Plank Routine

Feb. 8, 2014, 3:44 p.m.

Love this one. Keeps you moving…as much as you move doing planks anyways;)
Write the list down on a piece of paper to have on the floor under your face for reference…you only need one copy, that person can call out the moves…

3 seconds per exercise = 1 minute total
6 seconds per exercise = 2 minutes total
9 seconds per exercise = 3 minutes total
12 seconds per exercise = 4 minutes total
15 seconds per exercise = 5 minutes total

front elbow plank
right arm elevated
left arm elevated
right leg elevated
left leg elevated
right arm and left leg elevated
left arm and right leg elevated
right side plank
left side plank
right side plank with leg up
left side plank with leg up
top of pushup position
right arm up
left arm up
right leg up
left leg up
right arm and left leg up
left arm and right leg up
right side plank, elbow locked
left side plank, elbow locked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl1bUFj1a44

Feb. 9, 2014, 11:10 a.m.

good idea but the guy in the vid is using poor technique. for those arm/leg elevated moves he's not in a proper plank position.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 9, 2014, 11:39 a.m.

…back and leg in a straight line right?(that's how I try to stay)
Should the elevated leg stay inline as well?

Feb. 9, 2014, 2:02 p.m.

Yeah I thot the same thing that guy has his ass up in the air lots which is what people do when its too hard to do a proper plank, its my understanding in a proper plank you should be able to draw a line from ankle thru the trunk to top of head … its probably better to do a proper simple plank than a fancy one wrong?

Feb. 9, 2014, 2:12 p.m.

…back and leg in a straight line right?(that's how I try to stay)
Should the elevated leg stay inline as well?

Yeah I thot the same thing that guy has his ass up in the air lots which is what people do when its too hard to do a proper plank, its my understanding in a proper plank you should be able to draw a line from ankle thru the trunk to top of head … its probably better to do a proper simple plank than a fancy one wrong?

yup, you guys got it right. and like xxx'er said think of drawing a straight line through the ankles, hips, shoulders and ears.

the other thing he's doing wrong is rotating the upper body when he raises his arm. you should be able to raise your hand above your head while keeping the arm straight and the chest parallel with the floor. same thing with a raise leg, you should be able to get your foot above your hip while keeping the hips parallel with the floor and not raising them up either.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 9, 2014, 4:45 p.m.

A spotter from time to time can help ensure you're holding proper alignment

Feb. 9, 2014, 6:38 p.m.

Can someone explain how this routine is in any way superior to a weighted compound lift such as front squats?

Besides the lack of equipment required.

Feb. 21, 2014, 12:07 a.m.

Can someone explain how this routine is in any way superior to a weighted compound lift such as front squats?

Besides the lack of equipment required.

you'll build core strength faster with this than through squatting and lack of eqpt is a bonus too.

but the core strength developed through squats will be more functional.

bit of a trade-off.

from my own personal experience i basically never do any specific core training, but i can still do a lot of these facy ab exercises that are ll the rage with the kids these days. that of course comes from squats, deadlifts, cleans, step-ups, push presses, etc.

Ellen Langer