Rack pulls/Partial deadlifts

Dec. 22, 2013, 9:24 p.m.

I just started doing these and am finding them enjoyable. Anyone incorporate these in their workout?

My trainer requires them per the routine she gave me. I can see how they can build strength.

Interested in others experience with this move.

Dec. 22, 2013, 9:42 p.m.

I'm surprised a bodybuilder has this in their repertoire. I've used this to work on sticking points on my dead lift. I haven't studied bodybuilding training programs in well over a decade, so take my surprise for what it's worth.

Besides strengthening spots on the movement I'm struggling with at the time, I use them to further work on grip. No straps!

Dec. 22, 2013, 9:50 p.m.

I'm surprised a bodybuilder has this in their repertoire. I've used this to work on sticking points on my dead lift. I haven't studied bodybuilding training programs in well over a decade, so take my surprise for what it's worth.

Besides strengthening spots on the movement I'm struggling with at the time, I use them to further work on grip. No straps!

She is a former Canadian and American national powerlifting champion and deadlifts are her favorite exercise.

I am pulling 425 right now with some ease after the stiff legged ones at 275 for 3x10. My goal is 550 by the contest.

I am using straps right now as my goal is size on the back. My forearms will catch up.

Dec. 22, 2013, 11:18 p.m.

Interesting.. I thought physique comps were all about dieting and training not to lose muscle? When I tried to lose fat while training for strength I found it was the quick road to adrenal fatigue..

I did westside training for a few years then switched over to 5/3/1 when I realized I never wanted to lift equipped. The latter brought me surprising gains on the big lifts. I wonder if you're doing something similar.

If you are liking the dead lift, get Andy boltons ebook on it. Very detailed on pretty much every aspect you can think of.

Dec. 22, 2013, 11:35 p.m.

Interesting.. I thought physique comps were all about dieting and training not to lose muscle? When I tried to lose fat while training for strength I found it was the quick road to adrenal fatigue..

I did westside training for a few years then switched over to 5/3/1 when I realized I never wanted to lift equipped. The latter brought me surprising gains on the big lifts. I wonder if you're doing something similar.

If you are liking the dead lift, get Andy boltons ebook on it. Very detailed on pretty much every aspect you can think of.

I suppose that is the goal. I want to lose fat and not lose muscle. But,I can't lift and not increase the weight. Where is the fun in that?

I am trying to increase each time I go in. Either reps at a given weight or the weight itself. One I get 12 reps, the weight goes up.

I want dumbbell bench back up to 100lbs for 3 sets for 12 reps. I am back at 80 for that. Similar goals for all lifts.

I believe heavy dead lifts and rack pulls will assist in over all power on all lifts as they activate the really big muscles really well.

I will be posting before and after numbers and photos too.

Will check out Bolton's stuff.

I like to lift as heavy as I can and ride my bike as fast as I can too!

Dec. 30, 2013, 11:28 p.m.

Got 295 on the stiff legged lifts and 455 on the rack pulls today.

I think I made too much noise at the gym, but you got to breathe! I don't know how people can lift in absolute silence, not making a peep.

Dec. 30, 2013, 11:49 p.m.

with good mechanics the only sticking point in the deadlift should be breaking the bar off the floor. once it's up and moving it should be a guaranteed lock-out. but i know you weaker mortals have issues with these sorts of things. ;)

i like rack pulls simply for the overload factor, and like you say a good way to work on grip strength.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 31, 2013, 12:21 p.m.

Have you tested your 1RM of your conventional Dl yet? What's your max without straps?

The most you ever hear from me at times will be the sound of forced air. Hopefully from my head.

I like to use double overhand grip until I can't anymore, then switch to alternating.

Dec. 31, 2013, 1:06 p.m.

Have you tested your 1RM of your conventional Dl yet? What's your max without straps?

The most you ever hear from me at times will be the sound of forced air. Hopefully from my head.

I like to use double overhand grip until I can't anymore, then switch to alternating.

no it's been a while. i'm not using straps either; same as you i like to do what i can dbl overhand and then switch to alternate. my right hand with the missing finger is my limiting factor on what i can do overhand but i've been able to squeeze out 7-9 at 3 wheels as long as i have chalk.

i haven't been pulling or squatting significantly for a few months now due to some back/sacral issues. i can still go hard but there's no point as i just re-injure myself. i've been pushing the weight on the step-ups tho so it's keeping my legs conditioned anyways. with a new mattress in the last few weeks i'm noticing less pain.stiffness when i wake up in the morning so i know i'm getting close. the test tho is whether i can squat pain free and for now as soon as i go over 2 wheels there's a bit of discomfort there so i stay below that and just slowly test it each time i lift.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 31, 2013, 11:51 p.m.

The last time I pulled a heavy number was a month or so ago with an injury, but it was 365 off the ground with a double over hand grip with no wrap.

I did stiff legged lifts the other day with 295 for reps but was wrapped. Although, since I am not training my grip, I wrapped. However, the magic hook grip can add lots of weight without a strap. Just hurts my thumb.

I prefer an alternating grip. It just feels better.

Jan. 1, 2014, 8:14 p.m.

The last time I pulled a heavy number was a month or so ago with an injury, but it was 365 off the ground with a double over hand grip with no wrap.

Report back when you get a chance to test it.. will be interesting to see if it helps.

Where was your sticking point before? Off the ground or higher up?

Jan. 1, 2014, 8:56 p.m.

Report back when you get a chance to test it.. will be interesting to see if it helps.

Where was your sticking point before? Off the ground or higher up?

I will. The sticking point was knees up and moving hips forward.

The progress overall is good. Did pull ups today with bodyweight plus 50lbs for 8, 6 and 5 reps.

Getting pretty ripped quickly too.

As long as all my lifts increase I am happy.

Jan. 5, 2014, 11:29 p.m.

When I read the title, I thought you were a whimp.

When I read the post you have my interest.

What's your workout week like right now?

Jan. 7, 2014, 9:42 a.m.

When I read the title, I thought you were a whimp.

When I read the post you have my interest.

What's your workout week like right now?

My workout week is pretty simple. I lift 5 out of 7 days and train a muscle once in seven days.

- Monday: Hamstrings - stiff legged deadlifts, rack pulls, hamstring curls and calve raises.
- Tuesday: Shoulders - machine presses, rear raises, lateral raises, front raises and high pulls then abs
- Wednesday: Back and biceps - pull ups, pull downs, seated cable rows, machine rows, alternating dumbell curls, incline hammer curls, double bicep cable curls. Abs
-Thursday off
-Friday: Legs - Smith sumo squats, step backs, step ups, leg press, leg extensions, seated calf raises
-Saturday: Chest and triceps - Flat dumbell press, incline dumbell press, incline fly, ped dec, tricep push downs, over heard cable extensions, cable kick backs, abs

I do cardio of some sort 7 days a week.