micro-progression and training goals for 2016

Jan. 4, 2016, 9:46 p.m.

something sort of new to try for 2016 - micro loading.

the idea is relatively simple, making small, steady increases in your training routines. for cardio based programs this might be aiming to cut your 10km run time by 15 seconds each time once per weeking resulting in cutting your 10km time by 13 minutes over the course of a year. a similar idea would be adding 2lbs to your squat each week, thereby adding 100lbs to your squat over the course of a year.

you wouldn't necessarily have to make the same amount of improvement each week, but the goal is to make some improvement every time you do your thing.

so like starting today, add 1 push-up per week to your total and by the end of the year you could be doing 60 push-ups in a row.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 5, 2016, 2:25 a.m.

That is a great idea, I am currently trying this with lifting…nudging up the load very lightly, and sometimes just getting the reps in without caring about the weight at all. Knee surgery has taught me quite a lot.

Not thought about applying it to running, since I first want to be able to run 5-10 km smoothly and gracefully.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer