lifting technique

June 28, 2016, 8:36 a.m.

i'm a bit of a closet anthropologist. people are interesting. and weird. i've noticed in the gym that the biggest dudes are also the most active on their devices. they spend all their time in the gym, when not lifting massive weight, texting/musicing/reading poetry on their devices. there is almost certainly a correlation but i'm not sure what's behind it. is it a reprieve from the pain cave, or are they tracking details of the workout?

another one is a lot of guys are warming up or working out their rotator cuffs and shoulders. seems wise. i do it as well, but it would seem that i may be making an error by using a dumbbell. it would seem to require a 10 pound plate. is it the fingers through the hole, or added air resistance that makes it the right way to do rotator cuff work? the gym is interesting and i'm always learning. i also think i dress wrong (along with my techniques) but a new wardrobe just ain't happening.

June 28, 2016, 9:53 a.m.

Just wear a tank top with arm-holes that go down to your waist and all will be good. Its not just fashion - its a real motivator. What guy wouldn't want guns as wide as his upper-body is tall? Its all the rage and called a "flying squirrel" physique.

June 28, 2016, 10:35 a.m.

i'm a bit of a closet anthropologist. people are interesting. and weird. i've noticed in the gym that the biggest dudes are also the most active on their devices. they spend all their time in the gym, when not lifting massive weight, texting/musicing/reading poetry on their devices. there is almost certainly a correlation but i'm not sure what's behind it. is it a reprieve from the pain cave, or are they tracking details of the workout?

Perhaps they have the front camera on to admire themselves while pretending to type.

June 28, 2016, 8:37 p.m.

Fak, so leaving my phone at home is the reason I ain't swoll yet?

June 28, 2016, 8:44 p.m.

another one is a lot of guys are warming up or working out their rotator cuffs and shoulders. seems wise. i do it as well, but it would seem that i may be making an error by using a dumbbell. it would seem to require a 10 pound plate. is it the fingers through the hole, or added air resistance that makes it the right way to do rotator cuff work? the gym is interesting and i'm always learning. i also think i dress wrong (along with my techniques) but a new wardrobe just ain't happening.

Public 'toning' gyms are a honey trap for a lot of insecure people. If you're gonna go, get some good in-ear head phones and a hat, otherwise you'll never get anything done.

As for the shoulder thing… if you have a desk job, unfortunately three minutes of silly dumbell waving three times a week is not enough to undo the damage of a mouse.

June 29, 2016, 5:08 p.m.

A few people I know use apps to track their workouts…I use Wendler's 5/3/1 app…and usually mess with it during rest periods. That may explain some of what you describe?

June 30, 2016, 12:58 p.m.

When I'm in the gym looking at my phone I'm usually timing my rest between sets or checking my routine list. But when other people are looking at their phone they're obviously texting, taking selfies or some other vain stupid thing…

www.natooke.com

June 30, 2016, 11:24 p.m.

A few people I know use apps to track their workouts…I use Wendler's 5/3/1 app…and usually mess with it during rest periods. That may explain some of what you describe?

yeah i've honestly wondered that. if you have a long/complex routine maybe there's logging/tracking tools on the device.

July 7, 2016, 9:46 a.m.

I use the stronglifts app. It auto times your rest, calculates your plates, etc.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.