Mar/Apr/May 3 month challenge

April 16, 2014, 12:36 p.m.

Went for a run late enough there was no one around to watch me stuggle on a set of monkey bars. I did 5 bad pull-ups. I'll put my goal at 15 like the others in this thread, but my first goal is getting the proper form. I'll look for Loopie's pdf.

April 23, 2014, 8:38 a.m.

now that biking season is in full swing I'm finding it pretty hard to stick to my workout routine/personal goals

April 23, 2014, 8:46 a.m.

now that biking season is in full swing I'm finding it pretty hard to stick to my workout routine/personal goals

This is easy to deal with. Acknowledge that your true goals are as follows:

1) Enjoy biking
2) When not biking, maintain your strength

Figure out how much you will be doing 1, then set up a program for 2 that is realistic.

That could be a single, full-body workout day every week. Another thing to consider, forget about a 7-day training cycle. Turn it into a 10-day or 14-day cycle if it makes sense.

I love strength training, but a powder day is a powder day. Nothing beats that and the gym takes a back seat.

June 9, 2014, 10:39 p.m.

Turned out a pull up and a chin up were different things. I actually started out at 3 pull ups. I got up to 10. I also dropped my regime in favor of riding until bedtime.

June 12, 2014, 1:28 p.m.

Long time listener, first time caller.

Can do 3-5 pull ups now, shooting for 15.

Didn't meet my goal, but I can now crack of a set of 7 and then a set of 6, which is good enough for the girls I go with.

June 12, 2014, 1:39 p.m.

Didn't meet my goal, but I can now crack of a set of 7 and then a set of 6, which is good enough for the girls I go with.

nice, any improvement is good. what were you doing to help increase the number you could do?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 12, 2014, 3:10 p.m.

nice, any improvement is good. what were you doing to help increase the number you could do?

Nothing really, just did pull ups when I had the chance. Which was usually when my daughter was playing at the park, as long as there weren't too many other parents around who would think I was some kind of weirdo muscling their kids out on the monkey bars.

June 23, 2014, 5:21 p.m.

Nothing really, just did pull ups when I had the chance. Which was usually when my daughter was playing at the park, as long as there weren't too many other parents around who would think I was some kind of weirdo muscling their kids out on the monkey bars.

to make real progress you've got to have some sort of training plan and put it into place. even something simple as making a commitment to twice a week doing 2 sets of as many pull-ups and then 2 sets of as many chin-ups as you can will yield significant results. throw in a similar thing with push-ups and one legged squats and you've got a full body workout you can bang off in about 20min.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 24, 2014, 1:50 a.m.

Nice, the other day I read a short interview in a Muscle And Fiction magazine at the local train station book shop with the manager of Gym Jones of Mark Twight/300/Man of Steel fame.

And he said that time is not an excuse, if every grown up would crank out ten push-ups on the other, every day the results would definitely add up and one should imagine the number done in a year. A tad extreme - but he had a point, I think, and your post reminds me of it.

I have started to lift again (only running sucks), and my plan is to be able to lift my body weight for ten reps (DL and Back Squat) again in three months, be able to do ten perfect (no forced reps) dead-hang pull ups, strict Military Press at least 3/4 of my bodyweight and be able to do a TGU with half my bodyweight.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

June 30, 2014, 8:40 a.m.

I've been thinking about summer goals, so I'll give myself until Sept/15 for:

- 25 pushups, good form, controlled (current = 10)
- 15 pullups, going down to a full hang in between, no cheating (current = 3)
- 45 minute Grouse Grind (current = 59 mins)

These might be hard, there's lots of camping and drinking to be done this summer, we'll see.