McMaster Study on Weight Loss and Muscle Gain

Feb. 3, 2016, 7:41 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/how-to-lose-weight-and-gain-muscle-fast-new-mcmaster-study-1.3423359

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 4, 2016, 8:55 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/how-to-lose-weight-and-gain-muscle-fast-new-mcmaster-study-1.3423359

They have proven what most bodybuilders have known for years. Training hard is hard though. But, the eating part is even harder.

Feb. 4, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

I'm a big fan of shorter duration and higher intensity training. I believe there is a body of research that favors this too. Another big plus is that you save time. Resting on the Nautilus machines, checking into Facebook between sets is not the way to go, IMHO. Unless my body is pleading for an "easy day" I try to make the most of my time by structuring all sets at as grueling a pace as possible.

High intensity (anaerobic) training also helps endurance. Even when I was training for marathons, I would do 1 or 2 days of sprint workouts a week. Pushing your body's anaerobic chemistry to the limit helps to acclimatize your body to functioning at or near the anaerobic threshold (most simply described as the performance level where lactic acid build up). Functioning just below the anaerobic threshold is where elite endurance athletes reach their peak performance.

Feb. 4, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

High intensity (anaerobic) training also helps endurance. Even when I was training for marathons, I would do 1 or 2 days of sprint workouts a week. Pushing your body's anaerobic chemistry to the limit helps to acclimatize your body to functioning at or near the anaerobic threshold (most simply described as the performance level where lactic acid build up). Functioning just below the anaerobic threshold is where elite endurance athletes reach their peak performance.

This is more fun. I incorporate hill sprints up a 13% hill in my neighbourhood. It blows my lungs up, but the next flat run is hella easy. Way shorter time that a 10-12km run too.

Coupled with heavy (for me) dead lifts and strength training is the way to go. I am more durable now at 41 than I was at 21.

Feb. 4, 2016, 3:17 p.m.

A buddy was complaining to his wife that the new dryer was shrinking his pants to which she replied that it wasn't the dryer it was the refrigerator