Mar/Apr/May 3 month challenge

March 5, 2014, 9:24 p.m.

here are the three categories for the current 3 month challenge.
pick one, state what you can do and what your goal is.
prize is your choice of any shirt from the nsmb online store!

http://store.nsmb.com/

1. max number of bodyweight chin-ups (underhand grip)

2. 6km run time

3. max number of superman planks

for more info see here: http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=158918

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 6, 2014, 10:25 p.m.

chin-ups

current: 10
goal: 20

March 9, 2014, 4:28 p.m.

Chin-ups:

Current 5
Goal 15

I am restarting gym training after a car accident, I once was able to do 10 pull-ups, so working up to 15 by May seem possible but pretty challenging

March 15, 2014, 2:30 a.m.

Currently I am not in the mood for a challenge like this. At present I am too preoccupied with work to find the energy needed for stuff like this.

Anyways, I did not want to whine about my Situation, just ask a quick question that popped up in my mind while reading this.

How is the chin-up to be executed? Legs folded behind the body, hanging straight down or with feet slightly in front of the body, legs straight?

Full chin-up from hang? Dead-stop-ish? Just curious.

I found out that 8 chin-ups with my legs behind my body, folded are not as difficult as doing them with nearly straight legs out in front of the body (no, not 45 degrees, just a bit).

The center of mass changes and makes it way more interesting and useful for strength development. And to make it even more interesting and challenging I started to let my body hang for a second or two, with lats engaged and shoulders braced to not hurt or damage my joints.

Coming back to the challenge:

- Currently in the 8 rep range of chin-ups.

- At present, I run 6 km in roughly thirty minutes. Sometimes 32, sometimes 30. Takes a lot of effort if a rise is in there. How does the saying go….does not have to be fun to be fun? Once a week I am off for a faster run, once a week for a run that takes longer but where the tempo is not that high. Did 12.45 km in 1:31 last weekend.

- superman planks, no idea. Have not trained planks properly for quite some time now. But should do them again, good for running.

If I have my desk free of any waste paper I have to look at, I think I might do it.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 31, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

bizump!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 31, 2014, 9:32 a.m.

How is the chin-up to be executed? Legs folded behind the body, hanging straight down or with feet slightly in front of the body, legs straight?

Full chin-up from hang? Dead-stop-ish? Just curious.

legs can be bent at the knees, full arm hang, no bounce at the bottom, no swinging, chin just above the bar.

Ellen Langer

March 31, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

Wasn't to familiar with the superman plank, is that alternating superman plank? count how many raises?

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

March 31, 2014, 4:34 p.m.

Wasn't to familiar with the superman plank, is that alternating superman plank? count how many raises?

yes, alternating supermans from the plank position. doing each side counts as one rep, ie one left and one right would be one rep, 10 left and 10 right would be 10 reps.

Ellen Langer

March 31, 2014, 6:12 p.m.

yes, alternating supermans from the plank position. doing each side counts as one rep, ie one left and one right would be one rep, 10 left and 10 right would be 10 reps.

How long do you need to hold it for?

March 31, 2014, 6:15 p.m.

How long do you need to hold it for?

you don't need to hold it, just do the reps for as amany as you can.

Ellen Langer

March 31, 2014, 11:03 p.m.

Ok cool thanks ill test myself, I need an ass whooping. Gotta find somewhere that has a chin up bar or maybe set one up at the shop hahah.

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

April 1, 2014, 6:50 a.m.

Stuck at 7 chin ups.

Goal 20

I read about a technique that every session you end with 30. Even if you are doing sets of 1, with 2 min of rest inbetween.

Going to give it a try.

April 1, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

Long time listener, first time caller.

Can do 3-5 pull ups now, shooting for 15.

April 2, 2014, 10:35 p.m.

I'm in rehab physio at the moment…can't/shouldn't participate just yet. I REALLY wanna do a cycle of pull-ups tho…in due time…

I'll link up some pull-up info tomorrow that you ^^ guys might find helpful.
What's a simple direct-ish kinda way to share a 6.63mb pdf file here?

April 3, 2014, 10:08 p.m.

Punch " 7 weeks pull ups " into KAT…