1/2 Marathon- Completed
Brooks Night Run 11km - Completed
Van Rock'n'Roll 1/2 marathon - Completed
MEC Grand Banana 1/2 Marathon - Completed (PB)
Vancouver Historic 1/2 - Did not start

Things I Learned This Year:

-Physio's who run are so worth the $$
-Injuries (not related to running) can mess up running plans, be flexible [HTML_REMOVED] patient
-trying to do 4 Half marathons in 6 weeks is too much for a first-timer.
-consistency in key to running

Goals for 2015:

I want to run more than I did in 2014 (so I have to beat 851.31km)
I want to complete in the Las Vegas Rock'n'roll half :)
Volunteer with a run clinic.
Get the hubby out for more runs with me.
More trail running.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Jan. 7, 2015, 10:06 a.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2854274]
More trail running.[/QUOTE]

This

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Jan. 7, 2015, 2:25 p.m.

I got into trail running in 2014 and bit my tongue after telling my running buddies they were crazy for doing ultras and ran my first! LOVED it! also did a bunch of tough 23k trail races (Squamish50 and Comfortably Numb) and some 5Peaks races.

my goals for 2015 are to keep running trails, do 2 ultras (Gorges and SQ50) and stay injury free through strength training. oh and also don't monopolize my time with running and ride more!

as for shoes, if you're in Vancouver i would check out Distance Runwear. Dave knows his stuff and they carry "alternative" brands like Altra, Pearl Izumi etc. On trails I rotate between Altra Lone Peak 2.0 and Salomon Sense Mantra. On road Pearl Izumi N1 are my new crack.