running to improve riding

Jan. 4, 2017, 12:02 p.m.

I personally hate running but I like indoor rowing just fine. I can handle the crazy intensity of the rower really well but it doesn't take long running before something in me bitches out. Either way it's good to be getting out and doing other things. Riding is a really imbalanced activity that improves greatly through cross training.

With the weather like this I'm trying to do two metabolic and three heavy lifting workouts a week. At some point too much long slow distance reduces strength and power, both of which are kind of necessary for technical riding. If you're going to cross train you might as well cover all the bases.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 11, 2017, 8:45 a.m.

Someone with more fitness knowledge than me once said "don't play insert favourite sport here to get in shape, get in shape to play favourite sport".

A couple years ago I had the unfortunate pleasure of being away from my bike for a summer, so I ran instead. I ran about 8km, 3x a week, instead. When I was finally able to get back on my bike, extended climbs were a breeze. For once in my life it was my legs giving up before my lungs.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Jan. 12, 2017, 9:54 a.m.

I actually find running makes my climbing worse. I think a lot of the benefit depends on where your overall fitness is, what you are giving up and how or what type of running you are doing.

For me, I think part of the problem for me is that if I am running then I am usually giving up miles on the bike instead of adding to them and doing less power work (that would probably help climbing).

Jan. 12, 2017, 1:30 p.m.

Someone with more fitness knowledge than me once said "don't play insert favourite sport here to get in shape, get in shape to play favourite sport".

A couple years ago I had the unfortunate pleasure of being away from my bike for a summer, so I ran instead. I ran about 8km, 3x a week, instead. When I was finally able to get back on my bike, extended climbs were a breeze. For once in my life it was my legs giving up before my lungs.

What type of running ,mostly flat road ? or trails ? and what type of climb , flat FSR stuff or techy single track stuff .

For me I discovered cross training made a huge difference on the climbs for-sure , never did any running . I did high intensity cardio twice a week via Kick boxing , and then did a couple days a week of circuit weight training .

The days I did weight I did a full body workout that was around 30min , and I just went non stop from one exercise to the next .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 12, 2017, 9:29 p.m.

What type of running ,mostly flat road ? or trails ? and what type of climb , flat FSR stuff or techy single track stuff .

I'd start with a 5 min warm up at a comfortable pace and then do 30 sec ob/off intervals using the timer on my watch, for the remainder of the run. Flat, paved trails. Climbing was of the FSR variety.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Jan. 13, 2017, 9:03 a.m.

skipping rope worked for me

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Jan. 13, 2017, 9:19 a.m.

I am still weeks away from getting back onto a bike and a couple months away from really riding like I really like , so in the mean time I am picking up a spin bike and going to start core training and stretching , may try some hill running or tire pulls at the local field is snow free .

And when I mention hill running it,s more of a fast paced walk from bottom to top , my knees can,t take the impact of running so I find some steep grades and push myself up them as fast as I can . Red Mtn has some short climbs that beat you up good #redsucks

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 13, 2017, 11:11 a.m.

I think this is totally true. Use the gym and more abstract fitness training to build a massive base of strength and conditioning. That way your activities become a place to express your fitness.

Rather than running I think most people would be better off skipping, doing HIIT/Crossfit type workouts or indoor rowing.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Jan. 14, 2017, 3:34 a.m.

I think this is totally true. Use the gym and more abstract fitness training to build a massive base of strength and conditioning. That way your activities become a place to express your fitness.

Rather than running I think most people would be better off skipping, doing HIIT/Crossfit type workouts or indoor rowing.

I have to agree, joined a gym again and currently just trying to get stronger. I want to create a baseline of strength before venturing into the HIIT stuff, if I have to. I noticed not being debilitatingly sore (as I expetienced from HIIT…might have been wrobg programming as well) but just focusing on strength/power is better for me after a long lay off.

Adding a little spinning on the Tracx I am positive that this coming season is better than the last one.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 15, 2017, 7:58 a.m.

we got runners using the bluff mtn bike trail system, even seen them volunteering for trail maintenance

Jan. 15, 2017, 10:01 a.m.

we got runners using the bluff mtn bike trail system, even seen them volunteering for trail maintenance

pretty much most of the Fraser Valley trails are supported by bikers , trail runners ,and hikers , even the odd group of horse people come out on Red as there is trails then can use as well .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 23, 2017, 6:28 p.m.

If you want to get better at climbing you should probably climb more.

This and only this. Period. Exclamation mark. Nothing else.

Jan. 29, 2017, 7:42 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/Saturday-Morning-Cinco-Series-305875019524181/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

ride with this group you will improve

#northsidetrailbuilders

June 29, 2017, 11:11 p.m.

both running and cycling are great forms of cardio. I do both too

May 15, 2018, 12:41 a.m.

I feel healthy